Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called timpsons, told them i have the blank...they quoted me £30 minimum! My nearest store is 15 miles away and he wouldn't say if he could even cut it without seeing it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ripoff, theres a guy on ebay called keysinthepost or type it in google, he charges 10quid had a few done from him, all did was email a picture of my current key[<:eek:)]

last set got done was for a 58reg polo, 2 keys for £80 posted, what a bargin, the ripoff dealers wanted £150 a key!!!

and he's r all original not fakes.[H]

i can defo vouch for him as done around 10 for me[:)], he's been doing it for 20yrs+ so not a backstreet key cutter , does it on a laser machine

[au]

·
London Refurbs&#39;
5,615 Posts
I got a key cut for my old derv at an Asda keycutters for the huge sum of....................................................................................................................................................................nothing lol

He said because you supplied the key i will cut it for you, i chucked him a tenna for being so nice and thats that.

Oh and once programmed it worked fine.

Peter

·
London Refurbs&#39;
5,615 Posts
You can get the key cut at any locksmiths but it will need programming to the immobiliser using vag-tacho. If you or no one you know has this then the dealers can programm it for around £50 i believe.

Peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went to my local vw dealer and he quoted me £100+ for a new key and to get it programmed rip off if u ask me . It's the programming that costs the most £80 a think thay said to me .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Got these instructions of the net for my 2004 TDi with the 2 button key. Didn't need to try it as got sorted elsewhere but I understand it works although it's up to you if you want to risk it.

Introduce key into the ignition

turn key until contact is made and hold for a maximum of five seconds

take key out of lock

(you now have 20 seconds)

hold down the locking button,whilst doing this press the unlock button 3
times,then let go of the locking button and the led should flash 5 times.

if this worked it should now open the central locking,if not your key fob is
foooked

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went to my local vw dealer and he quoted me £100+ for a new key and to get it programmed rip off if You ask me . It's the programming that costs the most £80 a think thay said to me .
yeah the main dealers r a ripoff, they cant sell the cars so they try it with the servicing and parts

but saying that my local dealer gives me the security code for free when other dealers charge 25 quid

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coding a second hand key was pretty simple using vag tacho, it wasn't working on vag com (registered) I already had the blank and after searching the net found a local guy that done it quoted me £12. So went to his house and he messed up my blank as it moved in the jig and cut the totally wrong pattern then blamed it on the metal in the blank I supplied lol! Luckily he said if i get a replacment he will cut it for free! Now it just so happens I have one on the way ;) Anyway he had a none transponder blank key so he cut that. I then brought it home smashed the plastic end off and dremeled it to fit my new 3 button fob lol. What a fiasco! upside I now have two keys that operate both the imobilser and the central locking. Total cost of the second key was just £25 so happy with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts