Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, it was a BMW 330D, and it had an AC Schnitzer badge on it.....so it IS a quick car, that handles.

I have encountered the car before, once in the G/F's 1.0Lupo (no chance) and once in my corrado (when I ran out of petrol and he passed me). Today, in my 4motion I see this same car and decide he's got to have it.

so, i followed out of the 40 zone into the 60 zone and sure enough he planted it so I gave chase. I kept up easily, pushing him along the road, until the first bend, which we took at 100mph. by the second bend, which is tighter he must have been doing 120mph, and just threw it round, taking up both lanes (idiot). I slowed a bit as I don't like the way these awful tyres squeal at 80 let alone 120.

By the time I got round that bend he was at the next one, gone!. unfortunatley a BP tanker had misjudged how fast he was going and pulled right across in front if him! I have no idea how he managed to stop in time but he did, very lucky one there.

After the next junction he did a crazy move and pulled out to overtake 3 cars (the guy was driving like someone on one of those cop chase videos!) and my phone rang so I slowed to answer it, he'd proved his point already, I couldn't catch him.

So, gutted to be let down by my poxy standard suspension and cheap tyres. if I'd been in the corrado he's have had no chance (and I'd have crashed into the back of him when he braked!!), but happy that I didn' get the red mist and go after him like a mad man like I would have done 10 years ago.

the new suspension is going on this weekend.....staying standard my arse!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
What year was the 330d as before 2002 the power was abou 184bhp and
after 2002 it was about 205bhp standard so If remapped they'd
have a nice figure both ways.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Lmao, good little story. the mkiv chassis is wofeful in stock form, especially with 200 bhp to handle..... as for the 330d i thought they  were chipped to about 250-270 bhp??? with thtat sign on Its probably been tuned in some form anyway.... quicker than most cars on the road in tuned form!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Nice [:)] Sounds like he was driving like a bit of a knob though? ACS badge could mean anything, hard to tell...

I think the major advantage the E46 has is handling rather than
outright power. My 330ci (231BHP) only has 27BHP more than my old
Bora 2.8 (204BHP) but its definetly a far quicker car. The engine is
much more free reving and the chassis is significantly more competent;
I can
happily throw it through corners far quicker than I ever dared in the
Bora, despite the AWD. I don't get the body roll or sosgy uncertainty
I felt when pushing my MKIV, which was on stock sports suspension after
all. And the RWD means when you get it a bit sideways, it makes you
feel like a
hero, even when you clearly aren't

[:)]

Don't forget with your sleeper, he now thinks a bog standard 2.8 4Mo was keeping up with his (possibly mapped) 330D for a while!

·
Registered
837 Posts
330Ds are plenty fast and when chipped, even moreso. I seem to remember 2 guys taking one on the Gumball Rally and showing up some exotica.

I must be getting old too. I've pulled out of several "races" in the past few months simply because the other person has been driving like an idiot. It also probably has something to do with the fact that I need my car for my job and that I don't want to crash my pride and joy.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've had a similar race too. My Anni vs a 330Ci Sport. M1 Northbound, dry and sunny day. He was behind me and waiting to overtake even though both of us were going approx 90mph. As soon as the road cleared up ahead, I planted my foot and made use of the superior torque and lighter weight and he was caught unawares! I know he had the better car but it still couldn't stop me from smiling when I was so far ahead. He did catch up eventually but this time didn't attempt to overtake anymore, strangely! To be fair, he would have lost me on twisty country lanes as the handling on the Ci is far superior to the Mk4 chassis as most people know. I wouldn't have raced the guy if he was in a 330Cd!

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I planted my foot and made use of the
superior torque and lighter weight
Thats odd, I have eaten many PD Annis for breakfast. Is yours remapped?
Modded one certainly more difficult, and I don't think Ill bother
trying it on with NikBs [:)]

330Ci Sport:

1505KG

231BHP

221 LBS / FT

0-60: 6.2

Golf GTI Anni 150PD

1442kg

150BHP (175 in reality right?)

236 lb/ft

0-60: 8.6 (definetly better than that)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I find it funny that your signature is anti a confused subaru wrx owner, and yet now you find yourself in the same position.

A touch of irony there! ;)

Adam

(owner of a subaru that will whoop any diesel and every VW I have seen on this forum so far!)

(ps. I do now have a 1.8T too, so I do have a reason to be here!)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I find it funny that your signature is anti a confused subaru wrx owner, and yet now you find yourself in the same position.

A touch of irony there! ;)

Adam

(owner of a subaru that will whoop any diesel and every VW I have seen on this forum so far!)

(ps. I do now have a 1.8T too, so I do have a reason to be here!)
What spec is your subaru, there may be some cars on here that can do battle [:p]

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry guys, just looked up that HPA and it won't wipe any smiles!

My car weighs in at 1100kg which is over 100kg lighter, has a better 4wd system, and currently has the same power and more torque.

The engine has been taken out to switch back to my old, larger turbo, and I am having some inlet manifold work done which should see me up to around the 600lbft mark.

As a matter of fact my old turbo (only 500bhp) running on a friends similar car albeit not a wide bodied car like mine, has run 10.85 second quarter miles time and time again. The HPA car are claiming mid 11s.

Andy forest with a lower spec engine than mine but with substantially bigger balls (am not running nitrous thank you very much) is now running 9.8 at 147mph.

Have never been a fan of dragging racing, am just pointing out that you will have to pull out something better than the HPA car.

PS. all in jest, am a car enthusiast first and a subaru enthusiast second, (actually ferrari second but am too you right now!) also this is my fifth golf and I will always love them!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If the 330D was remapped then the 4mo wouldn't stand a chance. Take a
look at www.antandpete.co.uk to see just how fast these things are. As
fast as a Ferrari 355!!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
sorry guys, just looked up that HPA and it won't wipe any smiles!

My car weighs in at 1100kg which is over 100kg lighter, has a better 4wd system, and currently has the same power and more torque.

The engine has been taken out to switch back to my old, larger turbo, and I am having some inlet manifold work done which should see me up to around the 600lbft mark.

As a matter of fact my old turbo (only 500bhp) running on a friends similar car albeit not a wide bodied car like mine, has run 10.85 second quarter miles time and time again. The HPA car are claiming mid 11s.

Andy forest with a lower spec engine than mine but with substantially bigger balls (am not running nitrous thank you very much) is now running 9.8 at 147mph.

Have never been a fan of dragging racing, am just pointing out that you will have to pull out something better than the HPA car.

PS. all in jest, am a car enthusiast first and a subaru enthusiast second, (actually ferrari second but am too you right now!) also this is my fifth golf and I will always love them!
Your car sounds like no joke thats for sure, respect. I'd be interested to read the full engine spec, ecu being used etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your car sounds like no joke thats for sure, respect. I'd be interested to read the full engine spec, ecu being used etc.
Way too much to list.

In short.

Garret GT35R

custom up and downpipe

race gate wastegate

2.2 closed deck block relinered with diesel top hat liners to 100mm bore

oil squirters

farnden stroked forged billet crank with cross drilled oil pathways

PAR forged billet rods

JE custom spec pistons with teflon coating

custom enlarge capacity baffled sump

gas flowed and ported heads

billet valves modded for double springing

titanium retainers

HKS exhaust manifold

much more in the engine but dont want to go too far into it.

Much much more on the car side of things, such as air injectors, water oil separators, oil primer pumps, two fuel pumps with custom return system using Crontec internal pipework down the car.

The best bit is a Pectel T6 ecu running a wide band lambda sensor and knock control.

easily the best bit I bought for the car.

Engine made 568lbft on the dyno, but a lot has been changed since then.

A friends with a slightly lower spec made 621lbft on optimax with NF octane booster.

I am now thinking about using just tesco 99ron, and mapping in a safety margin to ensure the car lasts.

As I said, in 500bhp it is capable of sub 11 second quarters, but not my thing.

Best bit to me is, being a 22B it looks the part.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I planted my foot and made use of the superior torque and lighter weight
Thats odd, I have eaten many PD Annis for breakfast. Is yours remapped? Modded one certainly more difficult, and I don't think Ill bother trying it on with NikBs [:)]

330Ci Sport:
1505KG
231BHP
221 LBS / FT
0-60: 6.2

Golf GTI Anni 150PD

1442kg
150BHP (175 in reality right?)
236 lb/ft
0-60: 8.6 (definetly better than that)
I am guessing these are the official figures you have posted here from each manufacturer. Granted - your car will beat me away from the lights - mine is even slower than a 1.8T 150bhp by comparison. However, what I was getting at but probably not making clear was in-gear acceleration times. What I'd like to see is a comparison chart. In all honesty, The Ci would probably have the TDI beat but many Ci drivers that I come across on the M1 don't use their power.

~ Maxie

PS. Small point but torque is always measured in lb ft , not lb/ ft which is a measure of nothing (or measured in Nm if one is metricated).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts