Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for bringing up this old chestnut again.Out of curiosity I tried some BP Ultimate diesel this morning.Tank was very low so tried it at 92.5 a litre.[:O]

I have to say there is a noticeable difference ie less engine noise and slightly smoother pick up.

Just put a fiver in so will fill up now and see if I get any better mpg. If I do and even if its only 2 or 3 mpg better I would consider it worth the 5p a litre extra. I will post my findings on the consumption but in all other ways. but there is a noticeable improvement to my previous diesel (shell extra),

regards,

michael.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Its good stuff aint it [:D][Y][:D][Y]

Some find its good some find it bad mind you.

Add some millers diesel power plus to it & you'll have rocket fuel [Y]

·
Registered
638 Posts
I dont find much difference between BP and Shell. The back street garage I normally fill up on, as I have a account with them does sometimes run a bit rough, but then I put some millers in, and it purrs

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've tried BP Ultimate diesel on numerous different occasions and I can honestly say that I can't tell the difference... even more so since I've had my car chipped.

Carlos

·
Registered
692 Posts
I 'misfuelled' with this last week and noticed whilst I was filling. Also noticed it was 94.9p/litre! [:O] Because of this I only put ?20 in and was speaking to the owner of the filling station whilst I was paying and he was telling me that 90% of the people who 'misfuel' with Ultimate actually come back and use it again.

I really noticed a difference in the Touran (even the wife did!) and this time we filled up with 'supermarket diesel' and the difference is really noticeable. Going to try a full tankful next time to see if it improves the mpg.

·
Registered
85 Posts
im a quarter of a tank into a full tank of BP ultimate diesel, first time ive filled it since owning, admit it seems to tick over quieter but my economy has dropped from mid 47's to constant 42/43 and id say ive been drivng less hard since first buying, i thounght it might be having air con on so turned that off and still will not go bakc up???

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ultimate or not, I thought French fuel prices were bad - I get mad when I have to pay more than 1? for a litre of diesel - what on earth has happened to prices in the UK?!!

For information, 1? is 66p! - I fill my 50 litre tank for around 33 quid (Which means a full tank tends to be around 15 quid cheaper)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Fuels always been silly prices over here in the UK compared to the rest of europe.

At the rate it's going with oil at $65 a barrel , fuel will be over ?1 a litre soon!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I 'misfuelled' with this last week and noticed whilst I was filling. Also noticed it was 94.9p/litre! [:O] Because of this I only put ?20 in and was speaking to the owner of the filling station whilst I was paying and he was telling me that 90% of the people who 'misfuel' with Ultimate actually come back and use it again.

I really noticed a difference in the Touran (even the wife did!) and this time we filled up with 'supermarket diesel' and the difference is really noticeable. Going to try a full tankful next time to see if it improves the mpg.
NO! Please be good to your TDI and don't anyone use supermarket 'city' low sulphur diesel. Im a Technician at Citroen and the amount of HDi vehicles we have had to replace the complete injection system on (at around ?2500 inc labour) is crazy. These are common rail engines but the unit injector (PD) engines from VAG are even more complicated and sensitive to fuel quality. They are removing the sulphure from diesel to make the emissions cleaner for in the citys but the sulphure was the only thing that you had to lubericate the fuel pumps and injectors so now they are wearing out prematurly. These expensive fuels (BP and Shell) have additives to overcome this problem apparantly, so perhaps they are worth the money after all. I can guarantee I talk to at least 3 customers this week who thought "diesel was just diesel". And no im not just saying this to you TouranMan because I bet few people on this forum knew this.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Im a Shell diesel extra guy and have been so for a good while. The occasional shot of millers goes in too. Ive had no problems with this and find it good.

Is any BP service station an outlet for BP ultimate diesel? My local BP stations sell diesel but nowhere have I found any info that it is "ultimate".

TOURANMAN - Where do you fill up with BP ultimate? Im Newcastle which isnt far from you.

Id like to give it a go and see for myself.

Cheers.

EDIT - just noticed your now a mod too - nice one!

·
Registered
692 Posts
TOURANMAN - Where do you fill up with BP ultimate? Im Newcastle which isnt far from you.

Id like to give it a go and see for myself.
Not sure exactly where you call it but just up the road from Moor Farm roundabout.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I filled up at Gretna with Ultimate, a MASSIVE 98.9p a litre. I nearly fell over.
In France we're obliged to have the price posted on the pump - if it's too expensive, go somewhere else. Don't they do this in the UK...?

·
Registered
109 Posts
NO! Please be good to your TDI and don't anyone use supermarket 'city' low sulphur diesel. Im a Technician at Citroen and the amount of HDi vehicles we have had to replace the complete injection system on (at around ?2500 inc labour) is crazy. These are common rail engines but the unit injector (PD) engines from VAG are even more complicated and sensitive to fuel quality. They are removing the sulphure from diesel to make the emissions cleaner for in the citys but the sulphure was the only thing that you had to lubericate the fuel pumps and injectors so now they are wearing out prematurly. These expensive fuels (BP and Shell) have additives to overcome this problem apparantly, so perhaps they are worth the money after all. I can guarantee I talk to at least 3 customers this week who thought "diesel was just diesel". And no im not just saying this to you TouranMan because I bet few people on this forum knew this.
I usually fill up at Tesco's..............didn't realise it was that bad!!![:O][:O][:O]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I filled up at Gretna with Ultimate, a MASSIVE 98.9p a litre. I nearly fell over.
In France we're obliged to have the price posted on the pump - if it's too expensive, go somewhere else. Don't they do this in the UK...?
Yes, but you won't find anywhere really any cheaper here, it's our government which is adding loads of tax onto it that's causing the price. We use the same stuff as you, bought from the same places, just we pay more tax on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry but I'd just been speaking to an awful colleague and the 'obnoxious' hadn't washed out of my system - I generally fill up at Calais before I get on the boat.

The latest figures show at least 40% of the existing park and up to 70% of new registrations being diesel here in France. I sometimes find this pretty futile in terms of an argument for running costs as a large part of these purchases are for running around town - although we do have more country than you, so it's not unreasonable to think a diesel would return better mileage. I tend to average around 30,000 klms (18000 mile) which is at the low end of the range, and only the fact that I have yet to find (in my price range, I might add) as supple an engine as my 100cv TDI prevents me from buying a petrol model. The torque on this thing is amazing! But I digress (I'm also preaching to the converted...) The upshot of this increase in popularity is, not unnaturally, the government is modifying the taxation of 'gasoil' and therefore the price is slowly climbing as well.This will undoubtably have a 'knock-on' effect and at some stage the vehicules sold will probably be split 50/50 diesel/petrol - however, we'll have to be quick - 'cos it's all running out...

Still can't get over that price...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts