Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

new to this site, looking for a golf gt tdi black 3 door, and seen a few advertised but how do you tell difference between both, some have all red letters some have two.

ive been told its something to do with number of headrests in back! is this true??

any help please

cheers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate! Well the badges on the back tend to mean very little, I don't know much about the differences between the two models but I think the 150 has 3rear head rests and defiantly has the 6speed gear box. Hopefully others can offer some more detailed help!

·
Registered
409 Posts
1.9 150 has sports suspension as standard, montreal 2 alloys, i think a
GTi badge. The 130 won't have these unless it was specified as an
option and I don't think a gti badge at all. Both have 6-speed box

Third headrest would have been an option on all of them i think depending on whether a centre seat belt was added (i think)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate! Well the badges on the back tend to mean very little, I don't know much about the differences between the two models but I think the 150 has 3rear head rests and defiantly has the 6speed gear box. Hopefully others can offer some more detailed help!
i used to have the 150pd before i got my 1.8t (seen the light!!). Mine defo had 3 headrests and a 6 speed box, but im sure of heard of people with the 130pd with a 6 speed box.

Whilst there will be distinctive differences (and im sure someone will be along shortly to confirm what) personally the best way to find out is to ask...and even when told its a 150, check the log book? The only real way to be certain. oh an hpi should also show up if its a 150?

happy car hunting!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
viewed one tonight that was advertised as 150, had GT TDI on back and D and I were red, log book just said GT TDI, had a few knockes and dents and paint poor, but awesome spec, xenons, leather sunroof everything i want!

called local VW dealer who said it was a 130, he thouhght head rests was sure way to tell, but i sure someone on here will have more positive answer.

cheers

·
Registered
829 Posts
The trim level on a PD150 is as per a petrol 1.8T 180 and a UK car should be badged GTI . Red I
( Take one big can of worms - shake well, open, and run...) [;)]
This includes the 3rd headrest in the rear, and after 2002/3 - Sports seats, not Recaros. (Unless it's an Anniversary.. they do have Recaros).

Other differences include better intercooler, slightly lowered and firmer suspension ( -15mm and less bouncy than a PD130), 16" Montreal 2 alloys, standard Climate Control, etc.

Apart from the R32 - accepted as the ultimate standard Mk4, and polling at 21% , forum members have recently voted the PD150 best of the rest @ 16% with the 'best all rounder tag'..

Allan

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right so its nothing to do with the coloured badges much on back, less red isnt necessarily less power.

lower suspension may be hard to spot but 3rd headrest and bigger wheels easy. easy, ive seen 130 with climate though, bloody hell this is annoying, maybe a case of ringing VW dealer everytime with chassis number.

i just wish there was someway you could tell from engine number or VIN number

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm sure the data sticker is the most reliable way to tell. The power is stated in KW on it. AFAIK 96KW is 130PS and I assume 150PS will be more!

Sarge

·
Registered
829 Posts
Data sticker is usually under the boot carpet - should say 110KW if it's a PD150.

Oh, and agree with the Sarge - inside front cover of the Service Book - it's a white sticker.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Data stickers the best way to tell i think & it's in the boot beneath the carpet on the side of the spare wheel well,mines a 150 and says 110Kw,I think the manual has the same sticker in the front,not 100% on that though?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hey.. I'm not really a time lord - there's a little edit button . used that instead of posting another reply. [H]

·
Registered
434 Posts
Best to look in the service book for the codes!

As my 130 is spec'd up to the 150 [:p] (except for the GTI badge)!

So going by just the options is not a good idea, as they just could be added options!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
The engine cover badge will have TDI on it in all red too.

Intercooler is front mounted, not in the arch like the 130's, rear center head rest is standard, extra vents in front valence, monty 2 16" rims, bigger brakes, tinted rear lights.

or just find a 1.8t, look at it & imagine it with a REAL engine, then you have PD150 Spec [:D]

·
Registered
829 Posts
or just find a 1.8t, look at it & imagine it with a REAL engine, then you have PD150 Spec [:D]
ROFLMAO

You know that big can of worms I mentioned...

I reckon they're out and wriggling[H] Well done that man!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts