Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought since i was doing this i'd put a how to on

what you'll need: Flat Screwdriver, masking tape, Spray plastic primer, Spray colour of your choice i used plasti-kote (and laquer if metallic), kitchen roll, white spirit, wet and dry paper 400 800 and 1200, t-cut or polish, sharp knife.

most of the dash trim comes off pretty easy, slide the sides downwards, pull the bottom bit towards you,

the ashtray is a bit fiddley it needs kinda stretching the sides to remove it from its rails,

the heater control is easier to pull dwn from above the radio,

the drinks holder has a tag either side which if you hold in the whole unit comes out then remove two pins from under the panel and it comes off (DON'T LOSE ONE LIKE I JUST HAVE!)

Posted Image

i tried covering in silver crap from halfrauds but it's really sh!tty

the door handles come in two parts, slide a flat head screwdriver underneath the bottom and youll see there are two bit which you need to slide the screw driver between and then ease it off, it should pop off easily. The trim doesn't actually come apart so you'll have to mask up the handle.

part 2

you'll need to key all the panels now, theres no going back after this!

Posted Image

i used wet n dry 400 grit for keying it gives it a lovely smooth matt finish. make sure you key it completely as any shiny bits the paint wont stick to.

you'll need a plastic primer for this, i got a white one from Halfrauds so i could see where i'd missed.

once thery're all keyed up, you need to get rid of the dust, so rinse off or better put some white spirit on kitchen towel and clean it all till it looks like.

Posted Image

now you get to paint the first bits

Posted Image

carefull steady side to side then stop dont go back on yourself or you'll get drips, its best to take your time or you'll be doing it again, there's a few bits here that'll need sanding slightly as drips form quick.

3. get some 800 wet n dry, some water, lightly sand the pieces after an hour or so, so they are nice and dry, sand off any bits of dust that have landed on the paint and just give it a general smoothing then a second/third light coat of primer.

very lightly flat it down with the 800 grade again and wipe off the wet residue with kitchen roll

when you're satisfied with that get you colour I've gone for a piano black to go with my headunit and cos its different to silver.

Posted Image

next will need a few coats and a bit of wet sanding 800/1200 in between

then a good polish let it dry properly though

then put it back on

jobs a good'un.

will post finished pics soon

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
then put it back in, really pleased with the results still needs a polish but looks real smart,

Posted Image

Posted Image

yes I forgot the bottom bit, actually screwed it up so am repainting it (it fell over and got loads of dust in the paint!)

just got to put the door handles back on now

[:D]

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks really good - thanks posting the pics, has made my mind up, I'll definately have a go at this myself. Just got to choose the colour!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did this as well with some black trim I sourced, painted it a pewter colour which has turned out quite nice! Plastikote can I used as well, just 2 wee tester cans! A lot cheaper than R32 brushed trim, I couldnt afford it!

Andy

·
Registered
553 Posts
thanks for the how to M8

just what i was looking for, just to recap

2 coats of primer

2/3 coats of piano black plasti Kote ( is it labeled piano black)

and a polish ( not laq). is it resistant to marks and scratches

i.e will it still look nice and neat 12 months on

thanks again, all I need to do now is grow a pair and get it done

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can remove the black trim, it just involves taking the whole cage out and then painting it! Thats what I did, lots of fun taking the car apart then putting it back together!

·
Registered
868 Posts
pics don't work any pics of this finished preferably in gloss black!!

Would love to do this I hate wood trim why did vw put it there???

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
having trouble removing the side strips and the ashtray and the gear gaitor and nob !?

any ideas... some guides dont show the very details.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'll be doing this soon too - shame these pics dont work anymore (but it is over a year old lol). Would love net optic trim but it seems to be as rare as hens teeth!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts