Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I am getting screamed at by everyone , my clutch master cylinder has died, any ideas how to replace one , along with the slave cylinder, any advise , or hand on help , I could break down and cry atm :(

Does anyone know what the part number would/could be ? of where I can find it on the clutch master cylinder ?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
who has told you this and what have the symtoms been?

slave is inside the box slave/release bearing (£35 ish)

master cylinder is behine the egr valve. (£???)

danny

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my dad and I have come to the conclusion, and the symptoms are : clutch pedal is completely on the floor, won't engage now, tried to bleed the system and no fluid came out when I pushed the pedals down.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
did it happen all of a sudden?

i take it the fluid was completely up to the top in the brake fluid reservoir? as the clutch feed is quite high up.

also is it not leaking anywhere on the pipe?/joints?

are the brakes ok? (or where they after the clutch failed?

the bleed nip is under the left endge of the battery tray.

did you pump the pedal a lot? its a pain as it just sits to the floor and you have to lift with your hand and do this numerous times before you undo the nip.

i dont mean to insult you or your dad but i dont know how mechanically minded you are?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brakes are fine ,fluid levelis fine, no leaks, I would say we are mechanically minded, we didnt pump the pedal alot before we undid the bleed nipple.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
it needs a good pumping. if the seals have gone on the slave cylinder i would imagine that the fluid would be leaking from within the box and coming out the bottom of the box where it joins the engine. just pump the pedal 20 times then undo nipple while pedal is down then tighten it up and lift the pedal up and pump again and repeat process again and again. they are not the easiest to do but they ge tthere eventually. also make sure you keep that fluid upto the top (so its nearly overflowing) and cap off.

danny

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried what you said for 2 hours last night no joy:( so just ordered the part, coming in tomorrow so hopfully by friday evening it will be fixed

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went and bought a clutch master cylinder £76 from the stealers but I need it ASAP and they had the quickest time for delivery the others were saying later next week!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts