Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250764848204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

There are two sellers, this is the one i've bought from but have yet to install.

@iamryan the diameter of the pipes are on the instructions.

Is anyone finding that they need a cold air intake pipe to make a difference so that its nearer the front of the car?
Yeh but I Dont wanna order it then have to wait to order more doses as that would drive me nuts haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is this because the pipe extends the amount of time it takes to get into the engine?

I'm now wondering about water in the engine, and how likely it is to damage the engine if it were to get anywhere near the intake filter? Depending on where I put it btw.

I bought mine from the link above, it came with the following instructions that might help someone.

IMG_0562.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've now installed mine and modified it it a bit so it looks nicer and so i can put on the engine bay easily.

Started off with this:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Heres the oil breather pipe bit that just pops on the end of the hose that pulls out from the left of the engine cover, just tie it back onto something that's cold.

image.jpg

More images from diff angles:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I then bought a 500mm 60mm outside diameter pipe that i cut 100mm off the end of, plus a 45 degree angle 60mm inside diameter silicone tube and some more 60-80mm jubilee clips to hold it all together.

A bracket came with my kit from piper cross that i could put a clip through which i attached some meccano to to attach to the car screw hole on the right wheel suspension dome inside the bonnet as pictured below. This was just to stop it knocking about in the engine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I then painted some other parts of my engine red to match with VW Mars Red spray paint and cut a hole in the engine cover diagonally so that 3 of the 4 feet remained on the cover to keep it down, which is enough to stop it wabberling.

The battery has been moved over to its furthest left position so the filter has plenty of room to breath from the air coming infrom the front of the car.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
Is this because the pipe extends the amount of time it takes to get into the engine?

I'm now wondering about water in the engine, and how likely it is to damage the engine if it were to get anywhere near the intake filter? Depending on where I put it btw.
No because of heat soak,it picks up hot air from the engine bay which gives less power than the stock induction system.I worked on one of these engines today and the standard cold air feed from that bit with square holes in it between the bonnet catch and headlight will have nice high pressure COLD air forced into it all the time you're driving at any sort of speed.This is a sort of ram air effect which is beneficial to normally aspirated engines,where you have the filter now you will get all the disadvantages with none of the advantages.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hey random question when it comes to kits like this for the 1.6, is it really just as simple as removing the cover, cutting a curve/square chunk out of the top right hand side of the cover and fitting the induction pipe work? looks like a very simple mod to do, I take it as well that since with the induction kit it comes with the cone that then is acting as the air filter, so you could do away with the standard filter that's hidden inside the cover, also a random thing about the breather pipe the one (from THEEnand's pics again) that has the round fuzz thing on it, is that the pipe that was connected to the engine cover as looking at pics on here I cant see if were that little pipe goes from/to, also with the induction kit fitted is the sound difference very noticable?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have the BCB engine also and I don't understand the purpose of this mod. Because:

1- if you look at the OPs photos, the stock filter has much much larger surface area and it will allow more air to get inside and easier!

2- The stock air intake opening is in front of the car where comes in cold air, therefore should be more efficient to intake air from there.

3- The engine cover also able to take air from the exhaust area when the engine is cold, allowing better fuel atomisation in cold engine and faster warm up and fuel savings.

4- The stock filter is inside the engine cover and this adds sound isolation for air flow noises etc. will make your ride more silent.

5- I am not sure about what to think of the oil breather having a sponge. Probably will not provide as clean air as the much denser air filter.

Can anybody clarify what are the benefits to this mod?

·
Registered
73 Posts
One reason to do this (other than noise) is that the cold start sensor in the engine cover eventually fails, dumping hot air from the exhaust manifold into the intake. Solution is a replacement engine cover because VW don't sell the sensor separately. If you flip the engine cover over and look in the pipe at the front you'll see a white rectangular flap. It should close when the ambient temp is over 23C. Lower than that and it's open to direct hot air from the manifold to the TB and help the car warm up quicker. Better for emissions, better starting on a cold morning, but not great on a hot day when it should be closed. Plenty of used engine covers on eBay for less than the price of an induction kit, but if you want an OEM one it'll set you back around £150. Alternative is to block that central intake above the manifold with a heat-resistant plastic bung.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
One reason to do this (other than noise) is that the cold start sensor in the engine cover eventually fails, dumping hot air from the exhaust manifold into the intake. Solution is a replacement engine cover because VW don't sell the sensor separately. If you flip the engine cover over and look in the pipe at the front you'll see a white rectangular flap. It should close when the ambient temp is over 23C. Lower than that and it's open to direct hot air from the manifold to the TB and help the car warm up quicker. Better for emissions, better starting on a cold morning, but not great on a hot day when it should be closed. Plenty of used engine covers on eBay for less than the price of an induction kit, but if you want an OEM one it'll set you back around £150. Alternative is to block that central intake above the manifold with a heat-resistant plastic bung.
The sensor is just a thermostat that operates a plastic flap. I disconnected the arm from the stat and sealed the flap in the closed position with some RTV, worked a treat and mostly resolved my pinking.

It shouldn't affect starting from cold, since the exhaust will be cold anyway, but maybe if you only drive a short distance and restart in the cold. Definitely will make some sort of difference for emissions and warming the car up quicker, although I had no noticeable difference in warm-up times after sealing it shut.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts