Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to look at this yesterday....... only about 5 mins from my house, so is super convenient.

Volkswagen Golf 1.8 GTi T

1999 V Reg , 61,000 miles

Climate, Alloys, etc.

£8995

Posted Image

The thing that put me off at first was the mileage....... but.... considering i do about 9k tops per year myself, im probably gonna bring its average down over a few years.

I know its not worth the £9k asking price, simply due to its mileage.... what would be a good bargaining price... £8500-8700? (all depending on what he offers me for mine that is).

·
Registered
703 Posts
Chris,

I reckon that car could be as much as a grand too much - I paid only £9400 for my car a year ago (non VW dealer) with 64k on the clock, and it's a 2000 model (W) so it was only 2.5 years old at the time.

Mind you it depends a lot on what he offers you for a part exchange!

Chris

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Chris look for a 00 for that money, I know you'll prob change them but that'll come with Monty IIs and will still have the proper Recaros.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Chris,

These are the 1999/2000/2001 spec changes to look out for(Irish's info is not 100% correct):

June 1999(T) MFA computer moved from base of revcounter to between revcounter/speedo. Most if not all V reg cars should have this.

March 2000(W) Manual ac now standard in lieu of sunroof.

June 2000(W) Wheels changed; Montreal 2 now fitted.(Stangely Montreal 1s reappeared for about 3 months from Feb-May 2001)

Cable throttle replaced by DBW throttle.

Oct 2000(X) ASR traction control now fitted in addition to EDL.

May 2001(Y) Recaros replaced by new style of sports seat.

I think that black GTI in the photo is @ £500 overpriced; my car is a 1999 T reg, same model but a 5 door(Indigo Blue), also has climate but has In-dash 6 CD player, almost new V6 alloys/tyres, 43,500 miles and a (non-VW)dealer offered me £7800 as a p/ex against a newer Golf.

Matt

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent, cheers Matt! [:)]

I'm gonna go have a natter with the salesman on Monday..... firstly, see what he will give me for mine (£5500 is my aim), and ill play it from there. At least i now have a few opinions that the car isnt worth what its up at.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Chris,

Something I meant to say earlier was the "stance" of the car doesnt look right imo. I'm not a suspension expert but the 1.8Ts usually sit squat/level on the road; that black one seems to be slightly nose-down; maybe it's the photo or a sloping forecourt.

Matt

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for that Gary [:D]

Mike - Grey ones are a bloody nightmare to track down, very few around.. especially for the money i want to pay. Plus, i want a 3dr, with Climate... and it narrows it down even more.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, diamond black [:)]

Will look even better with a set of Santa's that i plan on getting within its first week of ownership [;)]

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think that one is a bit over priced... there is so many GTI's about have a good look around.. im sure there is better deals out there..

If I was you I would get a 5door as the older the 3 door ones getter the more the big heavy doors sag.

X reg ones had the AUM drive by wire engine which is better for tunning & it also still has the recaro interia.

y reg has the AUM engine with the sports KO3 turbo(better than on previous models) with the sports seats (non recaro) it also has un uprated clutch over previous models..

I would go for the X or y reg. depending on what you can stretch too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts