Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Tom White on 11/04/2005 14:31:37

Evilhomer - you got any side on pics of yours?

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49969

Those are some older pictures. The car is dropped a little lower now, but also I run 225/35/18 rubber, which deceivingly makes the car look a little higher (rolling radius is slightly reduced.)

In addition the camber on the back is quite far inboard, which again is decieving as to ride height (Camber is being resolved at the mo)

[:D]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Your 19"s increase the rolling radius, lifting the car. all depends on what you are measuring, if you are measuring arch gap, then maybe not, if you are measuring hub/sill to floor, I think you will find mine is lower. And like i said the pics are about 3months old... the care has come down more now. (Coilovers)

What I would say is I woundnt come down any more, as IMO yours looks just right.[:D]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Tom White on 12/04/2005 13:40:02

Quote: posted by Caged on 11/04/2005 10:11:50

Centre of wheel to wheel arch lip is 380mm as standard if that helps..

Scott

Means mines a 60mil drop then! [:)]

Im probably confusing the situation here, but the hub to arch, on at least the 4motion, is 360mm standard, NOT 380mm.

My arch to hub on the front at this precise moment in time (front) is 305mm on the nearside, and 310 offside (As you can tell I have not quite evened it on my offside yet. I havnt decided whether to lift it to 310 on the nearside , or drop to 305 on the offside yet, as I dont have any catching or rubbing on either but sometimes worry about how low my sump is!!) Both backs are on the lowest setting 315mm, although I am awaiting some poly replacements to my adjusters at the back, to hopefully sneak it down between another 5 and 10mm)

So based on MY figures, I have come down 50, and 55mm at the front. based on YOUR figures, I have come down 70, and 75mm!!!!

[:D][:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Tom White on 12/04/2005 14:20:41

Mines only a 20v non turbo so wouldnt have yours had lower sus/better shocks to start with?

I suppose that must be the case. I didnt think the difference was as big as 20mm tho, because I thought they all come with 'Sport' type suspension (The Gti's/4motions etc.)

I suppose the only figures to go by are the final hub to arch figures, not the claimed amount of drop, because all the mk4's have different starting points... ie if you put a similar FWD version of my coilovers on, you would probably get down nearly as far (Would imagine the 19's would prevent you doing quite as much without any catching.)

Personally if I was wanting a car for looks alone, I would 100% go with 19's, but I needed mine to be slammed AND still driveable (ie no catching etc) so I stuck with 18's and the lower than normal profile rubber.)

Like I said, I think your motors looking sweet. I have a mate local who has a 1.8T in the same colour and about the same ride height, on 19" porsche rims... looks the b*llox!! Tis a nice colour to work with, Indigo blue.[:D]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by kelvin_v5 on 12/04/2005 14:54:00

Quote: posted by evilhomer on 12/04/2005 12:00:45

Not sure what size wheels you are running there fella, could be 16, or 17? Either way, looks like approximately a 30mm drop on 16" wheels as a guess.[?]

It is 17" wheels um....30mm??[:(]

Possibly a little more fella. Again depends on the intitial ride height, but if you have a V5, you already have lowered sport suspension as standard... Measure the distance from the wheel centre to the arch (vertically) standard should be 360mm/380mm (see above for explanation!!), so whatever difference it is at the mo is your drop.

LOL @ Big Pimp (Bouncy as frig???!!!!)

IMO the only to really get good ride with a decent drop is coilovers. preferably height and damping adjust, although height adjust should be fine. (go for KW or FK, excellent prices)[:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.