Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes, got a new 02 plate gt tdo 150 metallic black, want the wettest look shine i can get... so

i got turtle wax shampoo - soft mitt to apply, rinse then dry

next a sonus clay bar with detailing spray - this right? - i clay on then wipe off using chamois or equivalent?

then once all done rinse car dry again (can i skip this bit)

now im stuck, where do i go from here, i want a really deep wet wet shine but i want it to last a fair bit of time too

im assuming i need polish then a wax or even more i dont know? what does anyone reccomend? even a quick .. how they do theirs?

thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
first you can wash with a heavy ratio of washing up liquid seeing as your wax after. no need to dry after just make sure its totally clean and well rinsed after cos you dont want to clay if you got any grit still on the car.

to lub the clay again you can use fairy liquid instead of the detailing spray and use that elsewhere. Just make sure you got lots of lubrication between clay and bodywork and make sure you read the instructions and understand what your doing. After doing the entire body wash again, this time you can use your turtle wax. Dry after using chamois if you havent got a microfibre drying towel or similar.

After clay you can apply a glaze, sealant then a wax if you want to go to all that trouble. Problem with achieving the ultimate wet look is that its not very durable. Have a look around on other thread, the different waxes have been covered many times before.

·
Registered
548 Posts
shitolah!  thats impressive thats a deep shine def the mayor of swirl free city, I bet the boy next door with the focus is peeved seeing his black motor next to yours. 

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
first you can wash with a heavy ratio of washing up liquid seeing as your wax after.
I read the other day, possibly on detailing world that washing up liquid has salt in it, maybe it doesnt apply to all brands but the clay will remove any protection left on the car?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Jace, thats incredible, please without redirecting me to other threads just tell what you used to get that shine in the above pic. I want my car to look like that.
Jace, your car's the non-metallic flat black isn't it mate?

Dan, please don't think I'm getting at you (going back to your colour poll) but that sort of finish is what you might achieve with an Ink Blue mk4 being a dark non-metallic shade which is why I suggested adding it to the poll.

Now that would be cool - 'Jace vs the Ink Blue mk4' [:D] would love to see the outcome

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Sorry Pat but your sorely mistaken mate. Jaces is clearly metallic black, you would never, ever, not in a million zillion years get a finish like that on an non-metallic ink blue. I've seen that colour in the flesh, it has no gloss. And Isnt that the whole point of metallic paint, its much glossier and shinier??

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Jace, thats incredible, please without redirecting me to other threads just tell what you used to get that shine in the above pic. I want my car to look like that.
Pinnacle Souveran, essentially spit n shined with Harly over the top. You could have read that on Jace's thread !

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Sorry Pat but your sorely mistaken mate. Jaces is clearly metallic black, you would never, ever, not in a million zillion years get a finish like that on an non-metallic ink blue. I've seen that colour in the flesh, it has no gloss. And Isnt that the whole point of metallic paint, its much glossier and shinier??
Well, it appears that it is YOU who is sorely mistaken, danw19. Jace's car is flat black.

[H]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Well, it appears that it is YOU who is sorely mistaken, danw19. Jace's car is flat black.

[H]
Oh i'm sorry.[8o|] i didnt know his car was flat black, besides you cant tell the difference.

Why is it you cant say anything on this forum without people attacking you or knit picking tiny flaws in what you say. p1sses me off.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

[H]
Oh i'm sorry.[8o|] i didnt know his car was flat black, besides you cant tell the difference.

Why is it you cant say anything on this forum without people attacking you or knit picking tiny flaws in what you say. p1sses me off.
Alright, keep the peace, he was only jesting!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
first you can wash with a heavy ratio of washing up liquid seeing as your wax after.
I wouldn't use fairy liquid to wash often, as it has salt in it to aid rinsing.

to lub the clay again you can use fairy liquid instead of the detailing spray and use that elsewhere.
I'd use a milder shampoo solution than that, imo. Say zymol shampoo or any good quality car shampoo.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

[H]

Jaces is clearly metallic black, you would never, ever, not in a million zillion years get a finish like that on an non-metallic ink blue.
Cos you said "Jaces is clearly metallic black".. but it's not ! If iut's clearly metallic black, then you obv. can tell the difference ! [^o)]

And cos you were trying to say pat was wrong, but it was you who was wrong.. you were nit picking him !

Either way, you could achieve that with flat ink blue paintwork. It'd just need some time taken. That colour does show up the swirls easily though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
nice finish on that golf there!!

key to a good finish is
good paint prep... so a god strong wash, clay and then if it needs
it... hand or even machine polish.

Once
its perfect then most waxes will give a great look. If you want it
really really wet try usng a glaze before the wax.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
My non metallic Ink Blue:

Posted Image

Or does that not count?!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
No it doesnt count as it is metallic! Lol that is exactly the same as my colour and i know for SURE that is metallic.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
That was pearl. If thats metallic I will eat my own erm...well, dunno.

But, don't think pearlescent is metallic. I stand to be corrected or backed up!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Thats defo metallic, i think pearl can be metallic AFAIK. Have you got any more pictures, any of it in the sun and i'll prove it to you with a picture of mine as well. Lol this is so petty!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts