Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay folks this morning when i got my car out of the garage the outside tempreature guage showed -0.5 * it had a ice symbol but i thought that there was ment to be an audible warning when i start the car if the outside temp is below 4.0 + and a visual warning on the display between the speedo and rev counter ! my Ride is a 1.6se and S reg ! Is this right ? [*-)]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I always wondered why I never got the bong on startup too! It scares the life out of me when it bongs whilst driving though[:O]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hay folks this morning when i got my car out
of the garage the outside tempreature guage showed -0.5 *
it had a ice symbol but i thought that there was ment to be an
audible warning when i start the car if the outside temp is below 4.0
+ and a visual warning on the display between the speedo and rev
counter ! my Ride is a 1.6se and S reg ! Is this right ? [*-)]
I have a S reg and I dont get the bong just the snowflake symbol.
My other half has a W reg and he has the newer computer and he gets the
bong. I am quite glad I don't as when I am in his car it frightens the
life out of me.

As you have an S reg I presume your computer is the older version like
mine on the left where the new ones are centre and are in the red
colour.

[:)]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k6tyw yeh your dead right iv no dong and i think i have the older computer [:(] i liked the idea of having a novilty dong and the red display !

·
Registered
354 Posts
Was -4 when i got up this morning, and a little slide on a backroad confirmed it(not to my passengers satifaction[:D]), also due to the fact i had to scrape the car brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................

·
Registered
570 Posts
if you all listen carefully to hte 'bong' its actually the same sound as the sound of the 'please put seat belts on!' in planes nowadays!!! Normally when things are about to get fun [;)]

·
Registered
829 Posts
if you all listen carefully to hte 'bong' its actually the same sound as the sound of the 'please put seat belts on!' in planes nowadays!!! Normally when things are about to get fun [;)]
It's also the same *bong* as the you're-out-of-washer-fluid bong, the you're-about-to-run-out-of-petrol bong and the this-engine-will-self-destruct-in-5-seconds bong! Infuriating!! [:mad:]

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
It's also the same *bong* as the you're-out-of-washer-fluid bong, the you're-about-to-run-out-of-petrol bong and the this-engine-will-self-destruct-in-5-seconds bong! Infuriating!! [:mad:]
No it's not?! the out of washer fluid/petrol is a ping, not a bong [:p]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
bit off topic but every time i hear that it reminds me when im on the plain when the fasten seat belt light comes on! pretty sad ay?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why do you get all of these warning 'bongs' ie: Fluid low and when something important like bulbs blowing you get nothing??!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I get a bong at start up for temp a more high pitched noise for water and fuel and service etc. V reg or later have the new computers but i used to have a T Reg 1.6 SE and i got the bongs and bings and all the other noises in that just the same.

Pehaps a Vagcom changeable thing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
don't you just hate that slpit second that you get the "bong"? it's that moment of panic that gets me every time even after 2 years of driving a mkiv lol.. do you know if it is possible to change temp display  from c to f if you dont have climatronic? and is it a  "bong" "dong" or "bleep"?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
don't you just hate that slpit second that you get the "bong"? it's that moment of panic that gets me every time even after 2 years of driving a mkiv lol.. do you know if it is possible to change temp display from c to f if you dont have climatronic? and is it a "bong" "dong" or "bleep"?
You can change the temperature, check www.ross-tech.com , the MkIV procedures, it tells you how to do it.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I get a bong at start up for temp a more high pitched noise for water and fuel and service etc. V reg or later have the new computers but i used to have a T Reg 1.6 SE and i got the bongs and bings and all the other noises in that just the same.

Pehaps a Vagcom changeable thing?
You can't turn off the beep for ice, or the beep for low fuel, but the beep for washer fluid can be turned off. I turned it on because I thought it would be handy in this weather, only to find out that the sensor is bust and the warning light is constantly on!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts