Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and will vw do them at scheduled service points?

will they aks me?

when should they be chzanged?

and what should I change them too if I do it myself

·
Registered
611 Posts
According to the Golf maintenance manual (VW,) the spark plugs should be replaced every 4 years or 60k kilometres on all models.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by BigAl on 13/03/2005 18:21:37

According to the Golf maintenance manual (VW,) the spark plugs should be replaced every 4 years or 60k kilometres on all models.

seems about right... has anyone got that special rectangular hook tool they use for getting the coilpacks off tho!!!??

How much do you reckon one would be? Dont fancy trying to get them out without one!![:D][:eek:)]

·
Registered
808 Posts
40'000 miles they are suposed to be chaned or (60'000km) if your in germany but if it was me I would change them at 30'000 miles as I have seen them after 40'000 and its not worth the extra miles IMO.

And yes if your booked in for a 40k sevice they will be included, and if they have been missed at a previous service and ts a 'good' tech doing the job they should advise them anyways.

·
Registered
628 Posts
intrested.

i have questions too!

are oem plugs the best to use and if not what are?

do all v6's have individual coil packs and if not how can you tell?

as mentioned earlier,what tools do you need?

somebody must have done this before,surely.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by JonJon on 15/03/2005 19:57:26

intrested.

i have questions too!

are oem plugs the best to use and if not what are?

do all v6's have individual coil packs and if not how can you tell?

as mentioned earlier,what tools do you need?

somebody must have done this before,surely.

Yes all V64mo's have individual coilpacks (Just the top of the 6 HT leads on the top of your engine)

Not sure about the plugs and the tool which is why I asked earlier so ... *BUMP* comeon somone must know!!![:D]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
To remove the coilpacks, you just pull them, as they fit onto the spark plug in a similar fashion to a HT lead.

Anyone have any recomendations of which plugs are best to use in the V engine as mine are due for their replacement shortly. P.S. I would ideally like to be able to buy plugs in singles as I only need 5.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 16/03/2005 15:23:25

To remove the coilpacks, you just pull them, as they fit onto the spark plug in a similar fashion to a HT lead.

Anyone have any recomendations of which plugs are best to use in the V engine as mine are due for their replacement shortly. P.S. I would ideally like to be able to buy plugs in singles as I only need 5.

I think with our engines tho certainly the v6 lump, something about the head covering makes it very awkward to get your fingers in to pull on the leads...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 16/03/2005 16:34:48

Does this help you ?

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/357640.phtml

Not really sure is you need a socket extension this long on the VW's though [:D]

Posted Image

Would say definitely... for the plug part of it, but The VW chaps use a special Rectangular tool on the 4motion and r32, to actually get the coilpacks off too, cos there is no room to manoevre...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did it today, ?54 quid in all in from my local motorfactors and yes the sold me individual plugs whereas HALFRAUDS wanted me to buy two packs of 4 for a total of ?120!!!!! and no you dont need such a big tool ! you need a 10mm plug socket and a 3/4inch extension bar.

I would say my old plugs were knackered the car seems to rev a bit cleaner when above 5000 rpm and the tips of them had lots of wear on some and virtually none on others.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 16/03/2005 22:08:59

Did it today, ?54 quid in all in from my local motorfactors and yes the sold me individual plugs whereas HALFRAUDS wanted me to buy two packs of 4 for a total of ?120!!!!! and no you dont need such a big tool ! you need a 10mm plug socket and a 3/4inch extension bar.

I would say my old plugs were knackered the car seems to rev a bit cleaner when above 5000 rpm and the tips of them had lots of wear on some and virtually none on others.

what plugs did you use andy, and how old/how many miles has your 4mo done since they were last changed? How did you find removing the coilpacks too?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used the reccomende ngk platinum tipped ones , any decent motor factors should be able to tell you what code you should use, as for removing the coilpacks there is no need the v6's use ht leads and have one big mother of a coilpack on the end of the engine,

and I dont have a clue as to how long ago they were changed

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 17/03/2005 17:20:44

I used the reccomende ngk platinum tipped ones , any decent motor factors should be able to tell you what code you should use, as for removing the coilpacks there is no need the v6's use ht leads and have one big mother of a coilpack on the end of the engine,

and I dont have a clue as to how long ago they were changed

?????!!!!! Andy, What V6 engine have you got??![:D] Ive had two of the six coilpacks replaced and priced up replacements with stealers too!! I watched the VW rescue guy change one b4 my very eyes, cylinder 1 in fact, with a special rectangular hook tool. Cylinder two was replaced at local stealers. Im very confused now...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how olds your car? the early 24v v6 have a single coilpack on the side of the enging above the gearbox the same as the vr6's did I think later cars and the r32 are different

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 17/03/2005 19:45:22

how olds your car? the early 24v v6 have a single coilpack on the side of the enging above the gearbox the same as the vr6's did I think later cars and the r32 are different

understood, yeah the changeover point was 2001. Mine is later engine bud, all makes sense now.[:D]

·
Registered
628 Posts
v6 4motion plug part numbers are :-

ngk PZFR5D-11

VW 101000062AB WITH A PLUG GAP OF 0.044"

mine has 2 different plugs in 2 correct ones and 4 ngk pfr6q / vw 101000063aa

anyone know what the later are supposed to be for?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts