Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im picking up my 03 GT TDI 150BHP next week from the garage. Just wanted to know how you think I should badge it. Its listed on the service book and inside boot sticker as a GTI TDI. I was goin to put the GT TDI with the red TDI badge. What do you think?

Cheers

·
Registered
621 Posts
Personally thats too many letters for my liking, but it's your rear you will be badging and it's all down to what you want it to look like.

my 2p

Carl

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I love badges, but if I were you, I would go for SDI - just for a laugh for a few weeks.

Then I'd really have all red TDI, or GTD (Red DI)

·
Registered
158 Posts
badge it how it should be GTI with red I if you have to badge it at all, stay away from the GT TDI route. this is just my thoughts though

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mine was badged GT TDI when i got it, Dont know what peoples problem with it is.

Que the hate brigade (Who own a "Real" GTI that will point out "GT" is only a trim level)

Currently
ive got TDI all in red with the rabbit in front, Subtle, But other
VW/Vag owners should understand, Espeically them slow 1.8T's haha.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is already a GTI badge on there (with Red I) . I wasnt sure whether to leave it as I dont want tosser coming up to me and saying thats not a real GTI as its a diesel. I think maybe GTI TDI or GT TDI looks like a lot of letters and I dont want to go the route of badgeless as all the local 1.4 Golfs will think they are in the same leauge [:p]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Que the hate brigade (Who own a "Real" GTI that will point out "GT" is only a trim level)
Trim level or not, the GTI is not the 70's/80's icon that it once was. So modern thinkers are entirely justified in saying that a GT TDI (150) is the same as a GTI. VW do, that's why TDI 150's were badged as GTI's - and quite rightly so as they're faster than a 1.8T GTI (150). I think the pwtrol puts out 160-ish*lb/ft of torque compared to the TDI's 230-ish*lb/ft.

But everyone's entitled to their opinions, that's why this forum exists.

(*I can't remember the exact figures, guessed from memory)

Leave it as GTI.

Thats what it is, If any of them dont deserve the GTI badge its the 2.0 N/A ones.
Good point!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Rebadging and adding badges to a car is one of my pet hates and something that chavs enjoy doing. I hate all types of extra badging and false badging. (just my opinion, so don't blow a gasket at me folks). I also have noticed a pattern that a lot of people who own a GT TDI in my area make a point of mentioning it at every opportunity even when talking about the engine as if it makes a difference. Again it's just an observation.

Debadging is a totally different thing. Gives the car a clean tidy look.

So, my opinion is leave it either standard as it 'should' be, or nothing at all.

I apologise for being a bit of a purist but i'm sure that some people will agree with me.

Baz

·
Registered
927 Posts
i thought the 150 had gti spec, hence the legitamcy of using the gti badging

Anyone got more than just anedoetal evidence on this question?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
On the service book and the boot sticker it says GTI TDI EXCLU
Mine too. I would badge TDi , I think its more exclusive and only people in the know, know what all red means. Mine was all silver GTi, but I changed mine for TDi.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer it's just what you prefer. Its a shame they stopped doing that on the mk v's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts