Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just renewed my insurance.

For a 1.9TDI (90bhp), 10,000 miles per annum, might go after that but oh well, 3 points for speeding on the motorway, 25yrs old, 5 years no claims.

?107.93p [:D][:D][:D]

So, a couple of tips for people:

Firstly, do you need legal protection? Chuck that in the bin. Raise your voluntary excess, once you get old like me you don't have that young drivers rip off excess anymore. My excess for the above is ?300. Do you really need a guarenteed hire car? Most of us can borrow a car should the need really arise. Your paying for a rental car and may not get to use and abuse it.

Stick your mum or dad on, or both, so long as they have been driving for years and have no claims and no convictions. I did the above on that quote with my dad, knocked ?35 off just for adding him to the insurance as a second driver.

You can normally get money off, quite a substantial amount off too by going through cashback sites.

Hopefully the parents trick may help some of you who are currently the sole driver of the car.

I'm soooooo happy with myself. First time I have ever paid off my insurance in one go! Used to be paying well over a grand a year!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
DAMN W36!

That is SOOO cheap!

What company was that with?im with elephant at the moment and am paying 500 for a 1.6! thats the cheapest insurance i have ever paid, i will be 24 in august.....maybe the area (east london) has something to do with it!

p.s. I know yo should, but does everyone declare their mods to the insurance companies?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup. And your point being?!

Makes no difference on the insurance. I can be insured on my mates bora for less than the MK3 golf as the bora is insurance group 6.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I don't believe that engine and car age have no influence on the quote

Anyway why so rude? I was asking a simple question as you don't actually state which car, how old or what mileage it is

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh right, sorry Cat. Thought you were implying that it's a cheap insurance as it's cheap tat that I'm insuring.

Which would actually be true, but I defend this car to the hilt as it's possibly the best car I have had yet for doing what a car should do.

The age of the car don't make much difference I have found. It's as much for me to insure this as it is a Y reg 90bhp TDI Mk4 give or take a few quid.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL.

I washed it the other day. I also applied some roof racks to it, does that count? I now get a lovely whistle when I go above 30mph to compliment the bag of spanners diesel noise.

I sold the car that was modded to the hilt (most of it not done by myself) to fund my house purchase, I now have a MK3 golf with dents, scratches and a windscreen chip, with a damn brilliant engine in it!

I'm old now, grown out of the modding scene [;)]

See ya later strawbs [:D]

We all know proper blond means 'with a hint of bottle' [:p]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Firstly, do you need legal protection? Chuck that in the bin. .
graham are you mad ........legal protection is about ?10 and covers ya for all solicitors and court fees

example

ya driving along in the wet and some little muppet slams in the side of ya

then its down to proving who was a fault ..................

and the solicitors do all that for ya ........me personlay wouldnt remove that from my policy

thats a big risk ya takin mate

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This is true!

And if you didn't wanna claim on your own policy then the legal team help you with claiming through the other insurance too.

The legal team also deal with any personal injury claim.

And claim back your excess if you did claim off your own policy.

Otherwise you have to do everything yourself.

Tis only cheap, legal.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
graham are you mad ........legal protection is about ?10 and covers ya for all solicitors and court fees

example

and the solicitors do all that for ya ........me personlay wouldnt remove that from my policy

Know someone who tried to use this through Tesco's. Yer it was free, for the first HOUR!

After that, he had to pay for all the stuff you normally would. This was about 5 years ago, and was all in the small print. Basically the legal protection was, in his eyes, having a solicitor handy and seeing if you have a case, nothing more.

It was from there that I thought I aint gonna bother with it.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

example

Legal protection insurance is a con.... by having insurance your already covered... also if your to blame why would you fight it? if your not to blame there are 100000 of lawyers out there who will act on a no win no fee basis.

Plus in many cases your own insurance will fight the case themselves to save paying out...... do a google to see what the real need for it is...... it is not a risk at all

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
i see what ya saying but i always check the type of legal cover it has ,

i had a couple of bumps years ago that wasnt my fault and it got sorted very fast ,

i know a couple of people who dont have legal cover and they took ageas to sort out like 2 odd years im talking

and as for insurance companys fighting ya corner ......dont make me laugh

the storys ive heard and experianced goes on the lines of

well who's to blame ....erm dont know , lets leave it 6 months and lets call it 50 / 50 then

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The insurance company decides whos fault the accident is. Sometimes the liability has to be split if there is no proof of what actually happened.

Legal is there to claim back your excess and anyother out of pocket expenses you maybe have (inc. personal injury clams) - all class as un-insured losses which your insurance company won't help you out with.

And as far as I am aware (with us anyway) you do not get just the first hour free with legal. They are free untill the end.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The insurance company decides whos fault the accident is. Sometimes the liability has to be split if there is no proof of what actually happened.

Legal is there to claim back your excess and anyother out of pocket expenses you maybe have (inc. personal injury clams) - all class as un-insured losses which your insurance company won't help you out with.

And as far as I am aware (with us anyway) you do not get just the first hour free with legal. They are free untill the end.
Thats what your training course told you yes?!

Like Andy say's, there are lawyers out there falling over themsleves for no win no fee cases. They are only interested in taking on cases that will win. So I'm pretty happy to go to one of them if a dumb blond in a silver golf ever comes careering into me [:)]

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Thats what your training course told you yes?!

Like Andy say's, there are lawyers out there falling over themsleves for no win no fee cases. They are only interested in taking on cases that will win. So I'm pretty happy to go to one of them if a dumb blond in a silver golf ever comes careering into me [:)]
What training course? No I learnt all of this by speaking to our solicitors.

Them no win no fee people piss me right off. They charge way too much.

and I know your last sentence was aimed at me you twat [:p]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts