Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealers!!!

They had the R32 for a whole 2 weeks 3 days now. They have figured out that the speed sensor is at fault hence why the speedo don't work, which in turn makes everything else go a little mental.

They keep saying they are trying to get the part. But, how hard is it to get a speed sensor!? Can anyone tell me? Don't even have a courtesy car as they 'don't have one avaliable'. They have another R32 on the forecourt, but wouldnt let me have that! Surprise surprise!

Have I beat the record for the dealer having the car the longest? I'm sure they are taking it round and round a track, or maybe the roads while the speedo aint working so it aint clocking up any miles [:'(]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. The miles don't increase, so I would need to sign a declaration etc as it would be against the law

2. There is no speedo, so would be tickets are us for me as I'm partial to a speeding fine anyway

3. It's like driving a women on PMT on a bad hair day, i.e. alll over the place.

When the speedo don't work, the car don't think it's moving. Therefore you have airflow problems, emision problems, fueling problems etc. VERY hard to drive!

Throw into the mix a 3.2 litre V6 engine and it's no fun!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well thats that then , i had no idea they affected it in that way.... i.e all over the place. I guess the balls in their park on this one, they can take as long as they want!

Bear with it, i doubt any garage would go out and rag your car for the hell of it. Maybe on road test afterwards :p

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Argh! Graham! I know yours is mk4, but you'll set Damian off now. For the first six months, VW had his car longer than he did - so I doubt you've won any awards [;)]

C

PS - and 2 in your list above is also illegal, because of the reasons you cited [:)]

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Dealers!!!

Have I beat the record for the dealer having the car the longest? I'm sure they are taking it round and round a track, or maybe the roads while the speedo aint working so it aint clocking up any miles [:'(]
5 weeks they had my Polo once in one time! That was because they damaged it and didnt wanna tell me, oh and set off the airbag so had to replace the wheel. Went to America for 2 weeks and left the courtesy car in the garage (locked up so they couldnt collect it!!).

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
At least you have a Stealer to take it to. Seat have no stealers between Inverness and Edinburgh. Hate them for that....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If it is the part I think it is, then it is showing "Stock in Transit" with VW

This means they are awaiting arrival of shipment from Germany. Normally when it says this parts arrive within a few days.

Hope this is of some help......

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Also there are 3 other dealers showing this part in stock.....

Motorworld, Oxford

Breeze, Southampton

Smith Knight Fay, Stockport

They could have at least tried to source one from one of these dealers for you, since your car is VOR

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh 20valve, saviour of all things dealers!

Can you track that much? You know that the car is currently in Exeter then? Can you tell me anything else as I can't seem to get very far with the lot down here.

Reg is: MH04 RNE

Have they taken it for a spin and crashed it or something?!

They stated they don't hold stock, but it would be in by wednesday (yesterday). What does VOR mean?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It doesnt tell me where your car is...................I just looked for an R32 speed sensor on etka then checked VW stock.

VOR means "Vehicle Off Road". When this happens & VW dont have the part in stock then your dealer should be trying to source one from another dealer in the country then do whats called an "Inter-Dealer Transfer". There is a form to fill out & fax to TNT & provided its faxed before 3.30pm then TNT will colect the parts that day & your dealer should have it 24 hours later.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
1. The miles don't increase, so I would need to sign a declaration etc as it would be against the law

WHO SAYS?

2. There is no speedo, so would be tickets are us for me as I'm partial to a speeding fine anyway

WORK IT OUT FROM YOUR RPM, Only need to know 30 at 4th gear and 70 at 6th

3. It's like driving a women on PMT on a bad hair day, i.e. alll over the place.

When the speedo don't work, the car don't think it's moving. Therefore you have airflow problems, emision problems, fueling problems etc. VERY hard to drive!

Throw into the mix a 3.2 litre V6 engine and it's no fun!
Just to add I doubt the speed sensor is knackered more than likely its lossde connection, and VW dont want to do a dtrip down without haveing the part just in case, probably just working of a fault code

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it's more common knowledge that driving around on a car which is not increasing in mileage would be against the law? Am I wrong? I had put ROUGHLY 150 miles on it, which VW asked me about and I declared, so they may well change it to correspond to the lost mileage when it wasn't working.

I can work out 70mph from the rev counter, but not any other speed. I do have the RA2 in there though, so was using GPS to determine speed, so that wasn't a complete loss, but still. The very worst part was air flow etc not working as it should. Changing gear was a nightmare unless you kept it around 2k revs when changing. I would honeslty prefer not to drive it!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just to add I doubt the speed sensor is knackered more than likely its lossde connection, and VW dont want to do a dtrip down without haveing the part just in case, probably just working of a fault code
Possibly a loose connection, but unlikley.

Any decent dealer should have the part in stock before they start stripping the car down, casue if they dont then they end up having a car stranded in their w/shop for a few days. At least waiting for the part before they start the job means it can all be done in a oner, rather than doing half a job & waiting for parts.

Thats the way I run my w/shop...........

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picking the car up today. It's been sat there done for a week!

Basically it was the warranty claim that was holding everything up. He has come back to me saying 'it's all under warranty, you haven't been charged you can pick it up today mate'.

Saved myself ?200 but why does it take a week to find out if it's under warranty or not?!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If my car was off the road for 2 weeks and the dealer could not give me a courtesy car, I would be demanding that that hire in a car - like they did during the coil pack saga.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Have I beat the record for the dealer having the car the longest?
No. Mine was about 7 seven weeks! Needed to get someone from HO not once but twice (apparently) to rectify the fault. Wasn't too bad as they gave me a hire car so I was putting miles on their car, not mine.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well got it back. Tell you what, you certainly are treated better when you take something of higher value into these places. Cup of tea/coffee sir? NEVER have I had that! And, they supplied me with another R32 keyring.

Also, she actually showed me to my car, which was different and there was Jeeve's cleaning my wheels for me!

It's had a full valet, inside and out, wheels are pristine, tyre gel, the lot.

Quite impressed by that. Until I realised where my car actually was! Was next to a MKV R32 and a brand new MKV GTI. These were right outisde the doors, then you had the walkway and then on the other side of the doors, 2 toureg's.

Hmm, now I know why mine was so pristine. Wasn't in the service bays, was being used to show the cars off!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts