Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right....I cant resist it any longer....I know a few of you guys reckonned I shouldnt space my wheels out...but I would really like to try the look & see what people think because whenever I look at them I think..'they just dont fill the arches enough'.....[:mad:]

Here is my car at the & how much space I've got.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My question to you lot is what size should I go for.....10,15,20mm??? Also do I get the same size spacers for the front or smaller ones???

If any of you run spacers on Boras with 18s then I'd really like to see the pics of different setups. The wheels are 18x8 ET35s FYI.

Thanks in advance!!! [Y][Y][Y]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I used to run 15 mm hubcentrics on my Bora with 8x18 rims with a 225
tyre, should be fine, ideally you want hubcentric ones which come in
11mm and up for the front iirc

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glowplug......are they definately 20/10mms......they dont seem to stick out as much as I'd imagine they should.....personally i dont think those style of wheels suit the 'PHAT' look...perhaps thats whats making them look strange !!![*-)]

Tabs.....whereabouts in Liverpool are you......I wonder if I could be cheeky & pop round possibly at the weekend and have a trial fit of the 15mm rear jobbies...if its not too inconvienent for you???? [;)]

Yeah I was thinking of going with FKs....anyone tried www.wheel-spacers.co.uk ???

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I've seen that website before somewhere - It was one of the Adsense links. Anyway, as long as the spacers are hub centric and have the correct centre bore/mounting face then you should be ok. I'd double check that price against FK/Eibach/H&R though just to compare.

Yeah sure you're welcome to test one out. I've actually got some H&R 12mm spacers in the garage as well. Drop me a PM and we'll sort something out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This for me would be perfect......

Posted Image

I think it just gives it such an aggressive 'king of the road' stance!!! [;)]

Tabs...you have PM!!! [:)]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
First of all your motor looks ace mate, nice and black, LOL!!

I will have my 2P's worth and say put 5mm on the front and 15mm on the back, I fitted FK 15mm spacers on the back and here are some pics of what my motor a while ago in the summer and this is how it used to look, might help?:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
5's on the front and 15's on the rear [Y] I'm runing this setup at the moment (albeit with steelies lol) and its perfik'.

I would suggest getting Eibach or FK spacers btw - both good makes.
Spot on Tabs, that's what I think it should be as well!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.....nipped round to Tabs' this morning & he very kindly let me 'try before I buy' on his set of 12mm spacers. In our opinions it looked spot on & considerably 'PHAT'.....so I just need to get a set of longer tapered bolts...approx 52mm......anyone got any I can buy off them if not wheres the best place to buy them from??? I'm also gonna be going 5mm spacers on the fronts.....will I need longer bolts for them also or will standards do the job???

[:p][:p][:p][:p]

P.S. Thanks Tabs for showing me the 'turn ya key for 2secs....close the windows trick' LOL! [:$]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Halfrauds!!!! [:O][:O][:O] How much did you get robbed for them then??? [;)]

I've been advised to stay away from McGuards too.....how have you found them?? [:|]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hello sorry to go slight of topic but ive been trying to purchase set of a8s for few weeks now but cant get hold of any that fit the problem that am having is that the mounting face of the wheel on the back is too wide causing it to overhang the hub and rub very slight on the brake pads. Both places i bought the alloys from suggested spacers but i turned down the idea due to numerous people telling me it was dangerous and not a good idea. Say i was to do the same as wat is suggested above 5mm front and 15mm on rear would i have any problems but id definetly would want longer bolts dont like the idea of standard ones at all where can i get them from.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Halfrauds!!!! [:O][:O][:O] How much did you get robbed for them then??? [;)]

I've been advised to stay away from McGuards too.....how have you found them?? [:|]
Halfords indeed mate, I think that the longer wheel bolts cost me around ?30 and the McGuards weren't much more. I know that various people have slatted the McGuards but I have never had a problem with them?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Hello sorry to go slight of topic but ive been trying to purchase set of a8s for few weeks now but cant get hold of any that fit the problem that am having is that the mounting face of the wheel on the back is too wide causing it to overhang the hub and rub very slight on the brake pads. Both places i bought the alloys from suggested spacers but i turned down the idea due to numerous people telling me it was dangerous and not a good idea. Say i was to do the same as wat is suggested above 5mm front and 15mm on rear would i have any problems but id definetly would want longer bolts dont like the idea of standard ones at all where can i get them from.
Spacers are quite safe, but its best to buy from reputable manufacturers like H&R or Eibach as some cheapo makes may not be hub centric.

The setup quoted above will work well with most wheel setups. The only problem you may get is when the offset of the wheel is too low and spacer pushes the wheel out even more - this can lead to rubbing on outer portions of the wheel arch.

I'm sure there was another member on here who had the same problem with his A8's??

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
P.S. Thanks Tabs for showing me the 'turn ya key for 2secs....close the windows trick' LOL! [:$]
Sorry to sound dim, but can you elaborate ??? What happens ?
If you go to lock your car manually with the key and the windows are
still open and you hold the key in the lock posistion the windows will
go up as long as you hold the key in the lock posistion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
....and it you do it vice versa....hold it in the unlock position the windows will magically open!!!! You learn summat new everyday!!!! [:p]

BTW people....does ?35 sound expensive for a set of hubcentric Eibach 5mm spacers with bolts??? [:|]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts