Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work have blocked my favourite web site (UK-Mkivs) during working hours eg 08.00-12.00 and 13.00-16.15

What a shower of bar stewards. The worst bit is I work for the IT section adn there is no hope of me getting it sorted.

They must have been checking the logs and realised that the site is open on active topics all day. DOH!

Ah well guess I won't be about as much

·
Registered
593 Posts
Gutted for ya. I just started a new job and my employer is very strict about internet use. I am only able to get on here during my lunch hour too 12.30 - 1.30 [:(]

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I dont know if its still about but there used to be a site you could access other websites without it showing in the logs, it would just appear as a random I.P address.

First one I came accross http://proxify.com/

We used to use somethnig similar in college when they removed access rights to certain sites. We used the proxy' for a while until we were sussed. We got round that one as well but i dont think your work would be impressed if you were to gain access to the server remotely and change access rights lol..........

Luckily in our office theres only 4 of us, If we had restricted use it would be walk out time.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Dubzter do what i did when My employer did that.... set iup RDP on your home machine and just do all youir surfing from home.

Its one of the reasons I have always wanted a plain text version of the forum... 1 for my Ipaq and 2 for sly work browsing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have actually been formally reprimanded about my UK MkIV's internet activity at work, spending time reading the forum when I had not much else to do. Didn't go down to well but to absolutely honest I really couldn't be bothered and I said that their only response was to say just to try not to go on so much.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Proxys are very good ways of hiding where you're going! It's even better if you log to a proxy through a proxy a couple of times, and then access Uk-mkivs, i.e. go to http://proxify.com/ , login to http://proxify.com/ via the proxify box etc, this way you are protected by several proxys.
ROFPMSL just tried to get to those sites and it is also barred hahaha a big message comes up saying "PROXY AVOIDANCE"

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found out from the guy I though was running the proxy that it is a bought in service and they have no control over what is added but they can get stuff removed from the barred list. Anyway it isn't that bad I suppose I'll survive. I know the IP of the secondary proxy that doesn't require you to authenticate and nothing is barred but it is cloesly monitored.

C'est la vie as they say.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I run my own proxy from my pc at home

Hit that and go anywhere
How do you do that? I'm having similar issues too.....
This has taken months of hard work but here goes.

I use blueyonder isp and so need a DNS name for my machine at home. I used www.dyndns.org for a free DNS name..

This helps incase your IP address at home ever changed..

I then download some free proxy software from www.winfiles.com ( I think ) . Its a basic port 80 and 443 web proxy tool.

So when a request comes in your machine then makes the request and sends the information back to you.

If you have a firewall or router ( I had a linksys router ) I enabled port 80 into my machine. On the PC at work setup IE ( or what ever you use )

to proxy to your home machine ( could be the DNS name you created at www.dyndns.org ) on port 80. The works machine will then always look like its hitting your machine and not real outside web sites which could be blocked.

This is all very good but again its all in the clear. I then took this another step and used something called zebbee.

Google it....

Its a free bit of software used for windows and linux machines and encrypts data. I setup a tunnel between my works machine and home. There is a few example configs on the web site.

I have my web proxy settings configured to 127.0.0.1 ( my local machines loopback address ) the zebbee software is listening for port 80 traffic and when it hits the 127.0.0.1 port 80 fires the data now the tunnel into my home machine. The data then comes out the other end ( my machine ) hits the proxy and makes the onward connection to the real web site.

So the request from your works machine is not only using an external proxy but is also encrypted . I have tested this all with software like

ethereal ( which is a network sniffer ) and you cant see any requests its all encrypted....LOVELY

NO ONE can ever you see surfing for whatever again from work..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts