Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time again.

I last did this last September and now the stonechips are getting on my wick.

So I'll attempt provide a how-to, even if it goes horribly wrong.

These are my front end panels before I start. I've got a spare set, bonnet and front bumper. I've just swapped the bonnets over so the pic of the bonnet on the car is my spare pattern one which I'm going to simply swap back over for the original VW one which is on the trestles. The bumper on the ground is the one which I will paint and fit to the car, the one on the car I shall dump as it's cracked (woops) and I'll have to obtain another spare before I do this again.

Posted Image

These photos are not so good but you can make out the stonechips.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is the stuff I'll use. I got a half litre of cellulose mixed up on Saturday, the polishing compounds I already had, the only things missing from the pictures are the compressors, gun and rotary polisher.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope to get the bonnet and bumper painted and polished for fitting next weekend.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Tag team Golf front end... I like that [:D][Y]

Good luck with the respray, that takes some balls, I wouldn't even dream of attempting it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
he doesn't need luck he's done it before

ct.p, my work is grinding to a halt because i'm going to be selling my car. so i have a brand new hot air plastic welding gun that i don't need (doh!). also i always thought i could use the tools and techniques on my next car but its gonna have fibreglass panels so no plastic welding needed

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done some work.

Stripped it back to bare metal. Used auto-paint striper, it's much easier than sanding. Also last time I did this some people mentioned that I should have preserved VW's special coating that prevents rust etc. Last time it was far to gone. The bonnet has been on the car since Sept 05 from the last respary and apart from 500 to 600 miles a weeks worth of stone chips, it's been fine.

Posted Image

Panel wipe is vital, if in doubt, panel wipe it. Any wax or silicone in the paint will destroy the finish, like oil on water when the paint is wet. This stuff gets rid of it. Also good if you want to de-wax.

Posted Image

Forgot I still had half of a 5 litre tin of primer ! So I decanted some into a measuring cup through a filter to remove any bits that might be present. Also I like to thin down the primer a little. It might be wrong or against the rules but I find it easier and hate rules anyway.

Posted Image

This is where I'm doing the work, nothing more than a domestic garage. Note the pit those of you who threatening to pop over !

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
OMG bare metal I can't look! [:O][:S]

Is that a chest freezer with ice lollies inside to keep you cool while you work in the summer heat? Calls for a mini meet I think... I'll bring the sausages and disposable barbie [Y]

Slightly OT here Colin but do you reckon if Barry Gibb had a Golf TDI it'd be a Bee-Gee Tee-Dee Pee-Dee?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's bare matal no more, got in primer and even managed to flat the primer ready for the colour coat last night.

·
Registered
45 Posts
fair play!!! i wouldn't have the guts to do what your doing!!!!!!

Can that paint stripper be used on an anni valance, I'm in the process of taking the old paint off but its a bugger to get off using wet and dry. Will it eat the plastic??

cheers,

andy

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Nice job! Looking forward to seeing the final pictures, as I might be attempting this myself soon! Do you not find you end up with imperfections like dust in the paint due to spraying with the garage door open? What grade do you rub it down to between which coats?

Thanks, Andy [:)]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you can see from the dates of my posts here, there is a GAP !

That's because I messed it up big time, got pee'd off, and it's sat in the garage, I've been away on holiday etc.

However this week I've re-flatted it, more primer, re-flatted, colour coated..... all good

then...

Laquered it, all going good until a few flies and sundry bits of poo decided to land on it !

Gutted again

Tonight though, i'll flat it and machine polish it to see if it's going to be ok. If not i'll do it again, probably in another month !

As for flatting,

primer - 800 and then 1200 grit

colour coat (base) - No flatting whatsoever

laquer - 800 / 1200 / 1500 grit paper then G6 G3 and G10 cutting paste on machine polisher....

PS Garage door opened to release fumes only, which I think is / has been my downfall !!

Hoping Shiuming is going to pop over this Friday eve (hint / hint) if it's ready and I'm happy with it for fitting up....

That is if I don't ruin it all machine polishing it !

All I can say is that doing this DIY is lke playing an old 80's platform game where you have to get the timing and sequence 100% all the way through with NO margin for error otherwise you die and have to start at the beginning. If you don't get each stage 100%, you waste paint (££'s) and have to start at the beginning. The machine polishing bit is like a really hard end of level Boss baddy, where it's super tough to do it but the satisfaction when you eventually do do it makes it all worth it... hope you understand.

I shall be revving up the polisher tonight, watch this space for either;

Elation if I get it right and beat the boss

or

Doom and Gloom where i'll be online rubbishing 4 motions or something equally silly and balshy.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ok, thanks for info! And good luck with that final boss [;)]

Oh yeah before I forget... Where do you get your paints from, and how do you find the colour matches?

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres a few piccies of the bumper in bits and the bonnet re-flatted before the 2nd spraying attempt.

Also just done a further flat on the laquer and a quick whiz over with the polisher and some G6, it's not 100% as I'd like it but as Old Farmer Hogget once said, "That'll do pig"

Right I'm off to get the kids to bed and I'll slave over the polisher some more.

Hope to get some more piccies up later.

Tiz not all doom and gloom......yet.

Posted Image

Above, a bit more filler as well, there was a mahoosive stone / boulder chip I wasn't happy with

Posted Image

Above, the bumper split and flat, wet with clear plastic primer which is vital on plastic otherwise the paint either reacts with the plastic and / or won't stick.

Posted Image

Above, bumper ready for proper priming.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorted, not entirely happy as there are some blemishes in the paint, certainly more than I got last time I did this but I've got a way better depth of shine, which to be honest will probably look odd on the car as it's shinier than the factory paint.

Anyway, I'm pleased and here is a BIG pic, bask in that reflection !

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Job done now.

I'd say I'm 95% happy with the finished panels which is better than the 0% with all the stonechips. I can live with it at 95% as within a few weeks it'll be chipped again and if I'd spent £££'s at a body shop I'd be crying. This way, I'll have a smug smile and I'll be thinking, "I did that."

Just got them fitted up on the car and they are dirty, maybe more pics to follow when I've cleaned it up a bit and put some hand glaze on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
254 Posts
why not use 2k lacquer ? better finish and much harder also add 10% elaticiser to the paint and it wont chip as easy

just a thought

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
very old post, but!
I've been told that with newer paints now-a-days, you need to 'Bake' the paint dry.

Do you have to do this? Or can you just let it set on its own? My Golf needs the bonnet, wings, bumber and door tops doing, preferably before it sales so i can make more money lol. but i cant really afford the ???'s to be able to get it all done.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
very old post, but!
I've been told that with newer paints now-a-days, you need to 'Bake' the paint dry.

Do you have to do this? Or can you just let it set on its own? My Golf needs the bonnet, wings, bumber and door tops doing, preferably before it sales so i can make more money lol. but i cant really afford the ???'s to be able to get it all done.
I imagine what you spend repainting will be about as much as you get extra for it being mint so not much benefit ?? wise but speed of sale yes

·
Registered
254 Posts
if you go have the car painted at a booth then they usually bake the car but in this weather in a home garage it will bake it for you or you can buy a couple of infrared patio heaters (1000watt) and use those

also if you use 2 pack paint or lacquer you can get different speed activators for it so that the top coat drys faster or slower depending on conditions ur in

just in middle of painting a golf v5 for my brother and weather today has been great for painting

1 - 20 of 32 Posts