Revo stage 2 or 3

Jabba induction kit

Uprated forge dump valve

Forge front mounted incooler

Bigger turbo?

Sports cat

Full exhaust

4 bar fuel regulator

what parts best and prices also running this power how safe?

·
Registered
165 Posts
300bhp is generally accepted amongst most folk to be surprisingly reliable. Its only when shooting for 350bhp plus that you have to think about beefing up the internals. Some people have well over 400bhp, and still have standard internals. Rather them than me tho..

Your list is a bit off however.. Forget the dump valve, unless your existing one is faulty. Blingy DV's achieve precisely sod all by way of performance gains. Having said that, they don't hurt.. I just think they are vastly over engineered and overpriced things for what they are. Yet the hype surrounding them is huge! But yes, you'd need a bigger turbo for 300bhp. Quite a lot bigger actually, so then you'll be needing an exhaust to turbo manifold to match. Plus other nik naks like oil/water lines and injectors etc etc..
And don't forget, you'll need a beefier clutch aswell, and perhaps a limited slip diff. The standard clutch may work if its in good nik, but I doubt it would last very long..
You might want to take a look at JabbaSport or JBS for these kind of conversions..

I'd not expect any change from ?4k if you want it all done properly. And it could well cost more than that..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so its a lot harder to go from ya revo stage 2 around the 203ish bhp upto the big 300?

whats the 0-60 times of both levels of tuning

·
Registered
438 Posts
so its a lot harder to go from ya revo stage 2 around the 203ish bhp upto the big 300?

Yea it's a lot harder. The stock mechanicals could probably take you to
around 230 or so, im sure someone will prove me wrong. Any more than
that, and your looking at changing a lot of bits.

Also I wouldnt look too much into 0-60 times. If thats all your after,
start out with something lighter than a golf. Also, with 300bhp going
through the front wheels, you're going to have to consider
driveability. Your going to have traction issues, and most likely
severe torque steer. You'd have to get an LSD installed to have any
hope of using that power in anything other than a straight line.
Basically its going to be a bit of a pig. I think, the generally
accepted limit for FWD cars is about 250bhp. But thats on a well set up
car. Add in the whole added turbo lag from the larger turbo, and your
going to have youself a bit of a pig. If you want 300bhp from a 1.8T,
consider getting A3 Quattro 1.8T, or something similar.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
680 Posts

Yea it's a lot harder. The stock mechanicals could probably take you to around 230 or so, im sure someone will prove me wrong. Any more than that, and your looking at changing a lot of bits.

Also I wouldnt look too much into 0-60 times. If thats all your after, start out with something lighter than a golf. Also, with 300bhp going through the front wheels, you're going to have to consider driveability. Your going to have traction issues, and most likely severe torque steer. You'd have to get an LSD installed to have any hope of using that power in anything other than a straight line. Basically its going to be a bit of a pig. I think, the generally accepted limit for FWD cars is about 250bhp. But thats on a well set up car. Add in the whole added turbo lag from the larger turbo, and your going to have youself a bit of a pig. If you want 300bhp from a 1.8T, consider getting A3 Quattro 1.8T, or something similar.

Cheers

Peter
Have you actually ever driven a 300+bhp mk4 golf then?

[:^)]

·
Registered
438 Posts

No, but all im saying is that there are better ways of going about it
if he really wants that kind of output and is focusing on 0-60 times.

I see you drive a ihi ibiza, which is a polo. So have you ever driven a 300bhp mk4 golf?

All im basing it on is my experience driving other FWD cars with a
similar suspension and drivetrain set up, with large amounts of torque,
and the difference AWD makes in something like a WRX. Also basing it on
dynamics and the power delivery of such a set up.

Don't get me wrong, I completely respect the fact you're ihi will be
very quick, im just saying that dynamically, there are better ways of
going about be very quick.

Peter

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Bill is probably the most qualified person on here when it comes to >300bhp 1.8T's

He owned a Golf IV which IIRC had 390bhp so he's no stranger to big power.

He also supplies, fits and maps big turbo's.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bill is probably the most qualified person on here when it comes to >300bhp 1.8T's

Thats fair enough then. I'd love to have a chat with him on how he sets the cars up for the power.

I stand corrected then, golfs can handle (!) 300+ bhp without any significant side effects, so go for it mate!

Don't mind admitting im wrong when someone knows better than me!

Peter

·
Registered
438 Posts

Thats fair enough then.

Bill, I'd love to have a chat with you some time on how you set up the
cars up for the power, as 1 day I might go down that route.!

I stand corrected then, golfs can handle (!) 300+ bhp without any significant side effects, so go for it mate!

Don't mind admitting im wrong when someone knows better than me!

Peter
Do'h, pressed quote instead of edit!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've not driven one myself. But I got a ride in Jabba's IHI'd Octavia today (not strictly Jabba's car, belongs to the new chap there who's name i forget, top bloke tho!). Thats got over 300bhp. Even from the passenger seat, I could tell it was very smooth and progressive, which helps traction no end. Traction wasn't so much worse than a well mapped KO3S car, which I thought was damn good going!
btw, hes selling it. ?7.5k if I remember rightly. Has to be a bargain!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
That does sound like a bargain considering it costs something like 4-5k to assemble all the parts and carry out the conversion

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I see you drive a ihi ibiza, which is a polo. So have you ever driven a 300bhp mk4 golf?
Go on Bill, have you? [;)]
Prepare to duck!!
Ducking! lol [:D]

If you can prove me wrong, then fair play to you and whoever setup your car!

Peter
[;)] LOL at Gary!! class!!

I've driven 340ish hp Golfs and Seats! one with standard trany to... no problem putting down the power... In fact my mate who runs a Porker and built 911 race cars for a living recond that it would of spanked most of the 911 line up!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Go on Bill, have you? [;)]
Prepare to duck!!
Ducking! lol [:D]

If you can prove me wrong, then fair play to you and whoever setup your car!

Peter
[;)] LOL at Gary!! class!!

I've driven 340ish hp Golfs and Seats! one with standard trany to... no problem putting down the power... In fact my mate who runs a Porker and built 911 race cars for a living recond that it would of spanked most of the 911 line up!

·
Registered
931 Posts
its great fun it mk4, boost kicks in slightly later than revo, but pulls hard all the way! doesnt spin up as much as i would have thought, pulled off hard the other day, v.little spin in 1st, into 2nd, spins a litle, into 3rd and no probs [:)]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just incase anyone is interested, this is the IHI'd Octavia I was talking about thats for sale..
http://www.jabbasport.com/news_detail.asp?artid=25
Has a lot more miles on it than I thought, but it doesn't look or drive like a high miler! Far from it in fact. Its really well sorted.
Its definitely a great car for the money. I was tempted, but alas, I really want this kind of oomph in my Bug ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts

No, but all im saying is that there are better ways of going about it if he really wants that kind of output and is focusing on 0-60 times.

Peter
LOL

You dont know me do you.. [:)] Funny readin this thread thru today.

So yes I have driven a 395bhp mk4 Golf as I had one.. IHI'd too... and very very usable. depsite being fwd. surprisingly good chassis on it. more so than my ibiza which starts with a poor chassis and then makes hard work of it. the Golf did have an atb diff as does my ibiza. The faster car being the ibiza, but the golf is a nicer B road car having some suspension travel.

For 0-60 tho... yes, high power does not help too much off the line. If anything slower, finding the balance between spool up & wheelspin.

My ibiza did 5sec to 60mph, and 10sec to 100mph and 160mph (Performance VW magazine back pages and you will see), a few years ago when first converted. 320bhp spec. Now 410bhp spec. You can imagine the traction issues now. LOL

4WD will put the power down off the line better obviously but when rolling.... its a different story.

IHI VF34 is a progressive spool up so the woosh and dollop of torque experienced on mapped K0x cars is'nt there and this makes the power delivery so usable. Not big bang power delivery.. slower to spool, progressive but aggressive to >7Krpm pulling all the way.

Bung on some wider rubber, fit some better brakes and its really pretty damned good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts