Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.I would like to ask a question about my issue.my car is a 2003 golf mk4.
-I had a problem about my front wiper motor.sometimes it slowed down on parking and 1. Level.and when I try to turn it to 2. The fastest speed, it blew the fuse.probably it had a short circuit.so I wanted to replace it.

-then I bought a new motor febi branded.but i had another problem this time.for 1. 2. Levels it worked continously without any issues.but when I try to turn it to parking position it was going crazy.the timeline between wiping cycles were not stable.sometimes it wipes twice repeatedly.and its timeline switch was unstable too.sometimes it stopped sometimes worked continously like higher levels.so I thought the motor had a production error and I gave it to the parts store and got a new one by febi brand again.but i face the same problem.continuous levels are okay and they work good.but once I try to use parking position it goes crazy again.timings are not stable and it works continously sometimes.

So this is the problem.because I get two new motor and the issue occurres I think the problem must not be about the motor right?when the wiper is off and I want to wipe the windscreen just once I push down the arm once, I hear clicking sound from the relay but sometimes wipers don't move or when they move they wipe twice again instead of just one wiping.

So is there anybody who faced the same issue like me?might the problem be about 377 relay?or is there another reason about it?so do you have any ideas where I should try to inspect to find the reason?sorry for my poor English since it is not my native language and thank you for your helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
One common cause of speed issues is the lever system/linkage/rack between the motor and wiper arms. Poor/old lubrication of the rotating parts leads to high friction and strain on the motor. This would be my first issue to sort if I couldn't scan for fault codes. Motors are reliable. Next, you need to scan the CCU for codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One common cause of speed issues is the lever system/linkage/rack between the motor and wiper arms. Poor/old lubrication of the rotating parts leads to high friction and strain on the motor. This would be my first issue to sort if I couldn't scan for fault codes. Motors are reliable. Next, you need to scan the CCU for codes.
Thank you very much for your response.actually I don't have any speed problems now.once I removed the wiper mechanism to remove the motor, I seperated all arms and moving parts and cleaned them then greased.when I check them by my hands they seem really good and free to move.and continious levels work good so when I turn on wiper speed seems really good like a new car.but my problem occurs either when I try to use intermittent level or just one wipe by pushing the arm down.for intermittent level timings are Random.sometimes they work continiously sometimes they wipe twice then stop.and when I push the arm down to wipe just once, I hear relay clicking (sometimes twice repediately) but sometimes it wipes twice instead of one cycle, sometimes it doesn't move.

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
replace the relay with a new one, if that doesn't solve it than you might want to replace the wiper stalk... ( could always clean it first, splitting it and clean the internal contacts with an electrical cleaner, but it is far easier to just replace it)

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,550 Posts
Did you install the wipers in the parked position? If the motor isn't parked and you install the wipers it does what you have. Worth taking the wipers off, cycling the motor on intermittent and stopping. Once stopped, re-install blades.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
replace the relay with a new one, if that doesn't solve it than you might want to replace the wiper stalk... ( could always clean it first, splitting it and clean the internal contacts with an electrical cleaner, but it is far easier to just replace it)
Thanks.I am not sure if the problem is about the stalk but a last change i try to change it.When i remove it i separated all moving parts and cleaned them then greased.And when i try by my hands they move freely.

Did you install the wipers in the parked position? If the motor isn't parked and you install the wipers it does what you have. Worth taking the wipers off, cycling the motor on intermittent and stopping. Once stopped, re-install blades.
Yes i have Elsawin on my pc and i followed service guide.So before i install the connection between the motor and the stalk i made the motor work for a few times and after it stops i connected the stalk connection.

Let me ask another question.Before i go to the mechanic i am gonna try to check all cables and earth points from the wiper switch to the motor.I need a bit to remove the steering wheel so i ordered one and waiting for it.

So here is the question,
Is there anybody who knows the working mechanism of intermittent wiping system?As you know we use a small switch on the main wiper switch to adjust wiping intervals.So when we adjust, does the wiper swtich send any pulses ot something to the relay to adjust the interval?Or if it sends constant current, does the relay get constant current and adjust the intervals of the wiping by sending current intermittent?By that way i can get if the switch or the relay sends the current right or not.The interested thing is i did not throw the old motor out and when i try to connect it the intervals are normal.But since i got two new febi motors i also do not think that both new motors have any problem.But i can not make sure.Thanks.

EDIT: By the way i am not sure but i thing i tried the new motor by connecting the wiring before i mounted it to the stalk, it was free but the same interval problem occured.So when i connect old motor it works alright but the new one not.That's why i thought the stalk would have not been a problem.

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
Did you change the relay (377 if i am correct) as I said before? If you haven't done that in your fault finding than you are wasting your time...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you change the relay (377 if i am correct) as I said before? If you haven't done that in your fault finding than you are wasting your time...
Nope, not yet.I am waiting for the bit to remove steering wheel.Once i remove the switch i am gonna check all system.Wiring, connectors etc.Then if i can not find any error i am gonna try to change the relay 377.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts