Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks i've never made a walk though or guide before so go easy on me

I see most people take the engine cover off and leave it off when fitting an induction kit to the 1.6 2002-04 engine, or hack the sh*t out of the cover and leave it looking sorry for it'self...

Well thanks to the Legend that is Adam (TimePillow) getting my a picture of the underside of the engine cover late last night i was able to spawn a way of having a beasty induction kit and still keep the beauty of the 1.6 engine cover.

I bought an R Power induction kit for my car, was £50 from the bay, and i wasnt sure how good it was going to be, and when i got it i was stunned at how nice it looked and well built it felt.
This is a quick assembly when i unboxed it

and my trial fit and the engine cover on

Okay

First thing i did was take the engine cover off, which just pulls off with some force, next i flipped it over and took off the air filter which is a series of about 7/8 screws that pull out and was left with this.

Next i cut (Yes cut. #YOLO #SWAG)
The right side off where the blue grommet is and was left with this

So after doing this i realised there was no going back so fingers crossed

I then drew a curved line on the engine cover which i would have to cut to miss the silicone pipe, i found this unavoidable but if you draw a nice curve and file it after it doesnt look bad.

Once cut i finished up with a nice smooth curve cut out

I then used the jubilee clips to screw the parts of the induction kit together. i also thought it would be a good idea to stab myself with the screwdriver for good measure

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I put the newly cut underside of the engine cover back onto the 'lid' of the it and screwed the 4/5 screws left in as you lose 4 sawing off the air box
Once done i put the engine cover back on and secured the induction kit to the throttle body [Y]

In all fairness i think it looks good under the hood
I also added the oil breather pipe and secured it so there would be no rubbing

Doing it the way i have is a good way of keeping the rubber holes that fit onto the pegs on the engine so you can keep the cover
If you think that it looks like a hack job then is a simple price to pay for the Roar of the engine and Exhaust, i can't explain how fantastic it sounds, its like a race car!

I myself, i have cold air feeder pipe on its way and will be fitting that when it arrives, but atm, it's fine without one, no problems with the car or emissions light [Y]

Hope this helps someone who is thinking of doing this to their 1.6, the power difference isnt that noticeable in the lower range of rev's but once its past 3.5k it seems to reach 6k so much faster and it just sounds great when you hear the valve opening and it sucking the air in.

Ciao

·
Registered
67 Posts
also whats the dia for the oil breather pipe as will probs follow suit and get that done too. if you know it that is? cheapy one off the bay will do for oil breather surely :)

p.s. just looked at your build thread, oooooooh lovely gt sport!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi will be doing this at the weekend :) was just wondering, is the oil breather pipe the pipe you need to pull off the top left of the cover? If so does the breather filter just go on there? Also cheers for this DIY, good job!!

·
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't actually remember. If you google it you might find where I is,but the breather filter does go on the end of the pipe you are looking for

post some pics when you've done! It's always nice to see what people do

·
Registered
22 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts