Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car stinks of petrol!!

I got in this morning and i could smell petrol, it got worse and worse so phoned my dealer... they said ring vw assist and they came out

The vw guy couldnt find any leaks etc and couldnt smell anything

Just took it out again and the smell has come back [:(]

Anyone think it could be an intermittanty fault... or would a petrol leak be constant

Booked into the dealers monday morning to get them to check it over

Also get to take the GTI out for an hour while i wait for their diagnosis

Chris

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hi Chris,

You are doing the right thing checking it out.

Have you though recently filled the car with petrol? I've had this in all my cars once in a while but if somebody has just poured fuel on the ground, you step in it and then stomp it into your rug you'll smell it for a couple of days. As for it coming and going that could be that you've left the car for a while or helped it evaporate by having warm air blowing down to your feet.

If you are not asleep after reading that, try taking out your foot mat and giving it a good sniff [;)]

Let us know how it goes - don't smoke anywhere near it in the meantime [:O]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Filled up on thursday night, drove it friday with no probs... just this morning.

to be honest its not maily smelling when i open the door, it smells like its coming up from under the sill of the door

Not going to drive it unless i have to until monday

Chris

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had a funny leak on my old saxo once where it was the filter leaking petrol, caused but something flying up and hitting it. Now I don't know where the golf's is but just a thought if you say it is coming from under the sill. Is it down the drivers side only you smell?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I've been to hell and back over the last 4 weeks for the very same thing.

I had exactly the same symptoms. Car reeking of petrol but nothing showing up on the ground. It got so bad one night that I

had to park it up outside as you could smell it in the house coming from the garage.

Anyway after replacing the injector seals 3 times but with no success they eventually replaced all the injectors which did the trick[H]

The dealer had clocked up a total of 32 hrs of workshop time on my car in diagnosing and repairing the fault[:O]

Best of luck with your dealer and I hope your car isn't off the road for as long as mine was [:)]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate, just got back

They cant find anything [:(]

They apparently checked injectors, fuel tank, pipes etc etc

Hasnt smelt though... Got one wiff of fuel on the way up and that was it.
Drove down the a roads to come home, giving it some beans to see if i could induce the fuel smell with no luck... lets see what happens [:(]

Chris

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More info

Its still doing it... but only when cold and when pulling away after been sat in traffic etc

Going to shampoo the carpets see if that gets rid

Already taken the mats out and washed them

I hope its not a car problem...i cant cope playing tennis with vw

"we cant find a problem"
"Its still there"
"we cant find a problem"

Etc [:(]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More updates

Just had vw assist out again and he could smell the fuel

Took the engine cover off and the air filter wasnt fully sealed... the "technicians" at vw had messed it up when trying to find a rattle a few months ago (which turned out to be the engine cover not the filter like they said)

So the vw assist guy tried sealing the unit fully but couldnt as its nackered, So its better sealed than it was but not perfect

He thinks that could be the cause of the smell

So i phoned my dealer up demanding a curtosy car so its going in 2moro instead of waiting untill the 30th

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the car went in today and they found the problem

The fuel lines were leaking petrol onto the exhaust manifold....

I cant imagine that been very safe

It was only my giving the dealer hell to get the car booked in today!!

However the parts are on back order (replacement fuel lines)

So it could be 10-15 days untill i get mine back

Got to live with a Base spec 1.9TDI "S" model [:(] lol

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ah quit complaining and think of the money youll save on fuel [:p]

Cant have checked your car over too well the first time it was in, if its something as simple as that, you'd think they'd check the filter and all the fuel lines.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm sure you are glad they found the issue, as what was happening certainly doesn't sound safe at all

JD

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah quit complaining and think of the money youll save on fuel [:p]
And i will miss all the torque when i go back to my 1.6

They told me first time they checked all the pipes etc... so why they didnt find it originally is beyond me

I am just not too happy and driving round with petrol leaking onto the exhaust manifold [:(]

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Its damn dangerous, Rediculous they didnt find it when you first smelt it? if its only a small amount it would probably be harmless.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad they've sorted it.

If it's any reassurance, it's very unlikely the petrol would have ignited from the heat of the manifold. The flashpoint of petrol is really quite high, and you need a spark or naked flame really. Brake fluid on the other hand, that's lethal! That can ignite on a hot manifold. It's the cause of a lot of fires post front end accident.

Still, not nice or safe to have petrol leaking everywhere, but thought you might be interested in the above!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts