Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....How do i get this, i wanna be able to use my laptop anywhere.

Is it a special thing i buy???

(i know nothing about computers)

Thanks in advance

x

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You won't be able to use your laptop anywhere. Anywhere in the house yes, and in the garden, but not literally anywhere! For that you need a GPRS service via a mobile phone, but that will be slow.

If you want wireless at home, first of all you need broadband, then you need a wireless router, then all you need to do is hook up the wireless router to your PC and enter your broadband details, and suddenly, you'll be able to sit in the bath and type to me while your naked [:p]

Confirm what you want to do and I'm more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you want wireless at home, first of all you need broadband, then you need a wireless router, then all you need to do is hook up the wireless router to your PC and enter your broadband details, and suddenly, you'll be able to sit in the bath and type to me while your naked [:p]
Trust you to put a pervy slant on it.

Best bet would be to let us know a bit about your current setup.

Does your Laptop already have wireless built in (Centrino technology), how do you connect to the net if broadband or cable do you have a USB modem or is it network type connection.

Paul

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i take it in the bath itll still work, thats phatt!

[:D]

Right ive got a inspiron 6000 with the wireless thing in it....

so what your saying is, i need to keep my pc and broadband and plug a router into it to use the laptop anywhere!

Cant i ditch my old massive pc and just use the laptop??!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You don't need the PC no!

You need, a wireless router, which is a little box which plugs into your telephone line, just as your broadband modem does at the moment. Once that is configured with your laptop (doesnt take much, but if you know nothing at all, get someone to do it for you) you can literally take your laptop anywhere in your house and in the vicinity of your house and use the internet.

A wireless router will cost around ?70 for what you need. The ?70, as you have everything else is all you will need to spend.

I set up one of these the other day: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=178493 easy as, well, doing easy things, the laptop already had wireless built in, was up and running within 10 minutes, literally.

Just remember you won't be able to print, unless you have either a wireless printer, a printer connected to the router, so it would have to be networked or a printer physically attached to the laptop, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Then, yes, if you make yourself a little table type thing to go over your bath, you can sit in there and soak and use the internet as the same time. Set up a webcam and were all happy as pie [:p]

No, that is not mine! I do not have wireless at the moment! Just don't have too hot a bath, otherwise yer laptop, and more importantly, the webcam will get all steamed up [:D]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Just a quick word of warning though :

I would however point out that take it anywhere in the house isn't always true.

Depends on the materials used to construct your walls and the placement of the Wireless router, I have seen situations where the placement of the Wirless router is important due to the internal Walls being of solid brick construction which Wireless doesn't like. The other thing is that the ranges quoted for Wireless are usually in an open room and reduce significantly through Walls and Floors.

Don't let me put you off as Wireless is great I use it at home and as I have high gain aerials on my router I can sit in the car on my drive and access the VAG-COM website when I scanning the car. Work on the deck at the back of the house in the Summer etc. You just need to be aware that you can have signal strenth issues with Wireless.

Oh and on the printer front there are pleanty on the market these days that have network ports included, I have a HP Photosmart 8400 printer on my network so as long as it is on I can print Wireless from my Laptop.

Paul

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That i have to make lol

i belled up ntl and they confused me by saying i have to have my pc as well to plug the thing in!

That router thing is what i have to buy then and then good bye big old pc [:D]

I dont have a printer anyway, i dont do flash stuff like that!

lol

Cheers Paul [:D] as well!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You definately don't need your old PC. You do need a webcam though for it to work.

I cant think why they said you would need your old PC infact, unless they were trying to tell you you had to have it as some kind of server for something, which you don't need to do.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You do need a webcam though for it to work.
Is that just for bath time [:p]
Yes, basically. Theres nothing pervy about it, I/We could just provide a service, scrub yer back there dear, you missed a bit. Don't see what all the fuss is about, and I think its a jolly good idea [:)]

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im definatle on about the wireless internet, not bra...

there no good for me!

lol

Ntl said i plug some router thing in my pc, then when i asked about throwing the pc out the window they said i cant i need it cause they dont make the wireless thing without a pc involved or something along them lines!!!!

And you got me going about the cam, i honestly thought i needed it then!

lol

So basically i need that thing in the link (not the bra link) to make it work!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yes you just need the router in that link. That's not a special one specific to what you need, just one I have installed and used, theres loads of different ones. Once you have got that, you follow the insructions (or ideally, get someone who has done it before) and set your broadband connection up with the router. Once thats done, you can take your laptop (hopefully) anywhere in the house and use the internet.

The webcam is just me being pervy but it nearly worked [:D]

<cough, ahem etc> what's wrong with the bra?! [:'(]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ntl said i plug some router thing in my pc, then when i asked about throwing the pc out the window they said i cant i need it cause they dont make the wireless thing without a pc involved or something along them lines!!!!
people will tell you anything these days [;)]

I have heard that a cam will tripple you internet connection speed... no seriously.... I also seccond the bra comment [:'(]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Right so you are on cable internet then with NTL.

So how is your PC connected to Broadband. NTL do it in a number of ways.

Personally I have a dedicated cable modem (router) provided by NTL and this can accept either a UTP (network) connection or USB. I started with a UTP connection into my PC, when I went wireless I just chose a Wireless router that could spoof the MAC Address (unique hardware address of the network card) so the NTL Cable Modem was fine and allows me to share my connection using the Wireless router.

The other way I have seen on NTL is for the digital TV set top box to have a Network card in it and you just plug a network cable between it and your PC.

Paul

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Right so you are on cable internet then with NTL.

So how is your PC connected to Broadband. NTL do it in a number of ways.

Personally I have a dedicated cable modem (router) provided by NTL and this can accept either a UTP (network) connection or USB. I started with a UTP connection into my PC, when I went wireless I just chose a Wireless router that could spoof the MAC Address (unique hardware address of the network card) so the NTL Cable Modem was fine and allows me to share my connection using the Wireless router.

The other way I have seen on NTL is for the digital TV set top box to have a Network card in it and you just plug a network cable between it and your PC.

Paul
Ahhh, good spot mate. Thats a whole different ballgame then! Forget what i have said [:$]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Lets hope that the old pc has not been junked yet [:|]

I should have noticed that too as im on NTL and had a right nigtmare trying to set a wireless network with my mates so we could play online at the same time .. gave up in the end...

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you are on cable then look at a linksys wrt54g, and slam the
Sveasoft firmware on and you will have
one of the best wireless units money can buy, and it will run faster than
before as well.<o:p>

</o:p>

Then if you have problem with getting the signal in the
other side of the house slam the routers power up from 25mw to 200mw odd. Then
go to http://www.freeantennas.com/ and
build your own antenna for free and not only serve broadband to the entire street
but have free voip built into your wireless router.

Feature Addtions

Client/Bridge mode for multiple clients

Adhoc mode

WDS/Repeater mode

WPA over WDS links

Web based wireless statistics

SNMP

Remote NTOP statistics

Captive portal

Extensive firewall enhancements

- track/block P2P, VoIP, IM, many other services by protocol

- 99% of available iptables filters included

VPN client and server (PPTP in all versions, IPsec as a compile-time option)

DHCP static IP assignment to specific MAC addresses

Wake-On-LAN functions with scheduling

OSPF routing

OSPF load balancing

Multi-level bandwidth management (Premium, Express, Standard, Bulk)

- manage P2P, VoIP, IM connections

- also by ports, IP addresses, and/or MAC addresses

Hardware QoS for the 4 LAN ports

Power boost to 251 mw

Afterburner Support (GS models)

SSH server and client

Telnet

Startup, firewall, and shutdown scripts

Safe backup and restore

VLAN support

Clone Wireless MAC

Reset router on upgrade