Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have created this PDF, from information I got from the dealer and my own experience, for anyone who wants to convert their xenons for driving on the continent.

[link=http://www.thewindinglane.co.uk/images/pdf/xenon.pdf]Converting Bi-Xenon on MKV Golf[/link]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Super! Do you have the info for how to adjust the height? I know it is auto height adjustment, it was too high when I got the car, took it to the dealer, now the distance is only as short as a normal light!

How do we measure and adjust the light, to make it reach the longest distance, but do not blind the driver in front?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mikemod,

Is there a switch in both units? I found one on the passenger side unit but not found one on the drivers side unit.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is on both sides. It is on the outside of each unit nearest the wings. I remember I did find it difficult to reach one of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. Finally found it and it wasn't where iI thought it would be. This may help others - Looking fowards, the switch location on the passenger side unit is on the inside nearest the wing and on thedriver's side, it's on the inside nearest the engine, not the wing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats strange, both mine are on the outside of the unit nearest the wing, maybe they have changed the units, is yours a 2006 spec car?

Just checked my mates car and his is the same as mine, both on the side nearest the wing, looks like you have an odd one out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi

I found the lever but i got confused, in the pdf it says the lever should be up for left hand drive traffic and down for right hand drive traffic. When i checked my passenger side lever it was down but the driver's side was up. Can you clarify if left hand drive traffic means that the steering wheel is in the left or if you drive on the left hand side of the road and that right hand drive traffic means the steering wheel is in the right or if you drive on the right hand side of the road. Plus can you tell me what position your lever is at.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Nick,

I took it that left hand drive traffic meant the steering wheel was on the left.
Both my levers were down, I put them up when I was in France.

I must try it against a white wall to see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pity I only found this thread after being charged ?130 to switch the lever! VW claim that you need to remove the headlights to do the mod, which means bumper removal which means an hour and a half of workshop time. As I was driving to Tignes that afternoon (1,500 miles round trip) I wasn't in a position to argue about how ridiculous ?130 was to legally drive on the continent (and, in theory, another ?130 to return the lights to UK spec).

After catching sight of the VW instructions for the job (as in your PDF) I decided to reverse the operation myself by feeling for the lever inside the headlight; on my '05 car both levers are wing-side of the light.

One hint: it's much easier if you remove the Xenon power unit. It's got "open/close" written on it, you rotate it in "open" direction and the supply wires will disconnect themselves as you rotate - this is a safety feature so that you can't expose the bulb contacts on the power unit with the power attached. With this removed it's easier to reach the levers. When you've flicked the lever, you reattach the power unit, rotating it in the "close" direction, then fit the supply cable again; this only fits in one way and although you're fitting it pretty much blind, isn't hard to do.

The whole operation took me no more than a minute per side, which is a damn sight better than going to the dealer!

Thanks for the post - most useful to see the actual diagram. My dealer wouldn't let me take a copy of his sheet...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would tell VW HQ about this, you have blatently been lied to by your Dealer.  They have falsely robbed you.  Demand your money back. 

·
Registered
3 Posts
My thoughts exactly, and I have a letter of complaint ready to go!

What made it even worse is that I had to go to the dealer *3 times* to get it sorted. I booked it weeks in advance and when I arrived they couldn't find out how to do the mod as they'd not done one before & sent me home until they'd had a reply from VW. They called me back at the end of the day & asked me to come in, then told me they didn't have time to do it *after* I'd fought my way through rush hour traffic for 30 minutes.

The next day, about 2 hours before I had to leave to get my eurotunnel crossing, they got the job done and lightened my wallet considerably. It's bad design that the control is so hard to adjust (I hear that Passats have a lever adjustable from the outside of the housing), but unforgivable for a big VW dealer to (a) not know how to do this and (b) charge me as much as my eurotunnel return trip for one adjustment!

I'll stop now before I explode ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just noticed when washing the car.

From the outside of the car if you look at the back of the Xenon light unit you can see the lever that you reach when adjusting from left to right hand drive.

Posted Image

Another piece of useless information!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
ROFL @ Milkfloat "They have falsely robbed you" - as opposed to? [:D]

Mikemod: What part of that assembly (in the pic) is the bit that needs to be moved, and in what direction does it go? (can you use Paint and draw an arrow on there for me?)

Cheers :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts