Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving my job next week and as I somehow got lumbered with IT, they have asked me to let them have a guide to how to try to fix simple IT problems before referring it to their outsourced IT company.

eg;

- my printer wont print, what should I do
- my computer wont work
- how do I wipe my ar$e

You know the kind of stupid things I mean - anyone got a guide I could crib off??

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
  1. Is it plugged in and the switch on ?
  2. Are all the necessary connections plugged in and in the right sockets ?

Simple stuff really !

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ahh the good old crib sheet which they read and never follow.

In this cae I would say 'every computer problem is different, there is never a certain fix which will fix it'.

For a printer for instance:

- Could be unplugged
- Printer lead USB or Parallel could be loose or out
- Printer itself could be low on supplies
- Printer could be reporting an error message
- If its a network printer, the print server could be reporting an error
- A job could have got stuck in the servers print queue so you need to shut down the print server and restart it
- The computer may just need restarting
- The computer may have a fault with a certain piece of software
- The default could have 'suddenly' changed
- The printer may be dead
- The printer may have run out of paper
- The IP address of the printer may have changed if it's on DHCP
- The user may not have access rights to the printer
- The printer may be jammed

Just a few I can think of in a minute!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
1. Put ?100 in MOB's bank account.

2. Text him explaining the problem

3. Wait until he can be bother to help.

4. When he tells you to turn it off and on again, just do it.

5. If that fails and he tells you to punch it, just do it.

Simple really. Of course you could get them to sign up on the forum here and ask their questions, we are always willing to help.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an example of the kind of peasants I had to deal with;

"I cant open an excel file - it just reads gobbledegook" - so I went to have a look - she was trying to open it with Word................

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
As an example of the kind of peasants I had to deal with;

"I cant open an excel file - it just reads gobbledegook" - so I went to have a look - she was trying to open it with Word................
Fantastic !!!! lol. I sued to have "Why is my pc not working can you come and have a look for me?" I look under the desk.. it's not plugged in ! Gaaaaaaah. Muppets !

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
It's not just your place. Everyone seems to think Word is king in my place. They open word to open any type of file, whether it be PPT, JPG, GIF, PDF.....don't matter, straight to word.

Also, trying to explain directory structures?! I got one employee who still can't understand why we don't have an S drive to save her documents too, ours is infact G, but she just cannot understand it that there is no S drive. S drive to her is where everything lives, regardless as to whether that was in another company. 6 months on and shes still looking for the S drive! One day I got so bored, I mapped S to the same diretory as the G drive just to shut her up!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
So far no, but I have those who cannot for their life of them get their head around this:

Most users use the NHS Web Based e-mail, some prefer outlook.

'But if I send it to that doctor using his NHS mail address he won't get it because he's on outlook, hes not the same as us'.

[:'(]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of my faves is if you send an spreadsheet by email to someone - they make alterations to it, then they cant find it anywhere.

Save the bloody thing to your <whatever> folder first and then modify that copy [6]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
So far no, but I have those who cannot for their life of them get their head around this:

Most users use the NHS Web Based e-mail, some prefer outlook.

'But if I send it to that doctor using his NHS mail address he won't get it because he's on outlook, hes not the same as us'.

[:'(]
LOL....emailing docs....

I had a user the other day delete all the docs in her user area to "save space on the server", she had 2 drives mapped to the same place.

She wasn't happy when "both copies" had been deleted! ahahahahaha .......salavge.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
One of my faves is if you send an spreadsheet by
email to someone - they make alterations to it, then they cant find it
anywhere.

Save the bloody thing to your <whatever> folder first and then modify that copy [6]
Don't laugh, I did that recently [:$]

Opened a Word doc from my email, left it open & went on to do other
things. Came back to it later, totally forgetting that I had opened it
straight from email, & spent the whole afternoon making lots of
changes to it. Gets finished, pretty pleased with the result - hit
'Save' and no sooner had the finger reflex hit 'Close' than I had the
most awful realisation..........

[:$][:'(]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
One of my faves is if you send an spreadsheet by email to someone - they make alterations to it, then they cant find it anywhere.

Don't laugh, I did that recently [:$]
Opened a Word doc from my email, left it open & went on to do other things. Came back to it later, totally forgetting that I had opened it straight from email, & spent the whole afternoon making lots of changes to it. Gets finished, pretty pleased with the result - hit 'Save' and no sooner had the finger reflex hit 'Close' than I had the most awful realisation..........

[:$][:'(]
Ha ha ha [:D]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts