Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car must love garages! Just two weeks after spending money on gearbox repair, new clutch & flywheel, mot & yes a years tax. The rear brakes decided to get stuck partly on leading to one of the pads wear thin in about a week.

So had new pads fitted and the caliper pin unseized, garage says it is caused by the bad winter and all the grit on the road.

What I want is to stop having to replace the pads every 12,000 miles, so how can I prevent the pins from sticking

Hopefully this will be the last bill for some time!, and looks like the alloy wheel refurbishment is a long way off now[cry], but at least I can average 50mpg and managed to get 62 mpg on motorway last weekend

·
Registered
345 Posts
No i've also had this issue in november but i change both rear calipers and carriers and it been was good as gold ever since. But my o/s handbrake cable was streched which was my n/s brake jammed on and got rather hot! and ruined the disc and pads.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i've also had this issue in november but i change both rear calipers and carriers and it been was good as gold ever since. But my o/s handbrake cable was streched which was my n/s brake jammed on and got rather hot! and ruined the disc and pads.
Thanks, how much were the callipers and carriers?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I had this problem but turned out to be knackered handbrake cable holding the caliper on even though handbrake was completely off, cost £8 for a new cable worth a check before changing the caliper

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had this problem but turned out to be knackered handbrake cable holding the caliper on even though handbrake was completely off, cost £8 for a new cable worth a check before changing the caliper
I would of presumed the garage would of checked for a stretched handbrake cable or would of realised that the caliper was stil not moving after cleaning it up etc. However how do I check for a faulty handbrake cable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
You can check the handbreak adjustment screw which is located under the ashtray in the centre console if the bracket is higher on one side its usually an indication that the cable has streched and requires replacing, or you can unhook the handbreak cable off the pivot arm on the rear caliper and try operating the lever yourself making sure you move it the same way the cable would move it. If its free and moving easy pretty safe bet the cable is knackered.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can check the handbreak adjustment screw which is located under the ashtray in the centre console if the bracket is higher on one side its usually an indication that the cable has streched and requires replacing, or you can unhook the handbreak cable off the pivot arm on the rear caliper and try operating the lever yourself making sure you move it the same way the cable would move it. If its free and moving easy pretty safe bet the cable is knackered.
Thanks will take a look at the adjustment screw bracket.

Car had been off road for two weeks whilst having other repairs done, don't know if that could of effected the rear brakes?

Also when I had vehicle back the handbrake would operate with little movement, wife has parked car on slopping drive and handbrake has come up a lot further and how it use to be.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Removed the rear ashtray insert but could not see any bracket, or do i have to dismantle more of the car to see the bracket?

Help.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Removed the rear ashtray insert but could not see any bracket, or do i have to dismantle more of the car to see the bracket?

Help.
Do you have the armrest in the centre console?, if you do you will have to remove it to get to it, otherwise if you dont you should have a small plastic tray in its place which can be lifted out to reveal the adjustment screw.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Help.
Do you have the armrest in the centre console?, if you do you will have to remove it to get to it, otherwise if you dont you should have a small plastic tray in its place which can be lifted out to reveal the adjustment screw.
Have an armrest so looks like a bit of dismantling is on the cards.

·
NooNoo
9,450 Posts
Back to preventing caliper seizing...

You can buy seal kits that include the slider gaitors IIRC. The gaitors get a bit perished/damaged and horrible in their old age and dirt/water gets to the slide pins.

I routinely use Ramonol grease on my slide pins, never had a stuck caliper.

[:)]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts