Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a bit of an issue and i need as many opinions as possible. Basically, if you look at my car (below) the wheels are poop so i want some new ones. Basically I think that 18"s look best on the golf but i have no idea which are good and which are bad. I toyed with the idea of black rims but not sure if they work so well. Can I have some suggestions of what you think look best on this colour car. Im looking to spend as little as possible obviuosly, so nothing over ?800 with tyres [:$]

If you could post pictures or where you can get them from and a price, that would be fantastic. Thank you everyone!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/badlydrunkboy/IMG_1255.jpg

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/

maybe this website will help you!

personally i dont think black alloys will look good! on sum cars they look gr8! but not green!

i would love sum 18inch bbs anni style or r32's on mine! but i think would cost way too much!

u might also want to change ya rear lights and colour code the bumper strips and door handles!

thats wat im doing on mine when i get time! give it a gti look then!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually like the black bumper strips and handles and that. I think they work well with the green car. What do you mean about the lights? Also, whereabouts in Waterlooville are you? Im in Clanfield.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
im near crookhorn school! u know it? well just down the road from there is alldays shop, fox and hounds pub! well im just off the phillip road from there!

well dunno if u have noticed the rear lights on our cars have the big orange bit and are lighter shade of red than the gti or gttdi which are darker and generally look nicer in my opinion!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i know crookhorn school, not far from southdowns. Iv been lookin into changing the lights on mine but they seem to be pretty expensive plus i just bought a pc and all the polishes etc for that so im a bit skint at the mo.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I actually like the black bumper strips and handles and that.
Me too [:p]

Posted Image

For the cost of getting them colour coded properly (that's new rub strips... the factory colour coded ones are different, they're chunkier, if you just sand down the black ones and spray them the finish will be nowhere near as good) I had mine remapped instead, so it actually goes faster rather than just looking like it does [:D]

I know what would happen if I did get mine colour coded: some dozy fool will ding or scratch them in a car park [N]

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Posted Image

For the cost of getting them colour coded properly (that's new rub strips... the factory colour coded ones are different, they're chunkier, if you just sand down the black ones and spray them the finish will be nowhere near as good) I had mine remapped instead, so it actually goes faster rather than just looking like it does [:D]

I know what would happen if I did get mine colour coded: some dozy fool will ding or scratch them in a car park [N]
Exactly, and i think your car proves y point. It looks fantastic! On some colour cars i think the black bits work really well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like the black handles and rub strips too (And grille in my case!) :) I plan to keep em black on my car, I need new a new front one though, some dozey person managed to get it proper scratched :(

http://www.geocities.com/gmchristofi/front1.jpg.txt

http://www.geocities.com/gmchristofi/rear1.jpg.txt

As for what tailights you should go for, I think RBBR's should suit your green car nicely. I'd stay away from 18" alloys unless your gonna get it lowered though, I've driven a golf with 18's before that wasnt lowered....it made turning corners scary O_O

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do i get RBBRs from then and do you know how much they are? I think i'd have to get the wheels and suspension done at the same time. Dont really fancy the 4x4 look.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but if you're after a set of GTI lights I've got a set in top nick. They're Hella standard GTI lights and you can have them for ?55 delivered to Portsmouth.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

Posted Image

Exactly, and i think your car proves y point. It looks fantastic! On some colour cars i think the black bits work really well.
Some peoples taste just baffles me. Shuiming your car does look cool as it is, but i just dont know why you dont get it colour coded. I guarantee 100% you will love it. My car, dark blue, looked sooo much better with it done, yours will look even better as its silver. Then get a set of RCCRs and debadge the back. For less than ?250 if that your car would be totally transformed from cool to really really cool!

In fact thats my new years resolution (better late than never!) .....Persuade shuiming to get his car colour coded!! [:)]

PS Mine was done with the original rubstrips. The finish is perfect. No peeling or anything.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
personally I would just do the bumper strips and leave the door strips black. Maybe some red pinstripe on the door mouldings ??

But, back to the original question, I think RS8's would look good on the green car, but definitely needs to be dropped too !!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Some peoples taste just baffles me. Shuiming your car does look cool as it is, but i just dont know why you dont get it colour coded.
LOL! I've just explained why! [:p][:D]

I guarantee 100% you will love it.
I'm sure I would, but not so sure I'd love it much more than what I have now...

My car, dark blue, looked sooo much better with it done, yours will look even better as its silver.
Hmm, I think the reverse, I reckon it looks better on your car because yours is fairly dark as it is, and matt black rub strips are sort of neither here or there, a bit like putting black wheels on a dark car, whereas on silver they give a sharp contrast and give the car some definition?

Then get a set of RCCRs
Then it's gonna start looking like... a bog standard GTI! I'm actually quite pleased that I've never seen another car that looks like mine (sod's law I'm gonna start seeing loads now...)

and debadge the back.
No way Jos?, badges are staying - all of them! Makes the car look more complete in my opinion, and it's also especially fun letting some people know they just got spanked by a 1.6 [:D]

For less than ?250 if that your car would be totally transformed from cool to really really cool!
LOL! Cool suits me fine, that's ?250 towards my preventative gearbox repair (I presume you do know about the dodgy gearbox rivets on the 1.6 models?)

What about door handles? They'd need doing as well. Just too much money for what it is.

In fact thats my new years resolution (better late than never!) .....Persuade shuiming to get his car colour coded!! [:)]
Dan's on a mission! PMSL

OK going back on topic (ahem)... How about Wolfrace Octanes, the black version with a silver lip? CTD has these on his car and they just look hard as nails, especially so on a car with black rub strips, a hint of old skool "gonna headbutt ya" aggressiveness, look perfect in 17s:

Posted Image

Think Halfords do these, and if you catch them during their sales you'll get a nice chunk of a discount [Y]

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He he, a lot of very good points there shiuming. I've seen those wheels in Halfords a few times but figured if you can get them there they must be pretty common. I was looking around and found these. Now these, I like. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts