Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 2 minutes before reaching the end of a 200 mile journey, I hit a lovely pot hole which the local council had kindly circled with a small amount of paint.

I've got a 2002 V5 with 24k on the clock. It was carrying a fair load at the time, so the car was effectively lowered.

The ESP light, exhaust emissions warning lamp AND the EPC light were all illuminated at the same time, and have stayed illuminated. I last checked around 30 mins after finishing the journey.

After a few searches on the forum, it appears that it could be the lambda sensor, MAF or brake switch (I havnt check the brake lights yet).

I went for a quick spin and I'm pretty sure there was a flat spot in 1st gear at around 4000rpm, which makes me believe that there is at least something wrong with the MAF.

I need to do another 400 mile round trip tomorrow - am I mad to do it with these warning lights showing?

Any help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi . I recently hit a new speed bump near to where i live , but not a route i take very often , was dark and no warnings , one of those that go all across the road . I hit it at about 40mph , hell of a bump . i had to have my front wheels re-tracked and also my exhaust emissions light came on !? Not sure why but i just disconnected the battery for half an hour , to reset ECU , been OK since .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just disconnected the battery, hopefully the ECU will reset itself and the warning lamps will be gone. Otherwise I guess it is a trip to Listers VW in Stratford-Upon-Avon.

On a more positive note, yesterday I found out that my windscreen wipers aren't faulty on the intermmittent setting - I actually have a rain sensor which the seller didn't tell me about. And it seems to work well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously? I'd love to know if anyone has actually managed to get some compensation for damage caused by pot holes.

I just reconnected the battery after 40 mins, and unfortunately the warning lamps are back on again after a brief pause. The exhaust emissions lamp came on first, then the ESP, then the EPC. So that is ECU reset check done.

The brake lights appear to be working - does that exclude the possibility of a brake switch failure? If so, thats the first possible fault excluded.

I might look up a DIY MAF cleaning guide and give it a go - then worst comes to worst I can exclude the MAF and start worring about the Lambda probe.

·
Registered
347 Posts
anyone near you with vag-com to do a scan for you? should tell you what the ECU is seeing as being wrong. might just be a loose plug or wire somewhere...

Jamie

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Seriously? I'd love to know if anyone has actually managed to get some compensation for damage caused by pot holes.
I don't see why not. You pay for the upkeep of the roads and if one is not maintained properly (they know they haven't, that's why there was a circle around it), you're within your right to ask them to fix your problem. Take a photo of the pothole and go into the councl offices on Tuesday with it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Take a photo with something else in shot for scale.

A few years ago Sheffield council paid me over ?300 for repairs to my car after I hit a pothole. No arguments just a polite, detailed letter with photos and a report from the dealer listing the damage.

Funnily enough this has happened again recently with one of our works vans and we will be taking the same action.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, i'll take some pics and write the letter.

I'm starting a new job on Tuesday, so this really is the last thing I needed right now, especially as I'll be driving and parking at the train station everyday - I just hope it is something easy to fix.

I'm actually in the process of getting the good old fan problem fixed with a 40% contribution from VW UK, so at least it will tie in with having that done - although the manual is telling me that this new problem should be checked ASAP.

I've done a bit of research on VAG COM, looks like it might be worthwhile investing in it myself - although I havn't checked to see if there is anyone on the forum that is local to Stratford-Upon-Avon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a feeling that if the council has circled the pot hole then they will not pay out!

Don't know quite how it works, but when my Mum claimed a few years back after we hit a pot hole the inspector came out and looked at the hole with her and said that they would accept her claim as it was unmarked. If there had been a circle around it they would not have paid up.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Just because it's circled does not mean they don't have to pay out. There is no warning of the pothole, and the yellow circle does not constitute fair warning. The fact that it's circled means that it's been identified by the relevent people (highways agency/council employee), but nothing's been done about it yet.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to be logical about it: We pay for the roads to be appropriately maintained. The road is not maintained. The problem is identified. The problem causes damage - The damaged needs repairing. The costs should be picked up by those who have proved neglegent.

Having said all that, councils are very good at having their own little rules about stuff!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think you will be able to claim as the hole was circled.That means someone has reported it and they havent fixed it yet. This happened to me and i was told that as i was the first person to hit it, or report it ,they wouldent pay.

As for the warning light being on, this could be the brake warning light.The sensor is on the front near side wheel.Mine was ripped out from the back of the sensor,theres two black wires i think.

This can be expensive as it goes right back to the ECU , and should be replaced compleat.The other way is to cut and heat shrink the repair,though this can still cause problems as the sensor is so,well , "sensative" .

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How expensive are we talking? I've checked the brake lights and they were working fine - is any other way of telling without vag com?

I bought some electrical contact cleaner from Halfords today, although I havn't had time to use it yet, so that'll have to wait a few days.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I have a 2001 V5 170 and had similar probs recently.

I was driving along and the EPC, traction control and ESP lights came on out of the blue. No pothole, but having run a vag.com, there were numerous faults including knock sensor, running lean and air mass meter. With these lights on it developed a misfire and flat spots and a poor idle. Having cleared the faults, the car was OK until the lights came back on a week or so later. We put all the faults down to the airflow meter and replaced it, and touch wood its been fine since. Much quicker and responsive too.

Thing with airflow meters is that as they are hot wire, they are prone to damage through vibration, so it could well be that. It is a very weak point on mk4 Golfs and it wouldnt surprise me if that pothole damaged something. Of course though, as there are about a million other sensors, it could be anything, and you really need to run a vag.com

Exhaust emissions light would sound consistant with a lambda sensor failure, and having spoken to V5 drivers and read up on here it does seem a commonish problem. But surely it would signifigantly affect driving ie performance?? Again, you would really need to run vag.com

The EPC light does come on if the brake light switch is faulty or inop, as ive had it myself. However, after it was replaced, the light still came on with these other lights. I think it just means that there is an electrical problem of some sort.

VAG.com should indicate the fault(s)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I live in Warwick if you want me to look with my VAG-COM.

I can certainly check and clear the codes for you. We can even log the MAF and see if that indicates a problem.

PM me if you want to pop over.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to Milkfloat for being bloody helpful and doing a VAG COM read out for me and even switching on some handy features.

I finally got round to buying a new MAF and air filter (thought I may as well - it looked dirty). The MAF was giving zero readout on vagcom.

Initial results after fitting the new MAF are not good - everything lights up just as before. I've just disconnected the battery to see if it'll clear the codes after 30 mins.

Here are my VAG COM read-outs (hand typed unfortunately!);

Engine;

17833 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80) : Short to Ground
P1425 - 35-00 - -

17843 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (n112) : Short to Ground
P1421

17525 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Circuit : B1 S2 : Short to Ground
P1117

16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) : Signal too Low
P0102

17523 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating : B1 S1 : Short to Ground
P1115

17606 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit : B1 S1 : Electrical Malfunction
p1198

Readiness: 0010 1101

ABS Brakes;

01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory

Does anyone have any ideas, now that it seems that the MAF isn't to blame? I've researched the codes and apparently the fuel relay valve could be to blame.

Lister's Stratford-Upon-Avon charge ?90 an hour for labour, so I really don't want to take it in to them if at al possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts