Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive around 9000 miles per annum, my car was set to long life service but I opted to have a lubrication service at 12 months with the clock showing 9000ish miles. I have now had my car set to 12 monthly services.

Should I be changing the oil at a more regular interval than 12months / 9000 miles?

I was thinking of changing the oil and filter myself between services which would result in oil changed every 6 months or 4500 miles.

Is this excessive?

I dont hang around in my car so would like to know its well taken care of internally.

Im using Synta Gold fully sythetic if that matters.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Gary ,according to the bentley manual, it says that the oil and oil filter on a 1.8T should be changed every 5000miles, and thats exactly what i do!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I'll do just that then.

I'd sooner take the cautious approach anyway for the cost of 5litres of oil and a filter.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
I ordered my bentley manual from autometrix publications, who i think print volkswagen driver magazine , a forum member Neil Birkett is the editor, send him a PM and hell send you hes telephone number , after which you can order a manual, this manual gives all the info you need ,makes the haynes manual look like a `quick` run through compared to the bentley manual, theres even a torque setting for the nuts that hold your rear light clusters on!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Change mine every 5K, easy DIY job although the filter is a pain if you have aircon or climate, however I do it you always get oil spil on those pipes. Soon sorted with a rag though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Every 5k for me too, but i'm a bit of a tart so cover everything with newspaper to save me wiping oil of anything [:D]

edit: does everyone change their sump plug washer every time too ? or is that just me...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does any one change the oil but NOT the filter? I know its older oil in the filter but compared to the fresh stuff going in, its going to get diluted, no[?]

AnilS.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The filter could be clogged up with alsorts of carp, for that reason I wouldnt even contemplate changing the oil without the filter.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The filter is only ?4 and some sheckels from the Stealers so it makes sense. I have got one of those Fumoto valves ready to fit, looks like a good piece of kit.

I also bought a oil filter removal socket from halfords for a fiver, fits on the end of the filter on the flats and makes removal a doddle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts