Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear the mk4 Golf is turning into the new Corsa. The amount of golf's I see being chav'd up, with huge alloys, fake xenons and bubbled privacy glass is on the increase. Only today, I had a young "kid" in a modded up Golf almost sitting on my rear bumper. Let him get past only to see his huge alloys, huge twin exhaust on his Golf 1.4!!!!

First it was the Vauxhall Nova's, then the Corsa's, next will be the mk4 Golf. Never really noticed how common the mk4 is. At one point whilst queing at some lights (around 10 cars back) I saw 4 Golf's in line waiting.

Also, why is it that poeple in other Golf's feel the need to try and race each other? No offense to the following car owners but why do people in 1.4 / 1.6 / tdi's try the traffic light grand prix.....they must know they do not have a chance in hell!

I love our Golf's, but I am beginning to wonder what will happen in the future!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The issue is more finance IMO. They shouldn't let people have credit cards and loans, then they couldn't afford the cars and big wheels!

·
Registered
470 Posts
....I see that Vauxhall have finally started advertising that the Corsa is driven by muppets too!

Something that the rest of us have known for a while.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I fear the mk4 Golf is turning into the new Corsa. The amount of golf's I see being chav'd up, with huge alloys, fake xenons and bubbled privacy glass is on the increase. Only today, I had a young "kid" in a modded up Golf almost sitting on my rear bumper. Let him get past only to see his huge alloys, huge twin exhaust on his Golf 1.4!!!!

First it was the Vauxhall Nova's, then the Corsa's, next will be the mk4 Golf. Never really noticed how common the mk4 is. At one point whilst queing at some lights (around 10 cars back) I saw 4 Golf's in line waiting.

Also, why is it that poeple in other Golf's feel the need to try and race each other? No offense to the following car owners but why do people in 1.4 / 1.6 / tdi's try the traffic light grand prix.....they must know they do not have a chance in hell!

I love our Golf's, but I am beginning to wonder what will happen in the future!
yes many golfs with mods are poping up around my way aswell.

but your being a bit harsh, like many people seem to be these days, to the guys with the smaller engines (1.4/1.6/tdi etc)

however i do not accept/encourage racing on the road (with any engined car)!!!

we cant all afford insurance on 1.8Ts or bigger

and you never know whats under the bonnet of any of them, my car is pushing as much bhp as a 2.0 gti now.

dont be SOOOO harsh to the guys with smaller engines, i hope for your sake E5STA doesnt see this post!!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
and you never know whats under the bonnet of any of them, my car is pushing as much bhp as a 2.0 gti now.
[:|] lol.

You say you can't afford insurance on 1.8T's etc yet you throw huge amounts of money at a 1.4/1.6 for neglible reasons. That guy lex bought ?1500 R32 seats for his 1.4? Why?

Why not just put that ?1500 towards a 1.8T? It doesn't make sense to me to dress something so slow up as something its not. Why humilate yourself and other R32 drivers when someone tries to race you?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
TBH I thought this then looked around and noticed that its most 3 year old plus hatchbacks that are suffering..

look at how many focuses rover 200's astras 206's

I think its just the popularity of modding rathere than poularity of modding golfs thats vecoming more modern... hell I have evene seen a good few chavved up mk5's

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
It's all the fault of MAX POWER.

Also speaking as an older git to all you other old gits...... Don't forget that you were young once !!

.......I really should be driving a Passat Esate [insert pipe and slippers emicon here]

And I'm sure you NEVER did anything like this when you were young, did you ? Never raced, yeh right, LIARS !!

I had a MK1 Golf 1.3 CL and that thing was a dead ringer for a GTI and I loved it. Sadly for me I didn't have a Daddy who could afford to buy me whatever I wanted, I had to make do.

BUT

There is no excuse for tastelessly chavving up any car.

I'm jolly well very cross indeed at the blatent display of old gittedness that's on display here I can tell you.

Posted Image

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Issue raised on here many times, at least once a year....joined up here when I was 20 and we argued about it then! Fact is as the cars get older, they get cheaper, and as soon as you hit the ?2,500-?5,000 area you are talking first cars / 17 year olds / cheap mods.Some will do it 'right', others won't. Saxos, Corsas, Focus, Golf...happens to all of them.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

You say you can't afford insurance on 1.8T's etc yet you throw huge amounts of money at a 1.4/1.6 for neglible reasons. That guy lex bought ?1500 R32 seats for his 1.4? Why?

Why not just put that ?1500 towards a 1.8T? It doesn't make sense to me to dress something so slow up as something its not. Why humilate yourself and other R32 drivers when someone tries to race you?
yeah i know someone who had a 1.6 and now has a 2.8 v6 under the bonnet of it

if lex wants to do that then y not!!! dont hate him for it!!! i would love to, but i think its a bit much cash for me.

you say "dress something so slow up as something its not" - well if you cant afford insurance on somethin quicker, but would like something really nice looking then y not? and i would hardly be humiliated if an R32 tried to race me, because i would know the end result and not try!!!

if i want some speed then ill just ask my dad to take me for a spin in his car.

and when im 21 and insurance becomes realistic then i will be driving a bmw 330 clubsport. but i will never look down on any of u with smaller engines will i!!!

dont be so bl**dy harsh and blatanlty rude.

im sure many of you would have loved your car to look as good and go as well as some of the 1.6's on here do when u were under 21 !!!!!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

yeah i know someone who had a 1.6 and now has a 2.8 v6 under the bonnet of it

if lex wants to do that then y not!!! dont hate him for it!!! i would love to, but i think its a bit much cash for me.

you say "dress something so slow up as something its not" - well if you cant afford insurance on somethin quicker, but would like something really nice looking then y not? and i would hardly be humiliated if an R32 tried to race me, because i would know the end result and not try!!!

if i want some speed then ill just ask my dad to take me for a spin in his car.

and when im 21 and insurance becomes realistic then i will be driving a bmw 330 clubsport. but i will never look down on any of u with smaller engines will i!!!

dont be so bl**dy harsh and blatanlty rude.

im sure many of you would have loved your car to look as good and go as well as some of the 1.6's on here do when u were under 21 !!!!!
Well said that YOUNG man.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
why thank you mr ct.p

or are you being sarcastic [^o)]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Not at all.

We were all young once.

A bit jealous maybe, as as above I wasn't in a position to get behind the wheel as anything as exotic as a 330 or whatever was current when I was 21; either you've got a very good job / whizzkid (not a bad thing, just jealous) or a very generous old man (again not a bad thing, just jealous).

·
Registered
11 Posts
i also think its a bit harsh.

Ps im 21 now and insurance is still not good... But im quite happy with my 1.6, it does sport R32 alloys which the previous owner added but i think they look good so why not - doesn't make me a chav or a boy racer.

I love my VDub and will keep it until im 25, insurance comes crashing down then i can drive a Gold Whatever the hell i like.

So there.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I love my VDub and will keep it until im 25, insurance comes crashing down then i can drive a Gold Whatever the hell i like.

So there.
not anymore it doesnt, you'll be waiting until 30 for that [:p]

·
Registered
158 Posts
i a bit pissed so i prob talking shit now anyway i remenber spending a fortune on a mk2 1.3 big bumpers gti interior lowered suspension etc respray imperial blue alloys looked minted, i even bought a gti to put the engine into how daft was i. crashed the 1.3 put the gti on the road and it only cost 100 pounds more to insure than the 1.3 os if i had known that i wouldnt have bothered spending a shit load of money on on the 1.3 as i say a bit pissed now

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
i. crashed the 1.3 put the gti on the road and it only cost 100 pounds more to insure than the 1.3 os if i had known that i wouldnt have bothered spending a shit load of money on on the 1.3 as i say a bit pissed now
This is the biggie...I don't think most people ask the question and just assume its loads more when it might not be, certainly not much more than insuring a modded car with a smaller engine. I remember being in a Hill House Hammond office when I was 21, getting insurance with my Mum for her Audi A4 1.9TDI. I asked how much to add me to the policy and he laughed an 'as if' laugh and shook his head. I then explained to him the Bora 2.8 V6 outside was costing me ?630 fully comp mods declared, and he soon shut up...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts