Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my remapped AGU out for a good thrash today and it just doesn't make me smile like it used to. [:(] I've thought about it and am seriously considering a bigger turbo. The thing is, a K03s apparently wont break the 210-220bhp barrier and considering it will cost me around ?1000 for parts and labour charges i just can't justify spending this amount on only another 20-30bhp.

I've looked into the K04 upgrade but a lot of views on here say there's not a great difference between this and the K03s, yet I've heard elsewhere this turbo with the Audi TT injectors will be good for nearly 300bhp!

So who's upgraded the turbo on their AGU, what gains have you had and all in all, was it worth it? I'd love to hit the 260-280bhp mark, but what is capable of this and what's the damage?

Thanks guys...[Y]

·
Registered
811 Posts
You will be able to get close to 280-290 with the KO4, but thats the TT, Cupra R variant.. the KO4-23. The bolt on KO4-001 that many refer to on here will be no better than the KO3s.

However to fit the 023 variant you will need to source the manifold, downpipe, injectors etc... so unless you get a good price its not worth it. The AGU will not flow over 230's on the stock injectors anyway, so if your goals are set at the 280's its going to be an IHI tbh..

I fitted the ko3s to my old AGU and there is a significant difference tbh, especially up top..

It gets pretty expensive to go beyond that because a lot of hardware needs changing to cope with the extra power you want... check your wallet and decide whether its 230-240 you want or 280+

·
Registered
626 Posts
Another thing to consider if you are gonna go down the big turbo route is that the AGU has no traction control and when you are looking at over 300hp u are gonna need it imo, also brakes and suspension are gonna need beefing up if ya wanna stay alive.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will be able to get close to 280-290 with the KO4, but thats the TT, Cupra R variant.. the KO4-23. The bolt on KO4-001 that many refer to on here will be no better than the KO3s.

However to fit the 023 variant you will need to source the manifold, downpipe, injectors etc... so unless you get a good price its not worth it. The AGU will not flow over 230's on the stock injectors anyway, so if your goals are set at the 280's its going to be an IHI tbh..

I fitted the ko3s to my old AGU and there is a significant difference tbh, especially up top..

It gets pretty expensive to go beyond that because a lot of hardware needs changing to cope with the extra power you want... check your wallet and decide whether its 230-240 you want or 280+
Tim, with the K03s will anything else need changing? I've read that the TIP will need uprating. Is it possible to put larger injectors on for more than 230's, or will this be around the maximum power I would get? One more thing, how much did it cost you in total from parts to labour and of course the remap when you upgraded to the K03s?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
There are a few K03s cars out there with 240 to 250 hp IIRC, RS Golf made over 250, Gary M's made in the 240's. A 4 bar presure regulator helps the injectors, you'll need a custom map, turbo back sports exhaust and sport cats, and maybe a FMIC and some hose and induction goodies. Can get pricey, but I agree with timsims, a simple swap over is relatively cheap and you'll get a noticable increase at the top end of the rev range for relatively small change. New turbo to boot helps reliability.

K04-001 is pointless over k03 sport IMO

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a few K03s cars out there with 240 to 250 hp IIRC, RS Golf made over 250, Gary M's made in the 240's. A 4 bar presure regulator helps the injectors, you'll need a custom map, turbo back sports exhaust and sport cats, and maybe a FMIC and some hose and induction goodies. Can get pricey, but I agree with timsims, a simple swap over is relatively cheap and you'll get a noticable increase at the top end of the rev range for relatively small change. New turbo to boot helps reliability.

K04-001 is pointless over k03 sport IMO
Simch, I've already got a 2.5'' downpipe and decat, would I still need a full cat back system?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You don't NEED anything I suppose, but the cat back will help. I found mine with a stock remap on a K03 blew the stuffin out of my original back box.....!! (Not the replacement one I have for sale in the classifieds atm I might add!!) !!

Blueflame do a nice system, cheap on the bay at the mo too. A few rrun them on here and I think they are pretty good.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I guess you're looking at around:

?250 for the turbo

?150-300 for fitting depending on where you go ( I conned my VW dealership, but I have a good reputation with them)

?50-100 for a TIP... 1ts or 2nd hand.....I had the Samco TIP already

?250 should see you remapped by Jayson at ChippedUK ... and thats great value. Results wise it gonna be the same as others, but half the price

?30 for gthe gaskets and things that you need...

Optional stuff

?300-800 for a FMIC... I Fabrcated my own custom set up and it worked wonders, no heat soak and half the price of the kits out there. Its up to you though...

?250 for the cat back, it wont make a huge difference but it looks nicer, adds a bit more to the noise/aggressive tone

Anything else is the sort of stuff where its big moeny for not a lot back... Id be interested to see the resuls of the equal length KO3 Mani that JBS are doing but at the price I wouldnt be rushing out to buy it... maybe you can get a deal???

Injectors.... hmmmm If your stopping at the 230-240 bracket you should be ok.... otherwise secod hand TT ones are a good option... but only really worth it it you add EVERYTHING and turn up to maximum....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My old AGU had around 239 bhp with ko3s and spec as listed by Tim, though acceleration was still slower than the Jabba'd Anni

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My old AGU had around 239 bhp with ko3s and spec as listed by Tim, though acceleration was still slower than the Jabba'd Anni
Did you have everything that Tim listed? I.e cat back, fmic etc?

·
Registered
811 Posts
My Old AGU got 239 ish i cant remember exaclty maybe low 240's running REVO and a MBC with ALL the bolt ons... FMIC, FULL exhaust, Modified Dynatwist, KO3s... that was holding nearly 14 psi beyond 6k... However due to the MBC it was very On/Off throttle....

Turned down it was high 220's low 230's and drivable... lost a bit of mid range punc as it spiked at 1.1bar but held it most of the way....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So let's say I got the K03s fitted with a bigger TIP, then had it remapped by ChippedUk and left the rest as it is (2.5'' d/pipe + decat, K&N panel filter, Forge Diverter valve) what kind of power do you guys estimate I'd be running?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much slower was your AGU than the Anni though mate? Quite noticeable or hardly at all?

·
Registered
811 Posts
But dont forget though that you will be making peak power higher up the rev range... its not just a case of swapping the numbers...

your KO3 will run out of puff at 5900 rpms... so peak at 5600-5700 say 200 bhp (to make it easy).... by 6300 rpms the car it shot...

on the sport your peak is much later but your still making more power than before so you are gaining an extra few seconds of "pull" and 20-30 horses... its not a simple as number crunching... I was very surprised at the difference.

It was the difference between loosing out to a CTR top end....... then being able to pull a good few car lenghts on one. I destroyed a Z3 soprt days before seeling it.. so much so that the driver kpet coming back for more and more.by top of 3rd he was gone. I eventually pulled over and he got out to ask WTF i had under there...

With all the bolt ons you will be happy....

Another point to make... you say your lowered... get the set up on coils and good brakes then you are sorted for a faster car as well. faster into corners and faster out of them!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You just hit the nail on the head, my mate has recently bought a CTR and I'd love to be able to have the edge over him!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts