Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given the keys to a Cooper S tonight and jesus they're quick enough..

170bhp is all it had but it felt like a LOT more in a car that size..

Supercharger sounds deadly and the power is just 'there' when you press the go pedal. I did miss characteristics of a turbo though the way you get that surge in power, the Mini felt a bit flat high up in the revs. Lovely exhaust note too when you blip it.

Not a bad car but I still hate Minis [;)]

·
Registered
96 Posts
So,good to drive,quick,and presumabely the handling is as good as everyone says,but you still don't like them,are you alive??

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Every MCS I have driven has a very very jerky throttle response - put me right off.

Sweet handling cars though.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So,good to drive,quick,and presumabely the handling is as good as everyone says,but you still don't like them,are you alive??
Maybe the fact that they look silly has something to do with it?

That and the fact that they're as common as shite!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Nah, the Beetle looks silly - the Mini is cool, retro design at its
best. I think they are fantastic cars - convinced my sister into a One
hatch and shes now in a One convertible. For the money nothing comes
close, great build, looks and manic fun to drive. But I don't like the
view from the drivers seat with the upright windscreen and sit up and
beg driving position, and its all a bit 'obviously fashionable' for
my liking - a bit like a TT.

Highly recommend them but I don't want
one, just not really me.

Not at all like Golfs then!

·
Registered
225 Posts
So they get you for free instead?!

You have to admit that when it comes to 95% of their products, you won't hear a bad word said about them!

Surely you can't possibly NOT like the M5 and M6 though?!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You have to admit that when it comes to 95% of
their products, you won't hear a bad word said about them!
Not really no...the last generation maybe, but not the current one. They'v just not got that magic anymore, the shark nosed
aggression and teutonic perfection of old is absent.

M5 and M6 - stunning performance and technological masterpieces, but
they look like poo and at idle sound like a TDI. If I was spending ?80k
it wouldn't be on an M5. I miss the BMWs I used to dream of owning as a
kid.

Anyway, I believe Irish was talking about Minis!

·
Registered
225 Posts
...which, the last time I looked, were made by BMW!!

Fair comments though and the X3 is a shocker.

Dad had a new 323i many moons ago (about 1979 I think) and still raves on about it although he's never had another Beemer since.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Nah, the Beetle looks silly - the Mini is cool, retro design at its best. I think they are fantastic cars - convinced my sister into a One hatch and shes now in a One convertible. For the money nothing comes close, great build, looks and manic fun to drive. But I don't like the view from the drivers seat with the upright windscreen and sit up and beg driving position, and its all a bit 'obviously fashionable' for my liking - a bit like a TT.

Highly recommend them but I don't want one, just not really me.

Not at all like Golfs then!
If you're a man, they are silly, everytime I see a bloke in one I snigger! If you're a good looking lass (and bizzarely I've yet to see a munter in a Mini), they're cute.

Where I live, Mini's out number Golf's by about 3-1 no trouble at all. I was chatting to my mate about this on the way to work and within about 5 mins of saying how common they were, 3 had driven past!

Golf's maybe common but they kind of fade in to the background, much like BMW 3 series because of the conservative styling. The Mini will probably go the same way as the TT, cool to begin with but then way too popular that they're are everywhere.

I don't doubt they're good cars in terms of drive etc.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Doesn't the Mini have a Chrysler engine? euk!
Yup, current petrol engine is built in Brazil by Tritec, a
BMW-Chrysler joint venture. But the diesel is a Toyota lump and new car will have French engines.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suppose it's a bit like a new baby that belongs to a friend, nice and all, you want to hold it even... but the best bit is being able to give it back.

They are just too small, I HATE every bit of the dash and I really do hate to say it but I also find it weird when I see a guy driving one. How our big friend Marriedblonde drove around in one, I'll never know [;)]

But just on the drive alone, it was a good car. I'd still prefer a MKV GTI over one anyday of the week but will it go around corners like the Cooper S does?? Maybe not!

·
Registered
226 Posts
the diesel Mini is terrible - I test drove one for about 2 hours thinking I might get it as my commute car (the missus loved it, ok!) - awful.

Slower than death, uncomfortable and sounded like a transit van.

Worst of it was, the handling was magic, but the 1.4 oilburner was so sluggish it just made me grimace!!

(of course, I ended up buying an Astra instead, which is even worse!!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts