Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[help]

yet another noooobie Q , i just hope you all are patient and understanding .

how to tell if my golf has got alarm fitted to it? its a 1.6 16v SE petrol , 2001 (x reg)

thanks to all those who can point me in the right direction in advance [Y]

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
Lock yourself in the car and move about. I did this when i had mine and my neighbours must have thought i was mad. [:D]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uhh!! i locked the car with one of the windows open and waved my hand inside the car but nothing happened .. so i am not sure if its got one .. any other clues like sensors and stuff ??? or could it be a blown fuse ??

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
When you lock it did you press the lock button once or twice?

Theres usually a button inside the car you can press to turn the sensors off so that might be s elected.

·
Registered
656 Posts
uhh!! i locked the car with one of the windows open and waved my hand inside the car but nothing happened .. so i am not sure if its got one .. any other clues like sensors and stuff ??? or could it be a blown fuse ??
How long did you wait?

It takes about 30 secs (ish) for the alarm to arm. The way I tested (following the alarm on my last car being disabled by the dealer without my knowledge [:mad:] ended up with an insurance claim for £1k of sound system) was to open the window, lock the car, and then the alarm went off on it's own after 30-40secs, I assume due to the wind.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
park it next to a car pumping out loud tunes, sets mine off everytime [:mad:]

as has been said, check to see if the button is at the bottom of the B pillar

you need to wait 1 minute if you try the leaving the window open method. also try actualy climbing in as mines crap for that, hardly goes off if i just lean in

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has it got the "pet" button to the right rear of the drivers seat, if so you got yourself an alarm :)
yea i do have a button (with a pic of car showing some waves coming from roof) at the bottom of B pillar on drivers side.

So does that mean it does hav an alarm but if it does its not working .. or perhaps it just me being a noob and past couple of weeks aint been the best ones for me [:^)]

p.s when i pressed and held the pet button the hazrd lights started flashing but no sounds at all !! wondered if its an easy fix to get the alarm sound working ??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pressed and held the pet button ... the hazard lights started flashing but no sounds [:mad:]

is it an easy fix to get the sound working ?? what could be the cause of no alarm sound situation?

·
Registered
203 Posts
It mean's it has an alarm yep, if your alarm definatly isn't working, you just need to put your keys in the igntion (so there's power like) and then press the button, take keys out, lock up and should be on?

I think this is what I did...

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
Don't know about holding the pet button until the hazards flash, you just need to press it once before locking up and it disables the interior sensors (which are in the rear courtesy lights.

To test, either lock yourself in with the remote and move about after 30 seconds or

after locking and waiting 30 seconds open the passenger door with the key or if you don't have a lock on the passenger side open the drivers door with the key and then don't put the key in the ignition for a bit.

If you have no alarm sound I would get it checked with VCDS to make sure it hasn't been disabled first.

I think the fuse itself is on the relay plate, although I'm not 100%

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@mattytdi yes i did the passenger door method and the hazards lights came on .. as it would do when the security alarm goes off but without any sound.

now the issue is -- is it something to do with physical connection like wires and fuses or something to do with software stuff ??

i live in one of God's Waiting room area so its pretty safe down here although i would like to have the sound back on just in case .. i do leave lots of my bits in the car ..

@mattytdi , nikijh , Dancey , tolucophoto , tsl wales and others who been absolutely great and patient with my noobie queries .. i am loving this forum more than the forums i been on with my prev other make cars.

hopefully i will get to know my bearings and someday perhaps know enough to help others who could be noobs like i am now

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@chris yes it does have two little tabbie things on either sides of both rear lights located above B pillars and it also have pet button at the bottom of the b pillar on drivers side .

and when testing the alarm presense the hazaards does go blinkidy blink but no sound .. so the presense of alarm is verified but the absense of sound is whats bugging me ...

wonder if u guys got any ideas for the sound fix

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
not all of them beep when you lock them. It can be added with vagcom. Lock/unlock beep.

Why not lock the car, leave window open and wave your hand through the window after a minute or two?

If that doesnt work, then is sounds like something is wrong with your alarm siren, sensors or control module.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alarm siren , sensor or control module .. i will try and dig up some info on testing them to see if they are working .

i have seen this VAGCOM come up in loads of posts .. pardon my noobish ness

is it a diagonistics thing ?? or is it a program ??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts