Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on an extremely stretched budget, considering i am a student.I recently fitted 18" RS4's onto my golf mk4 1.4s 99 S reg. It has done 60,000 mile and surprise surprise, it is sitting quite high!, so i wanted to get the car lowered.

My budget can only stretch another ?100, so that will only qualify for gmax lowering springs. I cannot afford the coil over kit though.

Will buying the gmax lowering springs alone not be good enough to lower my car by 40mm at a satisfactory level??

You must understand I know coilovers do make more financial sense, but what can I do when I dont have the dollar!

Cheers for you help

Adil

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I don't know your full situation but I'd get a summer job and save for a proper lowering kit with matched shocks. Cost less than coilovers, guaranteed to perform better than lowering springs alone.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
go for some H&R -50mm springs.
You can't go lower than 40mm on the mkiv without replacing the front ARB otherwise your suspension will hit the driveshaft.

Take a look thru the classifieds or Ebay a you should find some springs well under budget

·
Registered
836 Posts
go for some H&R -50mm springs.
You can't go lower than 40mm on the mkiv without replacing the front ARB otherwise your suspension will hit the driveshaft.

Take a look thru the classifieds or Ebay a you should find some springs well under budget
He'll be alright with a 1.4 I think.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ask yourself, where's the money going to come from to change the shocks in 6 months time when they're knackered from the lowered springs.....

Personally I would always change springs and shocks at the same time especially when lowering. When you could fit Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks for about ?400 why bother with cheap stuff for ?100?

Or you could do what I've done and fit some s/h stuff, complete springs and shocks from another forum member.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
No, you can go 30mm without having to change the shocks. Although there are a variety of different height springs on the market. Shocks generally only come in 3 different lengths, the springs can go around 30mm either way on the correct shocks, so you can go 30mm on your standard shocks. Any lower though and you will need to replace the shocks too. You do have to remember that if you don't change the shocks though you will be in for a bouncey ride

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gmax lowering springs will only lower the car by about 40mm, I am not going to lower than 40mm. So will i need to change th shocks aswell??, if so, then how much will they cost?. It seems that alot of people here are telling me not to by gmax springs, so should I enquire about spax or pi lowering springs instead? they seem to be the same price as gmax

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The gmax lowering springs will only lower the car by about 40mm, I am not going to lower than 40mm. So will i need to change th shocks aswell??
Yes, otherwise the handling will be very poor.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Why don't you fit the FK Hightec sports suspension kit that I have? Lowers the car by 40mm, includes matched springs and shocks. Improves handling loads and the ride is not too harsh. Only cost around ?250-?300. Like coilovers but not adjustable.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
.....You do have to remember that if you don't change the shocks though you will be in for a bouncy ride
That's my point - it's a false economy to change the springs and not the shocks. Handling will suffer, ride will suffer and the shocks will wear faster. You then have to pay twice for the springs to be taken off again so you can fit new shocks.....

....you could fit Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks for about ?400....
That estimate includes fitting....

Eibach springs can be had for around ?130, Bilstein shocks for ?190 and fitting varies depending on who you use.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You could put std ones on but they wear faster 'cos of the lowered springs - the Bilstein B4s are available in shortened sports spec and are very similar in price to std ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If i bought new standard shocks, would they wear incredibly fast or just slightly faster in comparison to performance shocks?,

Also can the installment of shocks and absorbers be done at home with able tools and with an able mechanic -(my uncle), or would it need to be professionally fitted?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Honestly you will not go wrong with the kit I suggested. I am impressed with it. ?250+?120 fitting = ?370 unless you fit yourself. Don't think you will find anything for less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i think i will rye, cheers for the help,

btw, i saw http://www.gsfparts.co.uk selling lowering springs for an mk4 golf for ?54 which lowers the car by 40mm , and they sell gas shock absorbers for ?56 which includes both front and rear shocks? Extremely cheap isnt?, so do they mean bad quality or has any other person been successful in using gsf??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what is the point of gas shock absorbers, will they be a suitable substitute for the original standard shocks if i put in performance lowering springs?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
btw, i saw http://www.gsfparts.co.uk selling lowering springs for an mk4 golf for ?54 which lowers the car by 40mm , and they sell gas shock absorbers for ?56 which includes both front and rear shocks? Extremely cheap isnt?, so do they mean bad quality or has any other person been successful in using gsf??
Not individually bad quality, just not matched i.e. if you put the two together you'd be pogoing around on your bumpstops and the shocks would simply wilt under the strain - I know I've done it, I tried to save money and I ended up spending twice as much again putting it right 3 months later.

www.motorsportworld.co.uk sells Bilstein B4 Gas shocks shortened sports suspension versions for ?44 Front (VNE-4575) and ?39 rears (BNE-2917). If you put these shocks with some s/h eibachs or H&R that'll be the best budget system, or simply buy the FK kit that Rye has recommended - it's good quality and is matched unlike the GSF parts.

The gas inside the shocks provide better and more consistent damping characteristics than the usual oil filled shocks. Generally perceived as a good step up from OEM spec.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts