Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wizard.
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im lowering on coilys and colour-coding the valances and want to add some nice subtle side-skirts to keep the ground clearance round the whole car flowing.

was looking at these sideskirts as ive had some bits from this site before and the fit has always been perfect:

http://www.body-kit.co.uk/product.php/6498/2662/vw-golf-4-bora-4-5dr-rgm-rs-style-side-skirts-abs

ive fitted a boot spoiler on my car in the past- for that I drilled 4 holes through the spoiler into the boot lid, put a load of sikaflex onto the roughed-up contact surfaces and screwed it all in place, with the sikaflex sealing the joint perfectly as well as adding extra adhesion. filled the screw holes with p38, sanded smooth and flat and resprayed the spoiler ends with it on the car to cover the filled screw points.

Now for these side-skirts, they have a very large contact area i.e. the length of the body sill, wheel to wheel.

so im thinking do i really need to bother drilling and screwing and respraying or should i be ok with just preparing the surfaces properly and using some good strong sikaflex adhesive?

advice from people who have done their own side-skirts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Arron

·
Registered
146 Posts
i havnt done my own but im thinking about adding the same thing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310216902101&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT i wonder if they come with mounts on the back for body clips? probably have to bond it on, also im prety sure theres skrews that pass through the arch liner into the end of each skirt still needs attaching in the middle though, iv never used of sikaflex, is it like silicone sealant but stronger? basicaly can you ever remove it if need be? cheers...

·
Wizard.
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sikaflex comes in lots of different grades, some are just sealants, some are specifically for bodywork adhesive, i think 255H was the one i used last time, H for heavy duty, but ones with higher numbers such as 291 are also good im told. Just looked into Tigerseal, sounds like scary stuff!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sikaflex comes in lots of different grades, some are just sealants, some are specifically for bodywork adhesive, i think 255H was the one i used last time, H for heavy duty, but ones with higher numbers such as 291 are also good im told. Just looked into Tigerseal, sounds like scary stuff!!
nice 1,yea just had a butchers at tigerseal to, sounds like grip fill.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I used Sikaflex for mine and also screwed them in at each end - stops anyone from simply pulling them off the car without breaking them first, as you can't remove them with the wheels on. [Y]

Wigster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts