Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks I have standard headlight on my MkV GT TDi but want brighter headlights.

What do I need to do to get a brighter / whiter light. Bulbs only if so what do I need, what other options do I have?

Thanks

Fudge

·
Registered
246 Posts
get some 50% brighter ... work super

Silverstar 50% osram work a well

cant remember the place i got them from but search for them

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Fudge, I can recommend Osram Silverstars too. You can get them from Powerbulbs . You need H7's for both dipped and main beams and, if you order them from Powerbulbs, you will get a free pair of Philips blue sidelight bulbs that shine white - much better than the standard yellow. Cost you less than £50, all up, for significantly better lights. Not too bad a job to fit them, either. [:D]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Or you have the options to buy an aftermarket Xenon kit, or if you got plently of cash in your pockets, OEM Xenon kit :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi,

Think I'l go for silverstars too.

getting 2 packs of H7 for high and low beam. a 501 for sides but I cant find any xenons for the fog lamps (oem VW) think its a H11 fit? anyone know anywhere to get xenons for these? i think they will be out of place if theyre yellow and everything else is white.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
890 Posts
Or you have the options to buy an aftermarket Xenon kit, or if you got plently of cash in your pockets, OEM Xenon kit :p
Wondered about these kits before - are aftermarket ones legal? as the odd few that i've seen have said for off the road use only, and don't you have to have the headlight washers and auto-adjusting also?

Whilst you mentioned it, does anyone know how much a OEM kit costs, either new/secondhand?

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
890 Posts
God! I weren't expecting 'em to be that dear, having said that i know they're over 700 quid to specify on a mkV. Suppose they are going to be pretty rare secondhand, just have to keep a look out for something high spec or a R32 thats gone off the road backwards! LOL

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just remember that those kits won't fit in a MkV Golf, due to the bulb holders used in it.

I researched this for my June 04 plate, and even went as far as adapting bulb holders to take these kits, but it was a fiddle/faff and I was worried about having to hack into the CAN BUS wiring to the lights to power the kit.

The fact that nobody has come out with an aftermarket kit yet for the Mk5, despite what their adverts might say, says to me that it's more difficult than we all think! [:)]

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi,

Think I'l go for silverstars too.

getting 2 packs of H7 for high and low beam. a 501 for sides but I cant find any xenons for the fog lamps (oem VW) think its a H11 fit? anyone know anywhere to get xenons for these? i think they will be out of place if theyre yellow and everything else is white.

Thanks,

Andy
HB4 fitting for the front fogs. Got all my replacement bulbs from this chap: clicky very quick service and nice white light. A nice cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cheers for that. Just ordered the bulbs off him a few days ago. only place i could find them for sale. good to know someone else has them and is happy. i should get them next week and i'l throw up some comparison shots for anyone thinkin of upgrading also.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I assume you do not wear corrective lenses or had an eye test recently?

When I had my Corrado I used to assume the lighting was not adequate, after taking advantage of a free eye test via my employer, I was informed I could do with some specs, since that time, I am much less fatigued when driving, oncoming headlights do not look like cotton balls and more so on country lanes and unlit roads I do not need to use the main beam.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone make this easy for me please, all these numbers and what not...

For sidelights I need H??

For mainbeam I need H??

For dipped beam I need H??

For foglights I need ??

Oh and it looks like it'll be these Osram Silverstars I'll be going for seeing as they are so highly recomended.

Thanking you

·
Registered
246 Posts
what about some new philips 80% brighter

new just come out and was rated very bright in autoexpress

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?home.asp

32.99 H7

Thanks to new technology developed by Philips, drivers can see and be seen like never before! X-treme Power headlamps project up to 80 per cent more light on the road ahead (depending on the type of head lighting unit used in the car).

The light is powerful and intense, and the extra quality and quantity of light provided by X-treme Power lamps make them ideal for drivers who want their cars to stand out in a crowd, while ensuring driver and passenger safety is of the highest priority.

X-treme Power is fully homologated for use in all European countries without restriction as replacement for conventional lamps. It is compatible with most head lighting units, including today's modern complex-shape headlights

• Philips X-treme Power delivers up to an astounding 80% more light than standard halogens,
  • DOT legal and come with the same quality and performance we put into the lighting we sell to OEMs around the world.
  • X-treme Power is a new ?must-have? for motoring enthusiasts and high performance drivers.
  • Interchangeable with existing H4 and H7
  • Legal for road use and safe to use with plastic lenses

Here?s what Auto Express had to say about Xtreme Power:

This is so new, we could not randomly s elect test samples, so can?t include it in our assessment. Yet performance of our pre production unit was staggering. Even compared with the current benchmark Plus per cent bulbs, the difference was immediate and dramatic. Philips claim an 80 per cent improvement over standard units, but we think that this is conservative.

The results have been achieved in the same way as the 30 and 50 per cent lamps-by taking the allowed tolerances right to the edge. This time though as well as reducing the filament and burning it hotter, Philips has shrunk the glass casing.

As a result, the gas pressure can be increased for better light output.Engineers have also optimised the geometry and shield position to focus the light where it is needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts