Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
After getting a pair of Hella RCCRs today, with some useful tips from this forum, I decided to make a photo guide to help anyone who is thinking of removing their rear lights. Hope this helps. Here goes :

Frisky...

The only tools I needed were : 8mm socket head, T20 Torx head (star shape head), Blu Tack (thanks to jamesf for this tip), a screw driver type socket handle and flexible extension. Put a blob of Blu Tack in the socket head as this keeps you from losing the nut when you unscrew and refit them.

Toolsused.jpg

We'll start with the driver's side. This is easier to do. Open up the flap to gain access to the rear of the lights. The driver's side has 3 nuts and 1 pin. 2 on the side :

driverssidesidenuts.jpg

...and 1 at the rear :

driverssiderearnut.jpg

Making sure you use a nice blob of Blu Tack in the socket, remove each of the 3 nuts. Careful when you take them off as not to drop them down into the bodywork. The Blu Tack will help loads.

remove rear nut (driver's side) :

4f6f5689.jpg

remove upper side nut (driver's side) :

e795ae17.jpg

remove lower side nut (driver's side) :

957c2aa2.jpg

Unclip the bulb holder. Press where the 2 red circles are and pull.

611c5a53.jpg

The rear light unit should just pop out a bit now.

b469144f.jpg

There is one pin in the pointy corner (see pic). Grabbing the light unit, careful and slowly wiggle it out (follow the way the pin is pointing in the pic).

driverssidepin.jpg

Here is a pic when the light unit is removed :

6c884b2f.jpg

Refitting is simply a reverse of the steps above.

Ok, the passenger side now. Initially, I tried doing all this with the carpet trim in place, but it proved a real pain. You will need a T20 Torx screw driver head to remove the first aid kit holder bracket. Then simply tug the trim and the poppers will come out. You may need a flat head screwdriver to help. The passenger side has just 3 nuts (no pin).

Here is the rear nut :

3044dd45.jpg

And here are the two side nuts. Notice the tiny square hole half hidden behind the wires.

6cde2a2c.jpg

Here is a close up of the lower nut :

8fd4561f.jpg

Remove the rear nut :

passengersideremoverearnut.jpg

Remove the lower side nut (make sure the Blu Tack holds the nut firmly when you carefully remove it) :

passengersideremovelowersidenut.jpg

Now remove the upper side nut. There is no pin on the passenger side.

passengersideremoveuppersidenut.jpg

Now unclip the bulb holder. The light unit should just come out quite easily. Here is a pic of the holes with the light unit removed :

passengersidewithlightremoved.jpg

Refitting is just a reverse of the removal steps. Be careful not to drop the lower side nut when refitting it.

And there you go. It should take only about 30mins.

Here's a before and after shot :

BeforeandAfter.jpg

Frisky...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Excellent 'how to' guide mate, I know that alot of people struggle locating the nuts for the passenger side, will make sure everyone is re-directed to this guide in future [:)]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Fantastic write up! [Y] Very clear and concise. Excellent quality pics, and the write up is very thorough! [<:eek:)]

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the kind comments everyone. Hope it helps all those attempting this mod especially locating that 'hidden' passenger side nut.

Frisky...

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
:) i love you, had i not read this thread i would be still struggling to fit the frickin' passenger cluster!

have a lookie!

BEFORE

Posted Image

AFTER

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers!

jammy

·
Registered
650 Posts
Very good work mate , one other tip though , put some tape round the socket when it is on the extension and it might save you a trip to Halfords for another socket like I had to.Mine came off the extension when I was doing the one through the square hole

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Good guide I used this when I done mine [Y]

BUT the nut thats near the wire came out of the socket and fell down [:'(] I did put one of them extendable magnet pen things down there but nothing came back so do I have to remove the rear bumper to get it back?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
don't worry, i did that too.

you gotta remove as much of the surrounding trim as poss, then you'll reach the floor and see the nut you dropped!

jammy

1 - 20 of 83 Posts