Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right chaps, so this is my dilemma...

I have a:

2001 (Y) MkIV, 1.4se, black, three door with GTI alloys and GTI rear lights (not alot of modding I know but it looks great and is cheap to run, insure, maintain etc. I call it my sheep in wolf's clothing!). It has 76K on it, Full VWSH apart from last two, but they were done at Autotechnik, just had annual service and had belts changed. 1 owner before me and was a lease car before I bought it so maintained regardless of cost. Inside is pretty immaculate, black cloth, no holes in seats or burns or anything.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 2001 (Y) MkIV V5, black, three door, grey cloth interior, 73k, has full VW service history, winter pack, one previous owner, service due in 300 miles, 12 months MOT, no belt change. He wants ?6k

I drive 250 miles a week of which about 150 are motorway, I put about ?25 a week in the 1.4 at the mo but I WANT MORE POWER! And of course a better spec, I almost melted yesterday when I got in her at lunch time!

I'm nervous about increased running costs etc but think it's a good deal? What do you think I could realistically ask for mine, I want to price it to sell quick.

Any thoughts...?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the opportunity to pick up a 2001 (Y) MkIV V5, black, three door, grey cloth interior, 73k, has full VW service history, winter pack, one previous owner, service due in 300 miles, 12 months MOT, no belt change. He wants ?6k
The V5 engine has a chain drive that doesn't require any maintance. As for the service due in 300 miles, use that to bring the price down.

A 2001 V5 would have 170bhp so would be a considerable amount faster than your 1.4, however fuel consumption on those things is terrible.

With my V5 150bhp (driven like a lunatic admittedly) I cannot get more than 250 miles out of one tank[:$]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, no expensive belt changes neccessary... that's a bonus, I just forked out for my 1.4...

Service, do you think he can go lower than ?6k? What's an annual service on a V5, my 1.4 is about ?150.

I'm not worried about extra bhp, I've owned some pretty quick cars and have been driving a while... The 1.4 was bought based on cheap insurance and reasonable running costs, it was a power/expense/age of car decision!

Looks like I'd just have to stick below 70 unless toeing was called for...!? I get about 200 out of half a tank in the 1.4....

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I wouldnt say the fuel consumption on a V5 was horrendous...

My 170 will do well over 300 miles to a tank for motorway driving, and even town dashes with some use of the right foot will make about 225-250.

It all depends how its driven really. If you want to belt it everywhere, then yes it will drink fuel, but I can get up to 35.5mpg on sensible runs which is not too bad at all for a 2.3 20v petrol car...

If you want punch and good economy, get a PD diesel.

If you want something that sounds lovely, pulls well and goes well, the V5 is definately an option. Completely different to a 1.8T that is boost boost boost out of breath change gear, it pulls strong all through the rev range. The 5 pot burble more than makes up for the lack of whizz bang noises in my opinion.

Seems like a sensible price for the car too. Hit him with the fact that a service will cost maybe a few hundred, pick out some bad points (scratches, tyres etc) and hit him with ?5500 cash?? If you can meet him half way at ?5750 it will still be a good price for what you are getting.

Just bear in mind it will cost much more to insure/run/fuel etc than a 1.4!

·
Registered
115 Posts
'Ear 'Ear ... re all the above. My V5 is in for a service and MOT tomorrow - 70k service is ?92. V5's have a 'major' then an 'minor' service. Me being on the minor means just the filters and fluids will be changed.

There may be some bargaining power that the V5 has at some point missed it's service schedule by 3000+ miles. ie they should be serviced every 10k... how'd it end up on 73k?
I bring my car 1-200 miles before it's service request...... you won't be disappointed with a V5. (Besides all the probelems every other golf has)..... just be wary of points on your license, me having got my first (last?!) 3 points within a month of getting my car...

good luck!

BTW 6 months tax is now ?105!!!!! How much!!!!!

s

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I can handle an increase in petrol costs a week... Maybe have to give up smoking!?

Can't get anywhere near this for price with a TDI, ?6k will get me about another 30,000 miles...

Cheers bazking69 for the advice though... I thought I'd probably end up with positive's...

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Of course I am always going to be a little biased as with most V5 drivers, but if they were bad owners wouldn't rave. OK, you'll know all the usual Golf horrors (fans resistors/window regs/MAFs/creaking trim/tatty door pull trim/rear washer etc etc). Mine has been far from perfect, and at times i've been so hacked off with it I wanted to get rid of it. But it is a nice car, it looks the part and it still makes me smile when I plant the juice. Bar electrical faults and wear and tear, it has been mechanically perfect. Lovely spec and its comfy. OK, its not as tuneable as a 1.8T, and maybe not as fast as a 180 or mapped 150, but I dont regret plumping for the V5. I never even consdiered it, I wanted a 1.8T, but I saw it at a local garage when I was on the hunt, drove it, liked it, the insurance was actually less than a 1.8T (180) and I got it at a good price with a good p/x on my GTi, so that was that as they say!

Have you driven or been out in the car yet?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't driven it but know the guy well who owns it. I think it's in pretty immaculate condition, he doesn't really want to sell it but has to...

Not sure about the 3k service thingy, something to ask him. I'm not sure he'd drop under ?6k, I think he thinks it's worth ?6.5k... I'm not so sure however.

Keep the advice going though, it's getting closer as I just got a qoute for the insurance ?40 pa more than the 1.4!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Is that for a full year or the rest of the year of your policy, as ?40 extra to jump from a 1.4 to a 2.3 seems awfully cheap!

Best bet mate, drive the car, or at least get him to take you out for a spin in it. Should help make up your mind!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Tony,

:Let me put your mind at rest, I went to get a new car six months ago; I wanted an MX-5 or something similar even a Fiat Cooupe, something with a little grunt and was fun to throw around. The one thing I didn't want was a Golf, the reason being our car park at work could be used in the next VW ad for customer loyalty! :)

After having a look round what I fancied the sales rep turned to me and said, 'I've got one more but you won't like it'

At which point he directed me to a 2001 V5 170bhp, now I'd already tried an A3, the MX-5 they had was too old and the Fiat was tatty, so i thought sod it and i took it for a test drive........

.........six months later and the golf is on the drive, and the V5 warble and the performance still brings a smile to my face whenever I take it for a spin, how many cars can make you smile after six months?

Hope this helps.

The Prawn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Prawn...

Still not decided, he's not going for the service and I'll give you ?6k for it... at the mo... and I'm starting to think maybe a ?2k investment in my house would be better than a ?2k investment in a rapidly depreciating luxury item!

Do I really need another 100bhp... The man in red on one shoulder says "yes" the mrs and the man in white on the other is saying... "no"...

I thought when you hit 30 decisions got easier?

re. Insurance qoute, I'm about to come out of the year long punishment of losing 3 years recognisable ncb's from claiming when a skip truck decided to shred the side of my car while I peacefully slept...

The insurance company wouldn't paint test... "Your getting into forensics then sir" and the skip company denied all knowledge "Those three identical paint colours on both vehicles aren't definately not ours or identical" so I had to make ?1000 claim and lose 3 of my seven years ncb's... I am still not calm and it was a year ago...

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
As Prawn says, try one. I'm sure you wont be disappointed

With regards to should you shouldnt you, yes it is a bit of a treat/luxury, but if you can afford it and justify it then why not? Everyman should be allowed his toy to cherish! Let your heart guide you. Its not like you are taking a risk on a rusty old tempremental high maintaince 70's sportscar.

As for the depreciation, a 2001 V5 has already lost about 2/3 of its original value, so its not like you are driving a brand new V6 Laguna off the forecourt...

·
Registered
324 Posts
As i always say I'm all for the man in red, however, let the missus drive it.....and she'll love it

I'm 34, always tended for the safe option and the missus is the same, she grins even more than me now! :)

Shame I won't drive her Citroen C3!!!!!!!

It's a great car and it'll hold it's value, yes it will depreciate, but 6k for a V5? I bought mine 6 months ago for 6500, the garage in my village offered me 6900 for it 3 weeks ago, give me his number and I'll ge tit for the missus at that price!!!

the Prawn

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Prawn

Is it just me but looking on ebay and autotrader, there seems to be quite a few V5s that are up at very very good money and not getting much interest? Just worrys me for the future thats all. I am probably being paranoid. I paid ?4500 for mine in in Nov (plus a 2k p/x on my old mk3 GTi) which I thought was good money, yet I get the impression that I would struggle to get even 6k back for it less than 6 months later, as the V5 seems to be a largely unknown type and the 1.8T is a far more popular entry into Golf 'GTi' ownership.

What mileage has your V5 got? I would sell my V5 tomorrow if someone offered me ?6900 on it, and thats with all the faults now fixed and me finally happy with the car!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
The V5 isn't a common model, so much so even Awesome-GTi have to remodel a V6 4mo CAI to fit it. Insurance companies need to have more details and the engine isn't very tuneable without throwing money at it, (supercharger etc).

However as a base car it is an excellent drive, the warble is gorgeous, the ride is fantastic, and I wasn't a golf fan!!!

The 1.8T is an excellent model with a great engine, but that also means a lot more models will be bought by, and thrashed by, a lot of boy racers, ( apologies to any men who drive them!)

I often wondered if I should have gone for the 1.8T, but in the end the warble does it every time. I don't think the V5 is a common model and I don't think it depreciates badly, rwo ppoints which swing it for me.

The Prawn

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I would have to say don't bother .... which is going against the grain a bit... Yes I love the sound of the engine, but it never feels that fast to me... It cost's loads in fuel, I do mostly town driving and my average comes mpg comes out around 23.. [:'(] I don't drive it like an idiot all the time either....

Interior wise it will be no different from your golf, as for the whole cam belt change thing just make sure that you don't have to have it done... I have got the 10v (150bhp) which is definately a chain but when I rang about servicing it sounded to me like the 20v(170bhp) might have a cam belt... I could be wrong but still worth checking all the same..

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would have to say don't bother .... which is going against the grain a bit... Yes I love the sound of the engine, but it never feels that fast to me... It cost's loads in fuel, I do mostly town driving and my average comes mpg comes out around 23.. [:'(] I don't drive it like an idiot all the time either....

Interior wise it will be no different from your golf, as for the whole cam belt change thing just make sure that you don't have to have it done... I have got the 10v (150bhp) which is definately a chain but when I rang about servicing it sounded to me like the 20v(170bhp) might have a cam belt... I could be wrong but still worth checking all the same..
All V5s and above (2.8, 3.2) are chain driven.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So really it's down to personal perference...... I've not driven a 1.8T, so I am biased, But I've been converted to the Golf cause, and I've no doubt that you wouldn't be disappointed by either a V5 or a 1.8T. Let's face it exactly where are you going to get max mph out of your car? I'm still awaiting an opportunity to get it maxed out.

But I do like to say I've got a V5 in conversation !!!! LOL

The Prawn

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just wanted to add my bit and stir it up a bit.

Isn't someone on the forum selling their tdi 150 for just over ?6k? I get 400 miles minimum when driving like a madman, and 550-570 when driving carefully.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Was'nt so cheap in the end.... my service.

70k service ?92
Key Fob Battery + reprogramme ?44
Brake fluid change ?37
Front Suspension Bushes ?137
+ MOT

...and straight after I'd picked it up we spanked it all the way to Thetford and then Ipswich along the A14. She was dog rough when she went in - but came out of the stealers just like new.... I love our V5 - don't worry about depreciation, who cares... just get the car that you want, the one that makes you smile!

We (me and my las) chose our V5 2 years ago over a Golf GTI and Focus ST170 that we test drove... neither of them compared to the V5 for sheer grunt... in our opinions.

Yes we've had problems - but you'll get that with every MK4 it seems:
? Both lamda probe failures
? Ignition coil failure twice (now all 5 have been replaced under recall)
? The fans packed up not long ago - costing me ?600
? Suspension Bushes

And now my las has a new job which means a 35 mile round trip every day. Which would make sense for us to get a diesel... but we can't bring ourselves to do it!

Oh and we got 340 miles out of a ?52 tank of BP Ultimate this weekend... and we weren't hanging around....

V5='s :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts