13,211 Posts
OK Mate

here is a list of tools[;)]

Philips screwdriver

small flat head screwdriver

17mm spanner

YUP thats it mate

Step 1:

Remove the FRONT A post trims by getting a good grip of them and pulling outwards

Step 2:

Using the flat head remove the plastick cover on the light console in the roof and there you will find 2 phillips screws(remove)

Step 3:

Pull down the handles in the roof and you will find 2 caps that will open with the flat head and behind that are 2 more phillips screws

the same process is used for all 4 grips.

Step 4:

Using the flat head screwdriver prize open the covers from the seatbelt on the B post (THEY OPEN UPWARDS) and undoo the 17MM bolts, this process is the same for all 4.

The trim wil pull of the same as the front ones.

Step 5:

Open the boot and on the top of the roof lip you will fina a thin long plastic trim that you need to get a good grip of and pull downwards

THE ROOF IS ALMOST FREE
Take off the tops of the door rubbers by pulling down on them but you only have to do it enough that the roof is free so not all the way off.

giving it a tug and a wigle about should loosen it enough so you can see all the wores that are glued to the roof

(LOOK ON THE PASSANGER SIDE A POST YOU WILL FIND A PLUG NEAR THE DASH THAT YOU CAN DISCONECT FOR THE ROOF LOOM)

the rest should be easy mate.

hope that helps[:|]

Andy

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Mate

here is a list of tools[;)]

Philips screwdriver

small flat head screwdriver

17mm spanner

YUP thats it mate

Step 1:

Remove the FRONT A post trims by getting a good grip of them and pulling outwards

Step 2:

Using the flat head remove the plastick cover on the light console in the roof and there you will find 2 phillips screws(remove)

Step 3:

Pull down the handles in the roof and you will find 2 caps that will open with the flat head and behind that are 2 more phillips screws

the same process is used for all 4 grips.

Step 4:

Using the flat head screwdriver prize open the covers from the seatbelt on the B post (THEY OPEN UPWARDS) and undoo the 17MM bolts, this process is the same for all 4.

The trim wil pull of the same as the front ones.

Step 5:

Open the boot and on the top of the roof lip you will fina a thin long plastic trim that you need to get a good grip of and pull downwards

THE ROOF IS ALMOST FREE
Take off the tops of the door rubbers by pulling down on them but you only have to do it enough that the roof is free so not all the way off.

giving it a tug and a wigle about should loosen it enough so you can see all the wores that are glued to the roof

(LOOK ON THE PASSANGER SIDE A POST YOU WILL FIND A PLUG NEAR THE DASH THAT YOU CAN DISCONECT FOR THE ROOF LOOM)

the rest should be easy mate.

hope that helps[:|]

Andy
yes thanx thats exelent have you done your headliner?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I can get my headliner out in under 10 min mate lol

not yet but i have had aquote to have it done with all the pillar trims in black alcantra for 200 quid at a local shop where i live

i take it out twice a year to shampoo it as i smoke in the car [:$]

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hhhmmmmm what a terrible habit lol,  what sort of shops undertake this sort of work i have looked on the net but not found anywhere i was going to try do it myself.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
I reckon a half decent upholsterer would do it for you mate. Try it yourself and if you don't succeed then take it to someone to do for you

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reckon a half decent upholsterer would do it for you mate. Try it yourself and if you don't succeed then take it to someone to do for you
can you name any companys? i dont know any upholsterer's , suppose i should look on yell.co.uk

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I'll hopefully post a how to shortly. I'm in the process of recovering mine now and I'm in the final stage of gluing the cloth on.

Using stretchable cloth is a much simpler method than using non-stretch. My advice if you're using non-stretch is probably don't bother. It's taken me weeks to get mine prepared for glueing.

I reckon I could do headliners for people no problem but to be honest it'd be too much hassle for most of you as I'd have to post the thing which wouldn't be easy. The pillars are easy and can be done in 1-2 evenings.

Baz

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok cool thanks i cant wait to read your how to, what fabric did you go for them, i was thinking of going for suede but thats not strechable, looks amazing tho. you will have to get some pics up

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
no problem. I'll get the camera to the garage tonight and snap some pics up as I'm gluing.

Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am doing my headliner, removing it and replacing with cream for interior colour change, is the headliner glued on, can i take it off and put it back on easily or will i need to glue it back on, do you just pull it off even though its glued?

its a uk mk4 golf hatch by the way

cheers

simon

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
You mean you're replacing it for a stock cream one?

The headliner is held up by all the pieces of trim and pillars.

Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah, i have bought a set of full cream recaro leathers with carpet, trim, headliner , everything i need to convert my drab black cloth to cream leather, but when i collect it i need to take out the headliner myself, he told me it was glued on but from what i can see its just held on by trim and clips etc, no glue.

thanks

simon

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
yeah, i have bought a set of full cream recaro leathers with carpet, trim, headliner , everything i need to convert my drab black cloth to cream leather, but when i collect it i need to take out the headliner myself, he told me it was glued on but from what i can see its just held on by trim and clips etc, no glue.

thanks

simon
Cream recaros? didn't know they were made.

It's not glued anywhere. Still not the easiest swap in the world.

Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for your advice, i got my leathers today and they are pukka, 600quid for the lot, all door cards every bit of trim, seat belts armrest handbrake pillars parcel shelf carpet and the list goes on, the headliner had a sunroof though so would not fit mine which doesnt have it, i cant believe youv never seen the cream recaros, theyre probly the best original golf seats about.

hes got more 4motion bits if anyone needs.

cheers

simon

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah, hes in somerset tho which is quite far, its worth the trip tho, i left at 5am and got home at 3pm, but i was there for a good hour and a half getting the bits i wanted off.

the car was a 52 and was the 5door, the sunroof looked in very good condition.

if your interested ill give you his name and number and you can tell him simon gave it to you,

cheers

simon

1 - 20 of 31 Posts