Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local garage keeps getting GTI's in (http://www.smartycars.com/morrisons/smartdetail.asp?VehicleID=3382&SellerID=9465&Origin=Glass) and it pains me knowing I'll never get insured on one until at least I'm 21.[:(]

Ok that's me done.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I know what you mean.. i really want a 1.8 Turbo.. but i don't want to pay the insurance premium as its just stoopid money... on your own policy ?3k.. and even on named driver its still around ?1600 a year which imo is too much to justify... as my tdi on a named driver policy is only costing me ?620... i think diesel is the way forward though [:p]

Sat

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The grass always appears greener.

Enjoy your 1.6 - its a great car, its better than my 150[:O]

Let me explain...
I used to drive a 1.6 SE auto a lot (my mums) and in some ways the chassis is more suited to the SE than my 150. By this I mean the 1.8T (or 150 TDi) shows the short commings of the chassis (too much flex and compounded by the suspension set up).

BTW - I would also agree with Shiuming (except for the hair, I'm ok for that at the mo!!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe i have made a mistake but has anyone else noticed the car in the original posters link is priced at over 10 Grand!!!

Doesnt that seem a little high? Granted it has a very low millage but at the most i would say 6k, no where near 10k!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't get me wrong I love the 1.6 and think it's a fantastic machine but I'm so envious when I see everyone's perfectly modded cars (Cat and Shiu for example). I would just love my own because the Golf is my folks, I just use it more than them so they don't want me to do anything to it as my sister will be learning on it in a few years.

As for the muscle and lard, I would say its 50-50[:D]

My dad's friend is selling his gt tdi 150 in a few years so maybe that's an option, but your right Cat, I shouldn't be wishing it away, think of all the student fun I would miss in sunny Aberdeen!

I too thought the price seemed quite steep for that particular GTI, maybe I'm missing something.

On a side note, was anybody on here driving a black gti with a atmos dump valve around Union Terrace (Aberdeen) about 8:30 yesterday morning?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Im feeling your pain mate. Couple of years for me to wait until I could justify the insurance!

Peter
Whoops, thought you were talking about the MkV GTi. I could justify a MkIV, but ive driven a few and didnt think they were worth the insurance premium, but thats just my opinion!

And yea definately dont wish away these years mate! They're going too quick for me [:O]

Peter

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, though I would say it's far from perfect [:$]

Just remember as well, it has taken me 2.5 years for my car to look like this. For most of us it takes time and doesn't just all happen overnight. If I was you I'd be happy driving anything as a student, never mind a Golf [:D]

·
Registered
316 Posts
time flys too quick.. thats the fastest you ever want to be travelling..

so why worry too much..

i can't comment.. i've got what i want.. from working the day job.. but i don't worry about the cars too much..

i worry about the women... thats enough problem right there...

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol your probably right Carly.

Who knows, by the time I'm 25 I would probably be better getting a MKV he he. I have my Advanced Driving Test booked for the morning of the 22nd so hopefully that might make the insurance people a bit more relaxed. Picked up quite a lot from the course actually!

Don't get me wrong, being able to drive a car as a student is great, and your right, the fact it's a golf makes it sooo much better! [:D]

Don't get me started on the women situation Richie lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts