Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:'(] I can't believe I did it!

The tank was empty and I put about ?20 of petrol in, don't ask why i don't know, the sun must have got to me. Drove about 1/2 a mile before she died and I had the vision of a green nozzle flash through my mind, I phoned my uncle who came and towed me too his, and Ray (aRd) and my local dealers gave me some helpful advice about what to do.

So, Took the fuel pump out drained all the petrol, disconnected and drained the fuel lines underneath, drained the fuel filter and rinsed it through with diesel (couldn't get hold of a new one today), filled her up, with the correct fuel this time, primed the pump a few times to flush any leftover petrol back into the tank to dilute with the diesel and fired her up.

Everything seemed ok until I pulled into my mates road and I heard a small 'pop', didn't think too much of it at the time, but after a few drinks the wife drove me home and said the car felt sluggish, I had a drive when we got home and its definetely not as it should be, I turned the ESP off and couldn't even get any wheelspin in 1st gear, when before it would do it in second if pushed hard enough. Theres also a noise, sort of sucking or hissing, not quite sure how to describe it.

What have I knackered and how do I fix it? I did a quick scan with vagcom but there are no faults showing (not that I thought there would be i'm just grasping at straws)

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a RAC advert that says "If you discovered you have put petrol into a diesel car - don't start the engine".....

Sorry but I think if it has got into the engine, you will need to get
it cleaned ... which could be expensive [:(] I hope I am wrong ...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Chris,

It's so easily done too!
I did it with the wife's Peugeuot 106 but fortunately realised before I started it.

Maybe you didn't get one of the hoses connected properly. Probably worthwhile checking everything you've disturbed to make sure nothing is loose.
It may even be unrelated - check that you've not blown off an intercooler hose too.

Hopefully it won't be anything too serious.

Simon

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, cheers for the advice, I'm going to go and have a look in abit, not with fresh eyes though, didn't really sleep too well. I put a post up on TDiClub also and some of the guys on there have also said it sounds like like a hose has popped off, with my luck though it won't be that simple. It does make sense though as if i remember correctly it only makes the noise when trying to accelerate hard.

I do intend to change the filter but by the time i got my head round how stupid i'd been I couldn't get hold of one yesterday.

Also under the car behind the drivers side front wheel, there is what looks like an oil cooler, its a long thin rectangular box with lots of little fins on it, its on the return side of the fuel system lines, anyone know what it does and should I change it?

Once again cheers for the advice, Much appreciated[:)]

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's a fuel cooler. Fuel used in a PD gets a bit hot. The unused fuel sent back down the return needs to be cooled off before it hits the tank.

The fact you ran the car on Petrol " until it died" may have a bearing on the service life of the pump and other components where the very tight engineering tolerances depend on the lubricating quality of diesel to operate without wear. Petrol will not lube those components so rapid wear will result.
The PD is less prone to this than say the Peugeot Common Rail system where the pump has to produce way more pressure but it's worth having a look at the pump just in case.

Hope you're OK, I'm sure the car will be fine. You'll have to start putting little notes around to remind you it's a diesel as per the old VW ads.

Allan

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Allan,

I thought it must have been a cooler just didn't realise the fuel got that hot. I guess what you are saying is don't be surprised if something else in the injection system dies sooner rather than later, Too be honest I had a look at the pump when I had it out yesterday but I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

The Petrol I drained out was a really mucky, oil like colour, not sure why.

I think the reason it happened was because the first pump i looked at had a bag over it which was labelled '4 star replacement unleaded' I read the next one which said 'cleaner .......' I'm used to putting cleaner diesel in and I guess I just read the cleaner bit and stuck the nozzle in, it is the first diesel i've owned but i've had it since sep/oct last year so i should be used to it by now!

[:$]

·
Registered
829 Posts
The biggest PITA is that there is no common policy with fuel suppliers when it comes to ID-ing DERV pumps. Some are Yellow ( Sainsburys "City "diesel) some are Black etc etc.
Mis-fuelling accounts for a very high proportion of breakdown calls.
Maybe you have a case to take to the fuel supplier if there was something obscuring the type identifier?

Allan

·
Registered
453 Posts
BoraChris - If you need any parts don hesitate to contact me at Euro Car Parts in Newcastle. Will do my best to sort you out the best price i can on anything you may require.

If the hose has popped off, and the car is still running poorley, it might be worth butting a few tank full of Derv Ultimate through it see what difference that makes.

My work No is 0191 497 8000.

Keep us updated

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No the label was quite clear I can see it clearly now!

However before I even got to check the intercooler hoses I found this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its the crappy ripspeed ducting I got from Halfrauds, I realised how crap it was when I fitted it, I even bought some better, re-inforced stuff from Arco, Just had not got around to fitting it yet, Guess what i'm doing today!

Once again cheers guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris, I'll be after a Fuel filter, Oil filter and Oil and something else but i've forgot what it is!, might be worth me driving up depending whereabouts you are in Newcastle.

Edit: Just so you guys don't think i'm totally stupid, the ducting wasn't in that state after i'd fitted it, I think it must have just sucked itself to death!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just been through this post and the replies. It's at times like these when this forum comes to its own. Great advice guys.

Slightly off topic...I have just bought an 04 A3 tdi Sport. I have noticed that it is a real pain to get the derv nozzle into the tank filling pipe. Have VAG carried out a mod to prevent wrong fuel being added i.e created a restricted filling pipe?

I have not driven a petrol car in years so apologies for the dumb question.

·
Registered
453 Posts
BoraChris, ECP is in Team Valley, just outside newcastle. A1 North, Next turning just past the Angel, right on roundabout, straight over the next, right at the next roundabout then left at the next one, we are all the way down the bottom on the left. Let me know what oil you need longlife or not.

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
damn hope it all works out for you dude

i was a bit prang switching from petrol to diesel as i thought i may
make this same mistake - you could always get a sticker to put inside
the flip which says "diesel" ....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[:)]
Just been through this post and the replies. It's at times like these when this forum comes to its own. Great advice guys.
Couldn't agree more, cheers guys[Y]

Problem all sorted now, new ducting in and it seems to be back to normal,

However I have found what appears to be an Oil leak coming from the bottom of the intercooler, at least i think its coming from the bottom it could be dripping down from the top, but I can't really see much from inside the engine bay, I had the car running at the time, so once the Oil has settled back into the sump i'll go and check the level, I checked it last week and it was ok so hopefully I won't have lost too much.

Any idea's on this one guys?

And its just the normal PD Oil Chris not Longlife, I now also need the small bracket that holds the front of the battery in place, I dropped mine and I think it fell into the drain, is that a part I can get from you or will it be a stealer only part?

Its been one of those weekends[:(]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts