Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just refitted a Gamma to my motor, but it's nowhere near as good as the old Sony face off radio cassette that I removed - there's no bass compared to the Sony (remember the old VW one with the double bass switch?) - so I'm looking to amplify it if possible. Can i get any adaptor leads that go between the HU and speakers to incorporate an amp?

Which Amp should I go for with facotry speakers?

I've got some brand newPioneer 4 way 6x9's in the loft- was thinking about fitting those onto a stealth shelf- whats the best way to wire them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Or treat yourself to a Sony XM423-SL amp from flea bay, which just connects via iso blocks and fits snuggly into the glove box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wasn't aware of those could somebody tell me what difference he or
anybody would hear as it puts out the same amount of power (in the
specs anyway) as the HU???

If it is a big difference I will get one myself and can you get more powerful versions i.e. up to 50w rms

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have one installed. I just wanted it to crispen up the mid-range as I have a sub installed.

For other members comments, it doesn't make the bass outstanding on
it's own, but when coupled with a sub, and the frequencys cut on the
remaining speakers it does make a difference.

Posted Image

·
Registered
293 Posts
Autoleads PC3-11 from nexxia.co.uk for connecting the amp to the hu
is this all thats needed?? i didnt realise it was possible. my alpines going in to be repaired for the second time, leaving me with the gamma with subs not connected.

does it just plug into 1 of the 3 sockets at the back of the gamma?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have one installed. I just wanted it to crispen up the mid-range as I have a sub installed.

For other members comments, it doesn't make the bass outstanding on
it's own, but when coupled with a sub, and the frequencys cut on the
remaining speakers it does make a difference.
What sub are you using?

·
Registered
293 Posts
removed my alpine head unit last night to send away to get fixed, but after i got the tv installed, whatever way the dealer wired the stereo in the original gamma cant be fitted! ill have to do without for a week or two.

·
Registered
293 Posts
the original loom appears to be intact, but they've put a new power cable straight from one of the iso plugs right to the battery, i believe. all i know is i put the gamma in last night and it wouldnt come on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I know what they have done- the permanent power feed & the igntion power feed in the plug is the wrong way round. i had this problem the other week when i removed a Sony HU. Check your plug against the wiring diagram on the radio. If i remember, one is red/white & the other is yellow. They have to be swapped for aftermarket HU's

·
Registered
494 Posts
HI rtsteel

Do you mean you use the Bass link woofer with the Sony xm423sl amplifier? how
many watts is the subwoofer? is the connection to the amp straight
forward? Thanks

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
HI rtsteel

Do you mean you use the Bass link woofer with the Sony xm423sl amplifier? how
many watts is the subwoofer? is the connection to the amp straight
forward? Thanks
Nope, I just use the Sony amp to power and cross over the front
speakers. The bass link has it's own amp built into the sub which puts
out 200watts via the internal amp

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1538.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
iv just taken my soney x-plode sub (15") and 6 channel JBL amp out of my old mk 3 ! now th jbl amp is huge (roughly 20" long by 12" wide) this is to big for what i want so what amp would i be looking at to run my sub from the gamma head unit ? Or sould i sell my current sub and amp and by some new kit, if so what would you recomend ? [:S]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts