Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a bit of a nightmare coming home from BVF on Sunday.... on my way to the Meet with some of you guys, windows down.........sun going down, thought id put my passenger window up (it was messing my hair up [;)]) and CRUNCH, TWANG, yep it snapped....the regulator gave it up....but luckily in the up position so not tooooo bad.

got another panel for it today and.........

45 mins later.....

the old one is out and stripped

Posted Image

new one is fitted...

Posted Image

and everything is as it should be [:D]

Posted Image

now im going to order my coilovers and bushes..

ta ta for now

one happy camper [:D]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, hair is fine now, as is sun burn..... i went brown the next day!! everyone in work wants to know where i went, i cant really say "bristol" can I?! hahaha

hows that Clio drivin?? you booted it yet??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Glad to hear you sorted this easily enough Gareth, the last thing you would have wanted at this time of year is a window that won't go down!! Good to hear also that the sunburn is O.K. now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[:D], all good.....im off to auto pro on the weekend to price up a spray job to get rid of that battle scar the car has......i wonder if they fit coilovers too [:^)]

ive also found an american website that ships to the uk american spec stuff ie oem anni hids for suprisingly cheap prices........i dont know whether to get euro spec tail lights or us spec... a la gaz's

oooooh decisions decisions.

hey Andrew, you got that beast up and running yet [:D]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I had her running today and BOY does she sound SO GOOOOOOOOOD[H]

they have moved my thread over to members rides[:|]

so i posted it 3 times OPPS lol

have a gander and i will get a vid up in tomorrow night

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I usually put both my front windows down and then after a while up (to let out some heat). I've noticed the left wondow is slightly slower in moving than normal (sounds like the motor has more resistance). Show I use some silicone spray??

Whats a window regulator and is mine going?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually put both my front windows down and then after a while up (to let out some heat). I've noticed the left wondow is slightly slower in moving than normal (sounds like the motor has more resistance). Show I use some silicone spray??

Whats a window regulator and is mine going?
if the window travels at a slower rate than the other it could well be that the regulator has a crack in it and put the window 'out of line' slightly, causing the resistance you describe....

the regulator (or clips....that actually break) is the mechanism that moves your window up and down....

its attatched to the metal door skin in the above pic (you cant see it sorry..its the other side of it !!)

what happens is that VW in their wisdom, put white plastic clips that hold the window to the regulator, and after a while (approx 3-4 yrs) they tend to crack/ break off at the very time you really dont want them to. the replacement parts have metal clips instead (but VW never recalled uk cars to fix this common prob)

the fix is a new skin with whole regulator attached(easier to fit and not as fiddly as just replacing the clips .....very fiddly and trial and error).

i'll take pics of the old clips and post tomorrow (if i can still find them!!)

you can only really tell if its the clips if you look, as it might be the motor which i heard also fails sometimes (rarely)

hope this helps[:D]

gar

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I think I'm gonna try and lube the windows with some silicone spray and keep my fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as promised the metal bit that the clips are attached to, im pointing at the place where the clip should be (gone in the bin)....this whole thing holds the window and the clip travels up and down the mechanism....they take alot of strain really [:^)]

Posted Image

hope it helps

gar

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cars quick, crap on motorways! so bloody loud!

Ive priced a new back box with twin pipe - ?200 skint though as ive just come back from blackpool and it aint cheap to drink up there!

Bristol is a nice holiday location [;)]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
it doesnt sound like its going!

mine went and u can tell by watching as the glass goes up or down!

if it goes at a funny angle then its about to go!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Went on holiday for two weeks and the day after I get back I pull onto the drive, put my window up and BANG, the window drops into the door, can't believe that the same thing happened to mine after talking to you about yours at the meet. Popped into Cardiff Volkswagen and 76 quid and two hours later and it's all fixed. I've just got the passenger side to look forward to now!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gutted for you mate, its a terrible feeling when it drops isnt it!

how old is your car?? if its 6 yrs or less then VW are doing a recall on broken mechanisms, they have to be broken though....its just an idea, but have you checked your other window??

you might want to "accidentally" break it inorder to get it fixed for free [;)]

*i dont commend this activity* honest [6]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts