Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just finished washing the car, and try as I might, I just can't seem to lift those little marks on my bonnet, that I'm pretty sure are dead bugs that have crashed into the car.

I'm currently using Megs Gold Class shampoo, which gives the car a nice clean, but just doesn't get rid of the dead bugs.

Any suggestions as to what I should do/use ?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, a claybar I hear you say, I've read alittle bit on them but don't know too much.

So, more questions.

What brand/name of product do I get ?

Where can I get it ?

I use it before or after a shampoo my car ?

What type of cloth do I use to remove it (that is, I'm presuming you do remove it with a cloth) ?

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
You can pick up one of the Meguires claybars at Halfords. They are quite soft IMO and maybe a harder one would be better like the 3M ones. If you can't get hold of a claybar, give them a try with some polish or a small amount of T-Cut.

Failing all that, get some pics up and then some of the chaps can take a look.

·
Registered
412 Posts
claybar will get rid of them... I use the megs one, you use it after washing and I use a terry towel to wipe off (instructions come with it)

or you could use bug & tar remover ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
You can use a Claybar, but remember to re-wax afterwards.

IMHO Megs one is too soft, and now the weather is getting warmer it will be harder to use easily as it takes on the consitancy of soft putty!

I do a Clay bar, as do various other people as well. Don't bother with lube either, as you can mix up your own using some shampoo.

Don't use a sponge on the car, but use a wash cloth, then you will get the bug bits off but just rubbing a little bit harder.

John.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I use a sponge I got from Halfords, says its for Bug and Tar removal. For quick washes that you don't want to claybar and wax your car everytime. The sponge is covered with netting, and it gets rid of bugs and most tar spots no bother.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I got that sponge as well! but the netting came off[:(] but now I use a wash mitt. It is very good but then becuse the car is waxed alot the bugs do come off quite easy.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Truck wash, mixed 20/80% with water, not too strong, but strong enough, & then jet wash the little shits off [:)]

·
Registered
120 Posts
watch when using a pressure washer. If you have any stonechips the
pressure washer can lift the lacquer of the car and it will look like
sh**. I would only use a small pressure washer for rinsing the
car. As for the bug remover sponges, it states on the pack NOT FOR USE
ON PAINTWORK. They are designed for glass only. Again if you have a
stonechip the rough surface of the sponge will lift the laquer where it
is split

·
Registered
340 Posts
the best one i have used is Turtle wax BUG and TAR remover spray on leave 30 secs and they just wipe off, Dowbn side if you get it on the black platics it leaves them horrid marks

·
Registered
84 Posts
My best mate uses autoglym interior shaampoo on them spray a little on the sponge and wipe them and off they come! never done it myself but have watched him do it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you must use a sponge ([:'(]) get one of the ones from Halfords with the fabric mesh on the back, think they are grey and te fabric is dark grey. I have found that these are very doog for removing bug spatter in the past. Try to avoid chemicals if you can as you will have to rewax afterwards.

when you are waxing the car, put two coats on the front of the bonnet and the front bumper/airdam area, then it will be much easier to remove the bugs when you wash the car, or just mist over the desired area with a water spray and wipe off with a cotton towel.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Someone posted a tip on here a while back, (JohnW tell me if its a bad idea!)

Wet the car with shampoo and lay out newspapers on the bonnet. Soak with water and leave. Remove and the flies are all softened. Wipe off with the Halfords mesh sponge.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If i do experience any bugs, i use the back of my Meguiars Lambs wool wash mitt, which has a net type non-abrasive bug remover on it.

Posted Image

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wet the car with shampoo and lay out newspapers on the bonnet. Soak with water and leave. Remove and the flies are all softened. Wipe off with the Halfords mesh sponge.
must admit that I haven't heard of this method before, and I would be worried that if the paper dired out then ther could be a nice mess from that.

The trick here is really to soak the bugs to bet them moist ([8-|]) again. Then the little blighters will wash off more easily.

as I said above, if the front of the car is waxed well, then should come off quite easily.

When the weater is hot, just was the front of the car more frequently to avoid having the bugs baked on, especially with a dark coloured car.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i like the MEGS BUG AND TAR remover........

no rubbing or scrubbing......just squirt a bit on, GENTLY massage it on, then wipe away with your faithful megs brying towel, or anotehr SOFT cloth..... [;)]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
As indicated with the newspaper you need to soak the little buggers. I usually sponge them leave them for 5 mins then try to remove them. They will never come off first go and rubbing them trying will just wreck the paint.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If i do experience any bugs, i use the back of my Meguiars Lambs wool wash mitt, which has a net type non-abrasive bug remover on it.

Posted Image
I second that, a great way to get the bugs off quickly and easily. Just directly apply some shampoo to the netting side for some extra lubrication minimising the risk of scratching!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts