Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I`m turning into a miserable cow!

It`s been a week since I`m cigarette-free, and I`m gradually becoming an antisocial git - I am afraid of going out in smoky pubs and see my friends smoke constantly...I`m also becoming quite moody lol

Also, I haven`t stopped coughing some dodgy green things out, is this normal?

Any tips on how to best deal with the cravings and general change are most welcome!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
[Y]Well done.

Probably not the best person to be giving advice/tips as I started again after about 4 months,

But,

Try and stick with it. I know it's hard, but it's got to be better for you in the long run.

Have you thought about hypnosis??? You have to want to give up but it does help.

As for the coughing etc, yes this is normal.

Dealing with cravings is a tough one, as were all different, I tried sugar free lollies (chubba chops) and vegetable sticks. Maybe dried fruit would work.

Don't fall for the "it's only one" line as thats how I started again, stupid I know.

However much a week you would normally spend on ****, put in a moneybox, thats another good incentive when you find ???? in there at the end of the month. Which you can then spend rewarding yourself[:D]

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK[Y]

Carl

·
Registered
120 Posts
No advice I'm afraid, just want to say well done! [Y]

Deciding to stop is the hardest step IMHO, and one that I am yet to overcome.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I am just approaching 5 months of being stopped and I feel fantastic about it, I think the thing is you have to realise you are not missing out on anything.

You have made a possitive step to improving your life so be happy about it.

I tried a million times to stop smoking, I used patches, gum, inhalers blah, blah, blah and I failed every time. This time I stopped without the use of any nicotene replacement. I feel better every day, my breathing is so much better, my recovery times when I'm excercising have shown a huge improvement.

You will stop only when you really deep down want to stop.

I sometimes use this website just to remind myself.

http://www.quitmeter.com/index.php

Posted Image

See how much money you can save in a very short time.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
PS. I hope that has helped rather than hindered. I do smell it and think ah one won't hurt but it will so I don't and it makes me smile to know that I can refuse.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Wanna ***???

Not really.I gave up six weeks and one day ago.I do have a niquret gum a couple of times a day though , just to get past the urge.

I was tearing peoples heads of at work for the first couple of weeks though my boss thought that got them to work harder.

I went to the pub to watch an England game and resisted the urge but got really piffed.

Like said above,you have to want to give up.

KEEP IT UP.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well done, i have been 8 Months now, did one of those stop smoking clinics, was the funnist.. ended up going cold turkey and brough myself the golf with the money i saved.

When ever i needed one i also said to myself, wait 2 minutes and then see if i still want one and the craving would go without me even noticing, sometimes when i really needed one i would drink ice cold water which took the craving away. First night out which was 2 weeks after giving up was a killer.

If you get your mates to support you as well that really helps.

Best of luck anyway and give us a weekly update on your progress.

·
Registered
155 Posts
well, advice i can't really give you cause i never managed myself!!! however, after reading this i am thinking of actually stopping myself!! :) If i manage i will get all the money i used to spend on smoking, double it and spend it on my mkIV :)

Keep it up mate!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I sometimes use this website just to remind myself.

http://www.quitmeter.com/index.php

Posted Image

See how much money you can save in a very short time.
I gave up new years eve 2004 and even though EVERY single on of my mates smokes, i still havent gone back.

Just tapped my details into that sight and ive NOT smoked 19,160 ciggies in that time, just the thought of all them smokes is enough to make me feel [+o(]

Keep it up, you'll appreciate food more, be able to walk up the stairs without wheexing and you'll smell 100 times better [:D]

·
Registered
228 Posts
I smoked for 19 years, but I gave up 15 months ago.

Both my partner and I gave up at the same time using patches.

She was preganant and it gave us the added incentive.

I never ever thought I would give up.

Between us, not smoking 20 day each is a saving of ?300, which we probably now spend on our son, but you could spend the extra cash on your car etc etc.

I don't don't cough and wheeze every morning anymore, as has been said I can now run up stairs without getting out of breath.

Having said that I seem to have a cold and runny nose since I gave up!!!

I do miss it, it would be wrong to say otherwise, I know someone who gave up 18 years ago, and he still misses it. I loved smoking. I looked forward to the after dinner smokes, smoking and a cold beer were amazing, but I will never go back.

It amazing how much you smell and don't realise it. Every time I go out, when I get home my clothes go straight into the washing basket as they stink.

Stick with it, I got very ratty and to some extent I still do - it will be worth it in the long run - but well done so far...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having said that I seem to have a cold and runny nose since I gave up!!!
Aww, thank you all for your encouraging words of wisdom!!! [Y]

It's conforting to see that I'm not the only one who found it so hard and depressing lol

I'm slightly concerned about the above though: do you still have a cold after 5 month khutula??? I've been pretty ill since I quit smoking, so if I will be like this for the next 5 months then I'd rather start smoking again!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm slightly concerned about the above though: do you still have a cold after 5 month khutula??? I've been pretty ill since I quit smoking, so if I will be like this for the next 5 months then I'd rather start smoking again!!!
I think mine lasted about 2-3weeks maybe a little longer, it wasnt too bad though, I just saw it as my body expelling all the nastys from years of smoking, I think the longer you smoked the longer this period lasts though. When my dad gave up after 40 years of smoking he had a really bad cold for about 6 weeks and he was proper grouchy [:D]

Stick with it though, it's worth it in the long run [Y]

·
Registered
558 Posts
I smoked for 11 years and gave up just over a year ago. I had never tried to give up before as I really enjoyed smoking...which sounds stupid to those that don't smoke. But, the start of pre season training last year we warmed up with a 2 mile run. At the end of the 2 miles those that didn't smoke were joking and pissing about whereas the smokers where all gasping for breath. I decided there and then that I was only making it harder on myself and gave my last few **** away. I've never smoked another one.

I really do believe that you can only give up when you 100% want to. I didn't do any patches, gum or hypnosis...it was just my time.

A year on I am now the world's worst ex smoker. My mates still smoke and I give them so much grief. The smell is so strong and offensive that I hate to be around it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
15 months not 5!!!

Seems to be slowing down now, but its just my body expelling all the crap I've pumped it full of for almost twenty years.

Believe me its worth it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I really do believe that you can only give up when you 100% want to. I didn't do any patches, gum or hypnosis...it was just my time.

A year on I am now the world's worst ex smoker. My mates still smoke and I give them so much grief. The smell is so strong and offensive that I hate to be around it.
Thats exactlly the same as me, I gave up through will power alone. I agree that you have to REALLY want to stop or you wont do it. I actually found it surprisingly easy to quit, i smoked about 20 a day for 8 years but decided I wanted to stop and for 3 months told me self come the new year I would be a non smoker and 18 months on i havent touched one.

I too am now a constant pain to my friends that smoke, but you dont realise how bad you smell.

A few months after quitting I picked a mate up from work and he is a heavy smoker about 30 a day, and when he got in my car I had to roll the windows down because the smell was so overpowering it made me feel sick and dizzy, but when I mentioned it to him he said that he hates heavy smokers who stink but didnt think he was that bad [:D].

If you start to struggle get a good friend or partner to reward you, say buy you a CD aafter the first week then something bigger after the 1st month, bigger after the 2nd month and so on untill you feel so guilty about all the nice stuff they have done to you that you wont want to smoke [:D]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cant really give much advice, iv tried to give up smoking so many times but never got anywhere, its those nights out that always get me, most of my mates smoke so the temptation of a cold beer and a smoke gets too much! Is it really possible to go cold turkey? iv never used any patches etc but after stopping for 2 months cold turkey, but then starting again, im starting to think nicotine replacement by way of patches or gum is the way to go?

Good luck with the quitting, keep it up, as with many things in life, its pointless realising how important our health is when its too late to do anything about it!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cant really give much advice, iv tried to give up smoking so many times but never got anywhere, its those nights out that always get me, most of my mates smoke so the temptation of a cold beer and a smoke gets too much! Is it really possible to go cold turkey? iv never used any patches etc but after stopping for 2 months cold turkey, but then starting again, im starting to think nicotine replacement by way of patches or gum is the way to go?

Good luck with the quitting, keep it up, as with many things in life, its pointless realising how important our health is when its too late to do anything about it!
After 2 months your body should be well passed any physical cravings for nicotine. Try reading this book before you try to quit next time.
Don't know if its true or even if it would help but it makes for an interesting read, with some interesting hard hitting quotes in bold like "If you smoke, you will die....FACT".

One of my friends is reading it at the moment and I had a look through it, I think it's trying to help you break down the patterns your brain associates with smoking like beer and coffee and eating etc...

Still it only cost a pack of **** so worth a go [:D]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Well done mate and keep it up. You will reap the benefits

Ive smoked on and off for about 7 years. I seem to be able to give up when I want with no real trouble ie getting that ratty. Must be a lucky one. Thing is tho I dont really want to give up that badly and enjoy smoking. Noone likes a quitter!

I dont however enjoy smelling of ****. I always wash my hands after a smoke at work. Must be a self conscious thing? I dont smoke in the bedroom like some people may as I think its disgusting. I dont smoke in the car as it mings the car out. I always change my clothes when I have been out in the pub and get home, and at least wash my hands and face, if not have a shower.

But from a point of view of someone who has given up, I also know where you are coming from. I hate the smell it leaves on my clothes when I get home from a night out. I can see why people get pissed of with people smoking in restaurants when they are trying to enjoy a meal.

I love the smell of someone having a tab out in the open, when you get a waft, but I hate it in confined spaces.

Bet bet is take it slowly. If you really want to give up you will make sacrifices. Don't hang around smokers to much. Stay away from pubs and bars etc for a few weeks. Dont drink, that is always the killer. Stay sober. Keep yourself busy at all times. Find things to do even if they dont need doing.

And the best one, reward yourself. Put a fiver in a pot every day. At the end of the week you have ?35 to blow, on CDs, DVDs, a treat, a meal out, or even some mods for your car. ?140 a week extra disposable income will become a nice thing and justify why you have made the sacrifice. You could even create a new car fund, ?150 a month into a high interest account, and watch it grow!

Even after a few days I noticed you can taste food and drink much better. After a week you cough up all the crap thats been kept in your lungs and start to fell better, less breathless. After a fortnight I noticed that I had much more energy and was generally more positive about life, getting up earlier and easier, wanting to do more and be more active. Thats quite addictive in itself, the new found energy.

I should really give up. Both my parents are smokers, and both have had and survived cancer. Its things like that that justify best why you should give up.

Sorry for the essay, but its a subject on which I have alot to say. And from your point of view I hope what I and everyone else says will be helpful. Best of luck sticking to it!

Anyway, I actually am off outside for a *** (sorry)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts