Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering what i could do to minimise the amount of wheel spinning and loss of wheel contact with road when accelerating?

I have koni sport on the softest setting, but i find when accelerating hard even in second (had remap with 18's) the wheels seem to loose grip and steering lightens up

steering now also feels loose, in the respect that the road seems to dictate where the wheels and steering wheel goes!

could this be tracking or because the wheel size or even tyre pressure?

your ideas or resolution of similar issues would be appreciated

also, i love this VW s**t !

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the same issue, espescially since I got the remap. Never got tracking done, so I can't complain until I get that done I suppose [:S]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I run my Eagle F1's a few PSI lower than spec'd, 29psi adds loads more traction, also turning the ESP OFF helps, well in aTDI it does

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
true, i think my psi is too high on the fronts (32), but this helps the traction when turning right ? so i guess its getting the balance right there

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Dont know how the damping adjustment works on your shocks, is it just compression or rebound too......? You need to increase the rebound damping a bit if you can and increase compression damping a bit on the rear, (both is good, if only comp damping try increasing rear damping).

Also if you have adjustable spring palted on the back, (konis do I think) jack the rear up a tad, I know it does not look the best, but a fwd car should be nose down at rest, to keep weight over the front and help reduce understeer in the turns.

Also, what tyres are you running? The tyres that are put on in these buudget wheel packages are RUBBISH!! Not sure if you have them, but if you do, junk them and get some nice tyres, dont need to cost the earth, good deals on F1s and Toyos are about at present. Both good and aid traction etc. quieter than most Euro tyres too IMO.

To stop wheelspin do all you can to reduce the weight transfer off the front axle. You will find that rather than making the front plough on in turns, it normally does the opposite and helps the back skip round nicely!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
true, i think my psi is too high on the fronts (32), but this helps the traction when turning right ? so i guess its getting the balance right there
I'm running the same 32psi upfront too, with eagle f1's and koni sport suspension. I just put it down to the greasy roads this time of year. i'm having to slip the clutch a fair bit to get a half decent start! really dont wanna chew up my new tyres either!!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure what you suggest about the dampening, i can only adjust the harshness of the ride, as it stands the car does lean forward slight due the koni springs.

The tyres certainly arent top brand, from memory they are cooper avon (not great i guess)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Try a powerflex dogbone mount too, helps reduce engine shunting backwards on take off.

Find out from Koni if the shocks are adjustable for both compression, (down) and rebound (up) damping? Maybe the one adjuster does both.....? If it does, stiffen the fron to reduce the unloading of the front wheels a little. Rebound damping is what you should try increasing here, but dont go mad with it, one click can make a big difference and it may be you will change other handling characteristics.

TBH, you should not be on softest Koni settings IMO, dependant on springs, mine run above middle settings on the rear, and jsut slightlu below on the front. You may have the whole car too soft all round, meaning on take off the front rises up too much and the back squats down too much.....?

Cooper tyres.........hmmmm!! Made by a bloke who makes barrells and wears a fez!

Avon are far too hard compound too!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah sounds about right.

compound is a little hard and with regard i can only adjust general damping, there is no way to s elect. To adjust the rears i have to take them off, but i can adjust the front, tempted to stiffen them up a little,

but driving every day in london over humps, not sure how long i can live like that

in essence the setup is quite right (the problem when modding on a tight budget) !

thanks

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
No the adjuster will work EITHER Compression or REBOUND usually. Fully adjustable race shocks have two adjusters one for each.

Got a feeling your adjuster will only do compression.........? So stiffent the rear up a bit. You can jack the rear spring plate when you do it too, as they neeed to be off the car.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill give it a go, but im not gona take off my springs without help... the koni arent easy to adjust either... !

oh well

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm one of the tuning lurkers who likes to read about engine mods rather than doing them but I have recently changed from some Vietnamese Hong Kong Phooey tyrs on my Santa'a to Pirelli P Zero's on my BBS RC's.

This has had an incredible effect on the cars handling and traction both of the line and especially pressing on in long corners.

If you read your question and think about what actually grips the road then for me its a cheap mod.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
true, i didnt think tyres could make such a difference, i just assumed it was my setup...suspensio, wheel size and more power than normal....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
true, i didnt think tyres could make such a difference, i just assumed it was my setup...suspensio, wheel size and more power than normal....
i dunno that its just down to your tyres, as i have a very similar setup to you and i have the soft compond eagle f1's and getting the same problem! some good suggestions above though!

let us know how u get on

·
Registered
442 Posts
This thresd has helped me out no end !! Got a revo'd pd130 with standard suspension and hong kong fooey rock hard tyres.... bad combination.

I spin in almost every gear and accelerate like an old woman in this weather.... however I am having the koni sport kit fitted soon and was just going to set them up soft all round for comfort.... Think I'm going to set the rears up a bit stiffer now. Getting it done at Awsome so I'l let the experts choose the settings to comfortable but sporty... se how it ends up but I bet it will be a siht load better than it is at the moment!

Next on the shopping list is the Eagle F1's on the front... the ones on the back will do I think. I dont plan on firing into sharp bends in the wet in any case.

Cheers for the info guys...

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have to admit its not terrible the grip, but i find it hard to put the power down in 1st gear...and to be honest thats where i want all the power, cos from there...its just wooooosh... to 100mph !

then again, in london.. i find myself racing till a set of lights every 50 metres

( a bit like that scene in meet the parents)

sk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts