Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this possble on a 1998 Passat? The Chief looked at my car and managed to reset it using vagcom, but the next day it re-appeared.

I have 2 Passats and my dad has 1. Is there a tool that can be bought that can reset the service insp light? If so, how much and where from?

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can do it using the 2 reset buttons in yourinstrument cluster without the need for Vag-com it seems to be the same method as resetting a Golf one according to Autodata it should also tell you how to reset the indicators in your owners guide that you got with the car if you cant find instructions contact me and I will send you what the Autodata CD rom says

·
Registered
638 Posts
How do you reset it without VAG COM? Just soon my car will start wingeing about its service being due counting down from 2000 miles, and I hate the way it shrieks at me when starting the car.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you want to reset it to 10'000 miles/365days what you do is.

1.Ignition off

2.Press and hold your mileage reset button

3.Turn ignition on

4.Let go of your reset button

5.Turn your clock button to the right and hold for 4 secs

6.Tada its reset

7.Turn your ingition off/on to confirm

8.Send me beer

but if your car is set on long life you dont want to set it via the buttons, always do it through the diagnostics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From the book

"....If the service is not performed by a VW dealer, the display must be reset as follows:

With the ignition switched off, press and hold the trip meter reset button.

Turn the knob to set the minutes on the digital clock to the right.

The display will return to normal.

Please note that you cannot fully reset the service display in this way. You can only reset it back to the 10K service....."

There is two service intervals that will need to be set Oil and Inspection.

If both are displayed you are able to switch between each by a single press of the reset button when the service indicater is displayed as detailed above.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Heres some more settings if you have vag-com or similar

First Access dash panel insert (17) and then for

98> 1J Golf & Bora/3B Passat/9C Beetle/7M Sharan

Enter Adaption (10) and then enter these settings

Time & Mileage

channel

43 - 15

44 - 360

45 - 1

Long life petrol

channel

43 - 30

44 - 720

45 - 2

Long Life Diesel

channel

43 - 50

44 - 720

45 - 4

However if you just want to reset it on 2001> models, bearing in mind some are set for time and mileage and some for long life all you need to do is :

Dash - 17

Adaption - 10

Channel - 02

Set - 00000

and this will reset it and keep it to the regime it was already set too.

Heres a couple more for other vw drivers

6N Polo 98-2001

Dash - 17

Adapt -10

Channel

10 - 100 for 10000 miles

11 - 200 for 20000 miles

12 - 360 for anual countdown

And finally 9N Polo 01>

As 1J Golf except

T & M 43 - 150

L-L-P 43 - 300

L-L-D 43 - 500

If it make sense use it, if it doesnt dont tamper OK!!

Sorry edited because the origional had messed up spacing

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has a mk4 golf. I turned the service light off by holding the trip reset button in, Then turning the ignition on whilst still holding the trip switch in and then turning the clock set button clockwise. How do I now turn the Yellow oil light off that keeps flashing...?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
My wife has a mk4 golf. I turned the service light off by holding the trip reset button in, Then turning the ignition on whilst still holding the trip switch in and then turning the clock set button clockwise. How do I now turn the Yellow oil light off that keeps flashing...?

Cheers
Top up the oil?

·
Registered
348 Posts
FYI: A proper service includes checking oil and several other things in the engine compartment. Therefor the light will only go off after operating the engine compartment switch, so for example opening and closing the hood should do it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.