Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you can all post how much torque you have on the DMF with no problems ...... and actually DO use your max torque often, no good saying the DMF is fine on your 500 ft-lb tdi if your only using 250 lb-ft most of the time.

Mine has failed within 10,000 miles of my remap to 204 bhp and around 320 lb-ft ..... my car was on 112,000 when remapped.

So ...... torque figures on DMF's that actually get put through regular aggresive driving [au][cop]

·
Registered
988 Posts
360lbft on mine gets put through my original DMF and I mean the full 360lbft! I didn't get my car up to this level to then not use the full power available to me.

I've had no problems whatsoever with my DMF over the last 16k or so miles I've been running it. The only thing that has been changed is the clutch and pressure plate for Sachs Performance items.

Ryan

·
A4 Avant 2.0TFSI Quattro S-Line Special Edition
2,208 Posts
not as high as you guys, but mines 270lbft on a 5speed box. Had mine replaced jan '10 and its gone again already within 10,000 miles

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
360lbft on mine gets put through my original DMF and I mean the full 360lbft! I didn't get my car up to this level to then not use the full power available to me.

I've had no problems whatsoever with my DMF over the last 16k or so miles I've been running it. The only thing that has been changed is the clutch and pressure plate for Sachs Performance items.

Ryan
Cheers for the reply, i will look into your build thread. Do you do any track days? Any motorway driving consistant flooring it in like 5th 6th from low revs (e.g 60-100 mph)?

have you limited the torque @ 360 lb-ft? i notice your on 240 bhp so clearlly have upgraded turbo spec, i expected a turbo upgrade would allow more than 360 lb-ft.

Im just trying to learn from everyone else with experience to help me make the correct choices in the 1st place. As it is at the moment i plan to fit the Helix clutch and single mass flywheel next month (even though i would rather have dmf). I would like to acheive 240 bhp and 400 lb-ft and i like agressive power delivery.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine was remapped to 304lb-ft at 79k miles and the DMF started rattling at 96k miles, had it replaced at 98k miles when the car needed some other work. Did take a fair amount of abuse though!
And how many miles are you on since you replaced the DMF?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not as high as you guys, but mines 270lbft on a 5speed box. Had mine replaced jan '10 and its gone again already within 10,000 miles
DMF or clutch? or both? your case totally strengthens my case for the helix clutch and Single mass flywheel.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
295lb/ft torque. New VW DMF and Sachs sports clutch fitted. Runs like a dream!

Bobby_singhs runs 390lb/ft torque without issue!
How many miles have you done on your new DMF? I heard 300 lb-ft is the limit of standard clutch/flywheel abilities. Is there a reason your on 295 lb/ft and not more?

I suspect Bobby is a sensible day to day driver and has a very progressive torque curve, possiblly not punnishing his DMF nowhere near what his car is capeable of doing.

There is a reson lots of tdi owners running MUCH less torque have DMF failures .... i cant ignore that!!! There are far more owners with failure at 300 lb-ft ... compared to owners with 390 lb-ft and no DMF failure. Being a poker player i work on mathematics and the odds of probability [:DD]

·
2,208 Posts
DMF or clutch? or both? your case totally strengthens my case for the helix clutch and Single mass flywheel.
Clutch failed (split in two)

so replaced DMF and clutch with sachs OEM spec clutch at the time.

Its not completly gone, but in 4th and 5th with foot to floor 1200-2000k the car vibrates like crazy!

SMF and uprated clutch next for me. DMF clutches are poo in my opinion!

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
295lb/ft torque. New VW DMF and Sachs sports clutch fitted. Runs like a dream!

Bobby_singhs runs 390lb/ft torque without issue!
How many miles have you done on your new DMF? I heard 300 lb-ft is the limit of standard clutch/flywheel abilities. Is there a reason your on 295 lb/ft and not more?

I suspect Bobby is a sensible day to day driver and has a very progressive torque curve, possiblly not punnishing his DMF nowhere near what his car is capeable of doing.

There is a reson lots of tdi owners running MUCH less torque have DMF failures .... i cant ignore that!!! There are far more owners with failure at 300 lb-ft ... compared to owners with 390 lb-ft and no DMF failure. Being a poker player i work on mathematics and the odds of probability
Sachs sports clutch and DMF have covered approx 10k miles. My remap is 295lb/ft as that was what was offered to me. I can get the torque turned up anytime as the 'mapper' is my mates brother in law. I have to say I'm happy with the grunt my car has but you know how long that statement will last for[whistle]

I don't think Bobby's car is all show and no go. I do understand he uses the power on offer. I'm sure Bobby will confirm this himself!

·
Registered
988 Posts

Ryan
Cheers for the reply, i will look into your build thread. Do you do any track days? Any motorway driving consistant flooring it in like 5th 6th from low revs (e.g 60-100 mph)?

have you limited the torque @ 360 lb-ft? i notice your on 240 bhp so clearlly have upgraded turbo spec, i expected a turbo upgrade would allow more than 360 lb-ft.

Im just trying to learn from everyone else with experience to help me make the correct choices in the 1st place. As it is at the moment i plan to fit the Helix clutch and single mass flywheel next month (even though i would rather have dmf). I would like to acheive 240 bhp and 400 lb-ft and i like agressive power delivery.
No track days yet but I do give the car a good drive every week, I'm up in Cumbria so we have some great roads to really let loose on.

My car will happily pull hard on the motorway from cruising revs in 6th without having to drop a cog and will quite easily spin up the wheels in 2nd & 3rd if I drop the power in hard.

You mention flooring from low revs, now this may be the cause of many of the issues people get with DMF's in general and why some people seem to go through them like packets of pringles even with fairly low amounts of torque. It's not good practice in any car to try and floor it from very low revs in any gear, that's the point of gears! It's almost like saying I like to drop my clutch at 3500rpm from a standing start but I don't want to wear my tyres down in 4k miles, well dur of course thats going to happen.

I can be sat at 2000rpm on the motorway in 6th and just press the pedal to the floor without worrying but I wouldn't try the same thing from 1100rpm in 4th!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rsscott i agree with you thats exactlly what the DMF hates!!!!!! My car never see's 1100 rpm when moving nevermind flooring it from such low revs. However it does see flooring from 1600 rpm or so a lot.

Hard for me to not floor it on the motorways when im cruising at 60-80 mph and something passes me in the next lane. Dropping gears every 5 minutes kind of defeats what diesels and motorway driving is about.

My racer instinct wont let me accept the bmw's/audi's/mercs passing me without at least showing them that VW diesels rule!!!!! (conditions and situation allowing) [surrender]

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Setting off at 3500 rpm would be pointless anyway, i only really use 1st gear to get moving off the line then its into second and peddle to the floor.

I still worn my front down in 4000 miles [whistle]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Torque can be a killer, my old Focus ST3 had 520+NM of torque and bent 3 driveshafts in 4 years following my power upgrade to that. From past experience I try and get a custom remap on my cars and limit torque in gears 1/2 then allow full power in 3/4/5/6 etc. Saves all sorts of issues many others get when they get used to doing full torque launches and stop start traffic driving around town..

·
2,208 Posts
My torque comes in at 1500rpm and it tails off again after 2500rpm so its pointless to not floor it in this rev range to get the most use of the torque [:S] plus mines with virtually no motorway miles. If the DMF can't handle it, then its obviously not up to the job [:)]

·
Registered
988 Posts
Rsscott i agree with you thats exactlly what the DMF hates!!!!!! My car never see's 1100 rpm when moving nevermind flooring it from such low revs. However it does see flooring from 1600 rpm or so a lot.
Well you wont be once your running 240+bhp because it simply wont happen like you think it will. One of the first things you will notice once you start looking at bigger turbos or hybrids and running higher boost is that your once quite quick boosting car will start being a little more laggy.

When I originally had mine running standard and even with a remap on the PD130 turbo I could do just that 1500rpm and foot down no problem it would get on the boost and hit the peak pressure along with the torque. However once you start going for more power and therefore more boost you do loose that really early boost and it moves up the rev range which means no more 1500rpm foot to the floor. Or at least if you do do it you just don't really go anywhere all that quickly until the revs rise a bit and then Boom! Your off...

What you do get however is much more power top end as the peak boost is higher and it holds much more boost much further up the revs. It's a trade off but that's life..

·
Registered
988 Posts
For example my peak torque hits at about 2800rpm (I have 300lbft at 2200rpm too) and keeps above 300lbft all the way up to 4200rpm, if you compare that to a standard PD130 theres a massive difference, I think the PD130 hit peak between about 1800rpm and 2000rpm and then tailed off big style.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For example my peak torque hits at about 2800rpm (I have 300lbft at 2200rpm too) and keeps above 300lbft all the way up to 4200rpm, if you compare that to a standard PD130 theres a massive difference, I think the PD130 hit peak between about 1800rpm and 2000rpm and then tailed off big style.
Yup, thats what id expect. I know bigger turbos mean more lag and produce their torque/power higher in the rev range compared to standard turbo. All it would mean is my current flooring from around 1600 rpm would turn into flooring from around 2000-2200 rpm, i know the score. I would simply adjust to suit.

The main thing for me when upgrading turbo is justifying the loss of low down drivability in return for higher and later power gains. Im not sure if its a cost effective mod yet, i feel i would need minimum 240bhp and close to 400 lb-ft torque to justify the loss of standard turbo setup running at my current 204 bhp and around 320 lb-ft torque. I expect the car after turbo upgrade cant be driven lazy anymore, requires a lot more involvement and work to make fast progress but in return obviouslly gives you a faster car when driven this way.

Turbo lag isnt much of a worry for me, if i feel like i want to go fast i just dont go off boost, i hover around part of the rev range when its ready for instant drive. If im in heavy traffic and way off boost .... well thats irrelevant because in built up traffic there is no use for crazy power unless you fancy smashing into someones rear end.

I know all about making engines work in their optimum power/torque range, ive spent 4 years racing a 2 stroke honda rs250 grand prix bike (85-90 bhp and 120 kilo weight) around the uk's racetracks, under optimum range its a 3 second 0-60mph bike that can do upto around 175 mph on the right track/gearing, ride it out of its power range however and you may aswell go buy a 50cc scooter!!!!!

Seems this thread has gone wayyyyyyyy off chat about what torque the DMF can handle lol [:#]

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yup, thats what id expect. I know bigger turbos mean more lag and produce their torque/power higher in the rev range compared to standard turbo. All it would mean is my current flooring from around 1600 rpm would turn into flooring from around 2000-2200 rpm, i know the score. I would simply adjust to suit.

The main thing for me when upgrading turbo is justifying the loss of low down drivability in return for higher and later power gains. Im not sure if its a cost effective mod yet, i feel i would need minimum 240bhp and close to 400 lb-ft torque to justify the loss of standard turbo setup running at my current 204 bhp and around 320 lb-ft torque. I expect the car after turbo upgrade cant be driven lazy anymore, requires a lot more involvement and work to make fast progress but in return obviouslly gives you a faster car when driven this way.

Turbo lag isnt much of a worry for me, if i feel like i want to go fast i just dont go off boost, i hover around part of the rev range when its ready for instant drive. If im in heavy traffic and way off boost .... well thats irrelevant because in built up traffic there is no use for crazy power unless you fancy smashing into someones rear end.

I know all about making engines work in their optimum power/torque range, ive spent 4 years racing a 2 stroke honda rs250 grand prix bike (85-90 bhp and 120 kilo weight) around the uk's racetracks, under optimum range its a 3 second 0-60mph bike that can do upto around 175 mph on the right track/gearing, ride it out of its power range however and you may aswell go buy a 50cc scooter!!!!!

Seems this thread has gone wayyyyyyyy off chat about what torque the DMF can handle lol
Not really because the point I was trying to make was that if your not driving your car properly to begin with then your going to cause yourself more problems with clutch and DMF regardless of the power your putting through it. That doesn't mean not driving aggressively or using all the power available it just means know how to use it, and dropping it in 4th, 5th or 6th at silly low revs isn't it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts