Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8024178032&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

they are farly cheap ?58 posted or so. the filter prob isnt the greatest of quality, and i thought i would like a change and have a bit more growl and woosh to my 1.8t for now (ill keep the airbox and ducting for when ever i get bored or the 'chavvy' sound lol). now i have got this small little filter that has come with it. i have seen it in some of the 1.8t engine bays, can any one post a pic of where its meant to go or tell me where its meant to go... i no how to fit the rest of it no probs... cheers

myk3

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You have another pipe that runs to the left hand side of the standard airbox it fits on the end of that pipe, I think it is the oil breather pipe. Once fitted just secure the pipe to something with a cable tie so it does not drop down and get stuck in the gear s elector linkage.

HTH

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have another pipe that runs to the left hand side of the standard airbox it fits on the end of that pipe, I think it is the oil breather pipe. Once fitted just secure the pipe to something with a cable tie so it does not drop down and get stuck in the gear s elector linkage.

HTH
this is the one:

Posted Image

but then i have a blue tube aswell. this goes from that tube to the CAI pipe?! which one do i use. is one for DBW and one for NON-DBW?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Thats the one, its the secondary air pump feed which is taken from the filtered side of the airbox hence the need to put a small filter on the end.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
is there an echo ?

Gary does your airbox require any other pipe placement as myk3 asked as I know your car is a later reg than mine ?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Same as the picture he posted.

If you have a blue tube that comes off the CAI pipe then this goes directly to the secondary airpump feed and the filter isnt used.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same as the picture he posted.

If you have a blue tube that comes off the CAI pipe then this goes directly to the secondary airpump feed and the filter isnt used.
fair enough.... it came with both of the tube and the filter. i guess it dont matter what optian i take!?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Have you got the kit yet ?

if so just have a look and see if the pipe will fit over the secondary air feed pipe, I personally prefer the look of the other mini filter.

Either way enjoy.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you got the kit yet ?

if so just have a look and see if the pipe will fit over the secondary air feed pipe, I personally prefer the look of the other mini filter.

Either way enjoy.
yah i got it... ill try and fit it when i get in from work.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i fitted this. the performance is no better or worse. but i get a mighty big woosh now. the fitting of the pipe wasnt to great.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update for any one who missed it:

i have been using this intake for 3 days now and i can say that the performance is slightly better than the 80mm ducting and green pannel filter i had before. the sound is great, much louder turbo spool, suck and massive woosh. allong with the milltek it sounds nice. i took the car for a thrashing, poped the bonnet and the stainless steel pipe was freezing cold. it sounds as good as any other CAI i have heard and for allot less than half the price i highly recomend this!! ?58 well spent.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I also like the look of this too, would not mind going for it, however it is fairly well documented and tested both on this forum and Vortex that 80mm duct + Green filter + smooth box = better airflow, the only way you will really know is to do some MAF runs with VAG _COM. be interesting to see if its more than your green cotton setup.

Suppose I would def go for the sound aspect - is the filter of good quality? anu chance that can be replaced with a green cone filter instead?

Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have actually just changed my Carbonio CAI for the Smoothed Airbox & 80mm ducting setup as I am currently trying to sell my car and I have noticed that acceleration feels a little smoother.

It isn't really a fair comparison though as the filter that was on the CAI hadn't been cleaned and so was pretty clogged up and that could have been affecting it.

The one downside though is the sound, as with the CAI it gave it a nice intake roar that actually made it sound like there was an engine, now it just muted souless drone until the turbo spools up and then you can hear that.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ill get some loggs when i am free [y] and compare to my old green panal filter and 80mm ducting

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just to let every one no, i now have the green panal filter up for sale (about 3 months old) ?25 posted.

and i have the air box up for sale, the bottom part is smoothed, but i never got round to smoothing the top part. so if you want an airbox to smooth then replace with your current one there after i will sell it for ?14 posted

i accept paypal.

thanks

myk3

·
Registered
246 Posts
i fitted this. the performance is no better or worse. but i get a mighty big woosh now. the fitting of the pipe wasnt to great.
How difficult was it to fit this pipe? did you have to remove battery or bumper?

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
sounds good I mite go for this, although I have not done REVO yet, my concerns were the filter quality. But you could sell that one and just get a Green Cotton Cone that could fit making it even better! ..LOL

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts