Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited my mate yesterday who runs a tyre business.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

He filled the S03?s with Nitrogen yesterday. Seems it will maintain a constant pressure and stop the tyres expanding at speed. [:|]

<o:p> </o:p>

I?ve tried to provoke them but haven?t seen any difference yet. Good job they?re not Michelins! [:p]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I hate to burst you bubble James but it will still mean you are a crap driver no matter what you put in your tyres [;)]
Oh that's harsh.. but funny ! [:D]

If you have to top one up with 'normal scumbag air' will it make the car lopsided ? [;)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It just doesn't leak basically. Josh used to do it with his polo, don't
think it made any difference other than he didn't have to pump up his
tyres regularly.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mmm thats not far from me well about a 30 min run ......cheers
Steve is a top bloke and very handy to know for wheels tyres and all that as well. He has a very tidy S3 and a little music studio there so its always groovy to hang around. If you are making the trip Jason let me know and we'll meet up again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work in aviation and we use Nitrogen in all aircraft tyres. As you say, you don't need to pump tyres up all the time like air, it also handles temp change much better, keeping a constant pressure-even if you locked the wheels and created a flat spot, it is far less likely to blow out on you.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I've used this before, it costs ?2 a wheel when I had mine done @ Wheel works in Brum.

Didnt notice anything [:(]

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Thought i'd dig this thread up.

Anyone know where you can get this done in Manchester. The nearest i've found so far is Demon Tweeks but they are 45 mins away.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Surely, this is down to its more consisant regards expansion than air?

That is why F1 use it

I would of thought road tires were designed for the expansion of air not nitrogen?

John

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I realise there is probably some kind of placebo effect but I do believe the car is more stable at very high speed. Also I don't seem to lose pressure ever whereas I did with air.

Now using RE050A's in place of the S03's.[:D]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
i have been running this for the last 5 years lol

I helps with tyre where and the tire will remain at a temp throught the range of driving as it does not expand when it gets hot under load.

I was first used for filling winter tires in Germany

Using this and a nice steady 29000 miles on 1 set of cheep nankan shoes so i can confirm IT IS GOOD STUFF

you can top up with normal air but it is advised to change it every so often and like stated above the tires are not as prone to leaking due to the fact that structure of the gas it larger than air.

SWAT LOL

Andy

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It is just a marketing ploy... We use in aviation, in part due to the higher pressures which are involved in the undercarriage system, ie landings. Nitrogen is inert and more resistant to large heat differentials, which is prob the main reason for use in F1.

Nitrogen is also used in aviation for another reason which is not applicable to road or track bound vehicles. Most wheel hubs on aircraft are made out of magnesium for weight saving. This reacts with moisture to corrode the hubs, the nitrogen we use is of the same spec as hospital stuff, IE it is very pure and has a very very low percentage of moisture in it. It's not used primarily for its inert properties although this is a fantastic side-effect. Both Jets and Helos use it and both have very different tyre operating temps.

/lecture

/smart-arse

1 - 20 of 23 Posts